Iron Maiden stage sets over the years

Stage sets trivia:

A Matter Of Life And Death
and Legacy Of The Beast are the only tours for which there was a ''moving piece'' part of the stage design - tank chains (click here) and moving lava (click here). The songs were ''Iron Maiden'' and ''The Number Of The Beast''.

Stage sets trivia:

Eddie Rips Up The World
had a different stage design for the first 2 songs in the setlist (''Murders In The Rue Morgue'' and ''Another Life'') - Live at the Rainbow, Beast Over Hammersmith, WPT poster, Avacia Avenue decors etc were replaced with IM, Killers and TNOTB Eddies in a triangle with dark ramps similar to those used in 1982.

I think that way the stage looked much better, although they could have found room for POM Eddie too. You can compare the two designs below:

Attachments

• MITRM-AL.png
    MITRM-AL.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 2005 tour.png
    2005 tour.png
    846.6 KB · Views: 44
How much does Maiden's stage set cost? It can't be that expensive since they often re-use assets from previous tours (such as backdrops).

I read that Rammstein's stage cost $6m to build. Are Rammstein bigger than Maiden? Surely not. If so how are they able to spend more money on their stage? There's no way Maiden's stage set costs $6m.

Last edited:
How much does Maiden's stage set cost? Surely it can't be that expensive since they often re-use assets from previous tours (such as backdrops)
I read that Rammstein's stage cost $6m to build. Are Rammstein bigger than Maiden? Surely not. If so how are they able to spend more money on their stage? There's no way Maiden's stage set costs $6m.
I am not so sure. Nowadays Rammstein sells out stadiums... Rammstein's stage is clearly built with stadium in mind, whereas Maiden stage looks best indoors. In my opinion, Rammstein is becoming like Metallica after Black album. People attending their shows, anticipating fire, Fire, enormous stage show. Their music is somewhat simplier, clear rhythm is prevalent, so much more casual listeners go to the concert and quickly identifies with the songs.

Last edited:
Maiden don't invest that much in a stage show. Honestly, compare Bruce's flamethrowering to what Rammstein are doing show wise. And I am Maiden fan, not Rammstein's.

Well Rammstein sold out two stadiums in the UK. I'd say they're bigger than Maiden honestly. Plus have you seen their stage compared to Maiden's? Compare this to a few naff inflatable pagodas and spitfires.

1j8xzf.jpg

BNW tour stage looks so bad. Those sticks, meh...
The stage for the 2010 tour (or for a future Reunion era Hits tour) should have been a remake of the BNW stage (DOD and AMOLAD tours had better stage sets) and the surprise for the 2011 tour stage would have been big. The name of the tour would have been different then (they named the tour like that because of TFF stage set).
-> The stage could have been with the same shape, but with the futuristic city from the cover as a decor and two towers at both sides end.

If they do a proper Reunion albums-only tour in the future, the stage could be a fusion of all album tours stage sets (The Ed Hunter Tour failed at this, because it only copied the stage sets for Powerslave and POM)... btw, this is a great idea for the final tour of the band too - Maiden Temple! I hope it won't be messy, haha.

I thought Def Leppard were the headliners. Is Motley Crue's comeback really so big of a deal that it puts them at the top? What a joke.
They're alternating night-to-night. Stadium tours with 3-4 decent to big sized bands are becoming a thing more and more here it seems.

It's a joint headline tour with Def Leppard and Poison supporting.
I never thought Def Leppard could fill a parking. They’re still mi liking Pour some sugar on me and hysteria songs :facepalm:
About Motley Crue and Poison never liked me at all. Maybe they’re still wearing panties and chains at their 60’s

Well Rammstein sold out two stadiums in the UK. I'd say they're bigger than Maiden honestly. Plus have you seen their stage compared to Maiden's? Compare this to a few naff inflatable pagodas and spitfires.

View attachment 21662
I understand why people like this. You could go to a Rammstein show without knowing a single song and still be entertained. But I feel Maiden is doing just enough. Anything beyond the Seventh Son stage design would take away from what it should be about - the music. I loved the early shows and the 1990-1996 Maiden stage designs because of the minimalizm. I'd rather have a full video release from a No Prayer on the Road show than a Somewhere on Tour show.

But I feel Maiden is doing just enough. Anything beyond the Seventh Son stage design would take away from what it should be about - the music.

I loved the early shows and the 1990-1996 Maiden stage designs because of the minimalizm. I'd rather have a full video release from a No Prayer on the Road show than a Somewhere on Tour show.
^ I agree with the first part of your comment. The Seventh Son stage design was a product of its time though.

About the rest of your comment, I'm a big fan of TXF stage design, but there's no way the stage sets from the Early years or those from 1990-1993 are better than the Somewhere On Tour stage production.

^ I agree with the first part of your comment. The Seventh Son stage design was a product of its time though.

About the rest of your comment, I'm a big fan of TXF stage design, but there's no way the stage sets from the Early years or those from 1990-1993 are better than the Somewhere On Tour stage production.
A matter of personal taste! Just look at it!

Attachments

• E6F36234-5F8E-4A2E-A2C7-995CD7D7F8F3.jpeg
    E6F36234-5F8E-4A2E-A2C7-995CD7D7F8F3.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 32
My review of every stage set:

ALBUM TOURS:

Iron Maiden Tour - the stage was with Marshall amplifiers, but Eddie from the debut album cover as an early backdrop and the smoke effects/lanters during the title song were cool. A glimpse of the future! This was the first album tour of the band, so they can't do that much.

Killer World Tour - the stage was the same as for the previous tour but with Killers Eddie as a backdrop. Maybe they could have done something a bit different, but this was their second tour, so it's understandable.

The Beast On The Road - now that's better. The ramps were such a great idea (especially when they play HBTN). The album cover as a backdrop again was a very good decision. The light show was really dark for this tour, but it was fitting. Also the first real walk-on Eddie (and not only).

World Piece Tour - the stage could have been better (with the use of the yellow walls from the album cover as a decor). The pipes were not a good idea imo and the grey theme of the stage too. The chess floor is one of my favorites. The big Eddie head above the drums was the best decision they made for this stage. Love it! The light show rings looked great.

World Slavery Tour - an all time classic stage! Amazing and majestic! I love the theme. It's like we're inside a pyramid! Every detail, from the backdrops, stage props, decoration, floor artwork and light show was perfect!

Somewhere On Tour - the great inflatable futuristic tour! Another classic stage design (it can be surpassed). The stage was not so massive like for the previous tour, but with its shape and the stairs on either side, it looked like a landed space ship. The big light show (especially for the intro) and the big Eddie were amazing. The pyrotechnics, the inflatable space ship and the hydraulic stands were also quite fitting for this tour.

Seventh Tour Of A Seventh Tour - now here's how to make a mystical stage for a concept album! The icebergs along with the cloud & moon backdrop were magnificent. The light show was especially great for this tour. For me this is the ultimate metal show with its visuals and concept.

No Prayer On The Road - Marshall amplifiers again? Well, the album cover is not so good for a stage set. The highlight are the massive backdrops that were combined great with the light show. A tradition was born. The reveal of the big Eddie is worth it. This stage is better than the ones in the early days of the band.

Fear Of The Dark Tour - the ramps are a good addition, but the stage is the same as the previous tour - why? The album cover has a lot of potential. It's a bit disappointing. A stage with a ''wood'' decor would have been perfect. The backdrops and the floor artwork were good, as always.

The X Factour - the decor, colours and shape were perfect for the album cover. I like it a lot. The great light show was really needed for this stage and tour. The big Eddie was a highlight. The only gripe is that there were almost no backdrops for this tour.

Virtual XI World Tour - the different shape was a very good decision, but the decors could have been a bit better. It fits the theme of the album though and it's cool. The light show was on point. This stage easily could have been done for the 1999 tour.

Brave New World Tour - the album cover has so much potential - the stage should have been the futuristic city from it. I mean, the BNW Eddies and the scaffolds as decors were kind of good but it was so easy and lazy. TWM Eddie was the highlight for sure. The light show and the backdrops saved the stage.

Dance Of Death World Tour - a castle with towers, wall and gate (the big Eddie was striking from there)... bloody great and classic metal stage! Great light show and floor artwork too. This stage could have been used for the Senjutsu album. My only gripe is that some of the songs had no backdrop.

A Matter Of Life And Death Tour - the decors were so fitting for this tour. The stage could have been with a different shape and with some more interesting props (you know barbed wire, trenches). The big Eddie with the tank and the moving chains was the highlight of the tour and from all tours of the band.

The Final Frontier World Tour - space station with towers, great idea. Classy stage. It goes perfectly with the ''stars'' backdrop. It could have been with a different shape and more complex.

The Book Of Souls World Tour - one of their all time best stage sets! The decors are impressive. The stones, towers, lights show, pyro, floor artwork, Mayan calendar above the stage, the prop for IESF and especially the backdrops were amazing!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HISTORY/HITS TOURS:

Real Live Tour - this is basically the 2nd leg of the FOTD tour, so the stage was the same. The stage for the Raising Hell concert is better.

The Ed Hunter Tour - this stage is a bit messy. I don't know why they wanted to make a Powerslave 2.0 stage. It's not bad, but it's not that great either. It fits the theme of the game though. They should have come up with something more interesting and unique (temple, dungeon or something). The floor artwork was not a good idea, although it looked 3D. The big Eddie was great, while the grate was a nice stage prop.

Give Me Ed... 'Til I'm Dead Tour - the ring for the backdrops is awesome. I like it a lot. The Eddies within the stage decor was a great idea, but they should have made them smaller and all of the Eddies so far should have been added. Killers Eddie and FOTD Eddie were chosen to be the constant backdrop for the tour (something unique!). The light show was cool (even for the opening song). This stage could have been much much better.

Eddie Rips Up The World Tour - this is the worst stage set for me. The stage should have been a street alley with some props (like lamps, bins) in honour of the early album covers. The decors are messy. The look of the stage for the first two songs with the 3 triangles with Eddies inside and dark decors is better. At least every song has a backdrop. It was as if they wanted to replicate the stage above. Lazy move.

Somewhere Back In Time World Tour - revisiting Egypt is always great. Top stage and ''main'' backdrop.

Maiden England World Tour - this stage is not better than the 1988 one. The frozen backdrops & Eddies within the decors were such a great idea (and continuation of the album cover like for TXF tour), but the overall look of the stage is not so impressive. The light show and pyro was one of their best!

Legacy Of The Beast World Tour - one of Maiden's (and not only) best and most spectacular stage sets! Amazing props, decors and light show! The Cathedral realm is a highlight. I like how there were several Eddie warriors within the stage decors and they're not too big. Impressive visuals!

* Senjutsu realm - the Pagodas and the decors are really cool. I like this stage set a lot. Only the middle Pagoda should have been inflatable. A perfect blend of red and grey colours. I like that the decors also contain part of a wall! The burning torches within the decors are such a cool detail. It was the perfect stage for the album.

Back