Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?

The Apparition
giphy.gif

Not a one. Of course there’s many I like more than others, but I can listen to every album straight through and enjoy the whole experience. Including all 733 repeats of the Angel/Gambler chorus.

I pretty much agree with the two previous replies. I mean, there's a selection of songs I don't really mind that much if at all, but can't say I feel any real antipathy towards them either.

But it's one of those things that, in my opinion, makes Iron Maiden such a great band. Even with some weaker studio albums and a handful of more or less annoying traits when it comes to recording approach, productivity and whatnot, I I think they've kept fairly high standard thorough their extensive career.

Quality control didn't really peak during the 90's, yes, and Steve's growing dominance as that particular decade went on hit some bottoms during Virtual XI days, but as it is, I find it relatively good record nonetheless.

Even the weaker albums, say No Prayer, FOTD and Virtual (yes yes you can count The X-Factor if you want, but I love it), have more or less defined musical narrative and cohesion - well maybe FOTD not that much - and it's not like every single riff and idea someone could come up with is thrown in... at least without at least some hint or shade of something actually interesting vaguely existing in it.

While I quite like a handful of late 90's stuff by Metallica, I wouldn't exactly say that Maiden ever created anything as jarring and dragging as ReLoad, for example. There's a lot of good in it, but a fair amount of garbage too. For a band with 16 studio albums, I think even at their weakest Maiden didn't really... eh, exaggerate quite as much as one would probably expect. Yeah the chorus repeats and few other things with Virtual XI got near that, but even though quite uninspired in relation to it's total runtime and total amount of songs, it's not taken that far. And as for more bloated Maiden records, say The X-Factor, TFF and TBOS, I think they have very strong cohesion and fairly good grip on the listener. Of course, it's easy to say that as a huge fan, but you know...

The point was, I think, to merely underline that for a band with some unbelievably stubborn determination at few technical things in recording and some questionable missteps or whatnot, the overall quality-quantity relation on their discography is very, very good.

Of course, with a handful of albums, it comes down to the fine line between ok-good consistency vs nah-mediocre consistency, but yeah, can't really name many songs I really dislike. I used to have some soft spot for Weekend Warrior like... years ago, but it has become somewhat of a contender now though. And there's some annoying moments here and there on other instances, as I've never been too thrilled about Invaders for example, but it's much closer to something just being not really that interesting rather than me actually disliking it.

I guess it's just another fine and very debatable line, though.

Horrible songs, imo:

Most cringe Maiden opening song ever:
Invaders

Absolutely non Maiden, 90's american? rock bandwagon style songs:
Fear is the Key
Chains of Misery
Wasting Love
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

Whining Fest:
2A.M.
Lightning Strikes Twice
When Two Worlds Collide
Como Estais Amigos

this comes from non English speaking person's perspective. On songs like 2A.M., Lightning Strikes and When Two Worlds Collide all I hear is total whining. Virus, Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger and The Educated Fool is pretty bad too, but I like instrumental sections.

Last edited:
Huh...I’d never describe any of Maidens songs as sounding like “whining.” But that could be a language thing, I don’t know.

Bring your daughter to the slaughter, the Dickinson version was kind better
Hooks in you, really a third song about Charlotte? how creative guys
From here to eternity, they made a fourth one? really?
Wildest dreams and Different world, very bad album openers
Age of innocence, so bad they made Nicko parody it
The red and the black, this song is very long boring and repetitive plus the woah woah parts don't help either
Death or glory, the climb like a monkey part is cringe

Back