Iron Maiden stage sets over the years

Fear Of The Dark/ A Real Live Tour: Cool branch filled scenario inspired in the album cover and a cool inflatable Eddie. A big upgrade from the previous tour regarding visuals. It also featured an abomination of a walking Eddie that the band rightfully ditched after a few appearances. (17/20)

I always thought they should had been more adventurous with the stage design for the FOTD tour. It looked almost like the one for the NPOTR tour but with a little improvements - the ramps over Nicko's drum kit (and of course, the floor artwork was different).

For example, the stage design could have been with a wood decor (resembling the tree from the album cover) instead of the Marshall amps - and a change in the shape of the stage would have been cool (by change in the shape, I mean something like the shape of the VXI tour stage)..... by that way it will look more massive.

The stage design for the RLT was good with the Marshall amps, I guess (they also looked well for the NPOTR tour stage).

For me the best stage setup was the World Slavery Tour, but then again I saw them live in Detroit, MI for that show! It was awesome! And now I'm probably showing my age a bit LOL.

Stage sets floors for all tours... Part 1 - the 80's:

Attachments

• im & killers & tbotr.jpg
    im & killers & tbotr.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 27
  • wpt.png
    wpt.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 30
  • wst.png
    wst.png
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • sot.jpg
    sot.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 30
  • stoast.png
    stoast.png
    853.6 KB · Views: 33
Stage sets floors for all tours... Part 2 - the 90's:

Attachments

• npotr.png
    npotr.png
    407.6 KB · Views: 25
  • fotd & rlt.png
    fotd & rlt.png
    474.8 KB · Views: 23
  • txf.png
    txf.png
    217.6 KB · Views: 22
  • vxi.png
    vxi.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 33
  • teh.png
    teh.png
    445.9 KB · Views: 35
Stage sets floors for all tours... Part 3 - reunion era:

- for TFF tour 2010 leg floor (click here).
- the 3 Eddies on the floor for GMED tour are SIT, Powerslave and POM.

Attachments

• bnw.png
    bnw.png
    934.1 KB · Views: 52
  • gmed.jpg
    gmed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • dod.jpg
    dod.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 36
  • early days tour.jpg
    early days tour.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • amolad.png
    amolad.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 38
  • sbit.jpg
    sbit.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 35
  • tff 2011.png
    tff 2011.png
    646.7 KB · Views: 40
  • me.png
    me.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 46
  • tbos.png
    tbos.png
    586.1 KB · Views: 23
  • lotb.jpg
    lotb.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The reuse of the World Piece Tour stage floor design in EdHuntour is sort of a nice callback to the 80's, but... it doesn't really fit in the slightest, even if that particular stage design wasn't messy enough. :D But yeah, dragging few stage elements from the 80's to that tour was probably part of the concept anyway.

Ok with Maiden and Def Leppard's stages but I disagree with the rest…Metallica and Justice for all stage set? it was a replica from Maiden stages and 2 years later they copied the Leppard stage. Where's Pink Floyd The Wall and Pulse stages btw?

SPECIAL BONUS !

Stage set for Raising Hell concert:

- the Marshall amplifiers were more or less the main stage design (like for the other tours in the early 90's).
- one backdrop for the whole show (the big Eddie from FOTD tour appears during ''Iron Maiden'').
- pharaoh Eddie mask (from Powerslave album cover) and bat Eddie mask (from Live At Donington '92 live album cover) were stage props. Btw, two pharaoh masks (or two Sphinx) were also presented as artworks (in both sides of the stage) for the concert in Sao Paulo in 1996 during TXF tour.
- another stage prop was the gallows, presented there during the whole show (Bruce sang HBTN from there).
- ramps in both sides end of the stage (as usual).
- almost all of the album covers were presented as artworks on the wall. Only the head of POM or NPFTD Eddie (I'm not sure) was under the pharaoh mask. Part of the wall were all others album covers (until 1992) + A Real Live One live album cover.

Attachments

• raising hell stage set.png
    raising hell stage set.png
    353 KB · Views: 46
Stage sets trivia:

The Book Of Souls tour is the only tour where the band members faces were part of the stage props!

- the band members faces can be seen in one of the artworks for TBOS album (you can see it in the booklet for this album).

Bonus: Also, there were some ropes above the stage during TBOS tour (picture #2 below).

Attachments

• statues.jpg
    statues.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 37
  • ropes above the stage.jpg
    ropes above the stage.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 37
DOD tour stage set model (picture is taken from Death On The Road documentary):

Attachments

• dod tour stage model.png
    dod tour stage model.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 40
The reuse of the World Piece Tour stage floor design in Ed Hunter tour is sort of a nice callback to the 80's, but... it doesn't really fit in the slightest, even if that particular stage design wasn't messy enough. :D
Yeah, the floor doesn't fit in this stage design... (for WPT was great). But for me this stage set wasn't as messy as the ones for Give Me Ed and Early Days tours (although I really like the ring used for the backdrops in Give Me Ed tour). But the stage set for TEH tour is not that bad imo (for VXI tour too).

My least favorite stage sets of all tours (if we exclude the first 2 tours) are: Early Days tour 2005, Give Me Ed tour and FOTD tour (strangely enough, I like the one for NPOTR tour). FOTD tour was a missed opportunity for a change of the shape of the stage design (thus to look massive).
But yeah, dragging few stage elements from the 80's to that tour was probably part of the concept anyway.
That's true. They asked Dave Lights to come back and re-create the shows that Maiden did in the 80's, as they were planning to take the classic set back on the road after the VXI tour (even if Bruce had not returned). I'm really curious what stage set he would have done... maybe stage set that combines at least one element from the previous tours (this would have been very hard task, but a curious one for sure).

Plus, the development of TEH game started during the VXI era, If I'm not mistaken - so TEH tour was meant to be.

That's true. They asked Dave Lights to come back and re-create the shows that Maiden did in the 80's, as they were planning to take the classic set back on the road after the VXI tour (even if Bruce had not returned). I'm really curious what stage set he would have done... maybe stage set that combines at least one element from the previous tours (this would have been very hard task, but a curious one for sure).

Plus, the development of TEH game started during the VXI era, If I'm not mistaken - so TEH tour was meant to be.

I belive it would have been sort of a more... tasteful or retro-ish version of the Ed-Huntour stage. Clearly the idea was to use the familiar stage structure, use the Ed-Hunter game as a visual refercen and incorporate some familiar 80's stage props/drapes into it. That's what The Ed-Huntour stage set ended up being, expect not working too well as it is. While I appreciate the concept around VXI and Ed-Huntour stage shows, they both fail at what the classic stage sets did so well: showcasing any coherence and/or clear visual landscape. They're sort of structur-ish and building-ish, but not quite. They're sort of trying to present a bigger, quite surreal visual landscape but not quite.

Maiden England tour actually pulled off the initial Ed-Huntour idea much better. It took the basic dressing from the Seventh Tour, where as The Ed-Huntour stage clearly tried to borrow a page from World Slavery Tour's book, though this connection is admittedly loose, since the main visual reference was the Ed-Hunter game. Anyway, they both had the idea of a backdrops selection that blends with the rest of the stage dressing. Once again, the icy landscapes and Eddies in ice worked so much better with the Maiden England stage than the CGI/Ed-Hunter game stuff with the Ed-Huntour stage. Of course, every stage show has a selection of backdrops that are tied into the stage dressing, take the Egyptian backdrops or the Mayan pyramid & jungle stuff for example, but both Maiden England & Ed Huntour sort of revised some of the older artworks to fit their visual concept. Icy 2 Minutes to Midnigh Eddie is definitely cool, a CGI Powerslave pyramid less so. Anyway, The Ed-Huntour show was a cool idea to begin with, sort of a proto version of a history tour stage shows we got later, but not quite here or there.

Give Me Ed, mish-mashy as it is, at least didn't even try to represent anything more than that it was and Eddie Rip's Up the World stage show was more or less the same, while paying little hit/miss quality nods to their older stages and whatnot. Overall, with the exception of Dance of Death tour, pretty much all of the stages between The X-Factour and A Matter of Life and Death Tour suffered from a lack of clearly definable visual landscape brought into flesh. Even Brave New World/Metal 2000 tour stage, to an extent, although that one actually managed to look rather awesome.

I'm not saying it's entirely bad thing, just pointing out that they were definitely a bit more inconsistent with those things back then. That said, I appreciate the effort to do something different with the familiar "boxed" stage structure. There hasn't been any real departures from that after Dance of Death tour, basically. Not saying there has to be, but you know...

While I appreciate the concept around VXI and Ed-Huntour stage shows, they both fail at what the classic stage sets did so well: showcasing any coherence and/or clear visual landscape. They're sort of structur-ish and building-ish, but not quite. They're sort of trying to present a bigger, quite surreal visual landscape but not quite.
I thought the stage set for VXI tour was a decent concept of the album cover... could have been better, but it's not that bad - actually, the stage set for this tour easily could have been used for TEH tour, methinks (but as you said, their main inspiration for TEH tour was the stage set from WST - maybe that's why I think it's not that bad).

TFF tour stage set (sort of) in pre-production (the picture is taken from Behind The Beast documentary):

- looks more complicated than the one we got.

pic #2 - we can see an additional tower on the left side, which is missing from the final product.

Attachments

• tff tour stage pre-production.png
    tff tour stage pre-production.png
    413.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 1.2tff tour stage set.png
    1.2tff tour stage set.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I've noticed something:

The BNW Eddies which are part of the stage design of the BNW tour are different - the left one is from the BNW album cover, while the right one is different (the eyes are outlined, the teeth & smile are different). Actually, the right one looks like the backdrop which they used for the song ''Brave New World'' during the Give Me Ed tour.

Attachments

• maiden during bnw tour.jpg
    maiden during bnw tour.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 49
I've watched the live videos of ''The Fallen Angel'' & ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' from Argentina 2001 many times, but it was only now (o_O) I noticed that the stage set was a little different - the scaffolds were removed and we can see BNW Eddie clearer, which is great because the lighting for this tour was amazing (it's like we have different colours of the album cover... cool). The stage looks better without them imo.

You can check it here - ''The Wicker Man'' from Chile 2001 with a good quality:

I thought of something - if Maiden were to tour the BNW album nowadays, the stage set probably would have been the futuristic city (with a few trees within the decor) from the cover.

The stage we got was good (early 2000's after all), but the aforementioned one would have been way better (and with a different shape, like the stage for VXI tour). Even the stage for TEH tour was a bit better imo and for the next tour (Give Me Ed) they more or less used the same design, but it was fitting and the ring was cool.

Attachments

• bnw futuristic city.png
    bnw futuristic city.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Back