Iron Maiden songs – a rough overview of their “live history”

Does anybody have this bootleg or one of the other versions of it?
http://ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=tour07_ssoass/bootlegs07_ssoass&lang=eng&link=tours#1988-11-27
Can somebody verify whether this really is the source of every recording on Maiden England? There does not seem to be a bootleg of the second night at the NEC, but if there are any divergences between the bootleg and the live album, at least it would be safe to assume that they come from the second night.

I know I have some of the bootlegs from the Long Beach 1984 shows, but I don't currently have access to the hard drive they're on, so I can't make any comparisons. It would be great if we could at some point work out which song on LAD was recorded on which night.

AFAIR there is no soundboard records of Maiden England. The so called soundboards are rips of Japanese laserdisc release.

Thanks, mate! That's a lot of beers I owe you... I'll add this information later when I get the time.

no problem, it was a bit of fun going through stuff I haven't looked at in years, good to find out my VCR still works. The irony that when Maiden tried to be all modern with the multimedia stuff* in the nineties and I can't play that now but can still play the vinyls, tapes and vhs tapes that are in some cases nearly 20 years older

* I suspect it may be a case that I lost the necessary programme when updating to windows 10 and I can probably download the programme again.

I know I have some of the bootlegs from the Long Beach 1984 shows, but I don't currently have access to the hard drive they're on, so I can't make any comparisons. It would be great if we could at some point work out which song on LAD was recorded on which night.

My gut instinct is that the whole audio is from the last night and the whole video is from another night (I think he says Saturday night long beach during running free), rather than it being mix and match from the 4 nights.

I haven't watched the video enough (! just not really a video watcher and when I did watch videos it was Maiden England I went for) to know off hand if any of the tracks on the video are the same as are on the audio.

I do have the supposed bootleg. I've listened to it at some period a lot, and didn't notice the difference. Got it as Maiden England soundboard bootleg - and then someone on Maidenhub forum or DC++, while speaking about legality of bootlegs, said that some are straight rips, like this one. It's a soundboard alright - but the one on Japanese LD player.

Anyways going to upload it on YT since it's missing there.

Does anybody have this bootleg or one of the other versions of it?
http://ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=tour07_ssoass/bootlegs07_ssoass&lang=eng&link=tours#1988-11-27
Can somebody verify whether this really is the source of every recording on Maiden England? There does not seem to be a bootleg of the second night at the NEC, but if there are any divergences between the bootleg and the live album, at least it would be safe to assume that they come from the second night.

To make things more complicated:
I vividly remember an interview in a 1989 Aardschok (I backordered the magazine in the early nineties and have lost it now), with Steve who said that the audio and video from Killers on the Maiden England video are from two different nights! This was done because, when the show was recorded, the recorded video footage did not turn out well since something (I forgot what it was) was in between Dave and the camera zooming in on Dave's solo.

They had to have that solo captured on video as well so they used the vid from the other night! Steve showed the endresult of the solo to Dave himself who could not note a difference! Steve said Dave plays every note in that solo the same way, every time he plays it. That sure helped!

Last edited:
To make things more complicated:
I vividly remember an interview in a 1989 Aardschok (I backordered the magazine in the early nineties and have lost it now), with Steve who said that the audio and video from Killers on the Maiden England video are from two different nights! This was done because, when the show was recorded, the recorded video footage did not turn out well since something (I forgot what it was) was in between Dave and the camera zooming in on Dave's solo.

They had to have that solo captured on video as well so they used the vid from the other night! Steve showed the endresult to Dave himself who could not note the difference! Steve said Dave plays every note in that solo the same way, every time he plays it. That sure helped!

Thanks for the information. Is this the same Steve who manages to edit live videos showing Dave Murray changing guitars during the same song (e.g. Rock in Rio)? :lol:

I would take anything he says about people not being able to notice these things with a pinch of salt, as his attention to details leaves a lot to be desired. :lol:

Suit yourself. :) I take Steve Harris very serious when he says something about Dave Murray's deduction ability, when hearing and watching footage of himself doing his least changing solo from his career.

How about Killers at Rainbow, did they overdub guitars or that was multiple nights too?

I was worried that some of the songs may actually be mixed from different performances. If even Steve admitted that, we can't accurately say which night a Maiden England track was recorded, and should just stick with a generic "27./28.11." label. I wouldn't even put my money on Live After Death being any different.

I was worried that some of the songs may actually be mixed from different performances. If even Steve admitted that, we can't accurately say which night a Maiden England track was recorded, and should just stick with a generic "27./28.11." label. I wouldn't even put my money on Live After Death being any different.

I seem to remember Bruce mentioning in an interview in 2002 (promotion of Rock in Rio) that Steve did a lot of cut and pasting from different performances of the same song(s) to compile the material for A Real Live One and A Real Dead One. That might explain why those albums sound the way they do... :lol:

How about Killers at Rainbow, did they overdub guitars or that was multiple nights too?

IIRC, they had to repeat a few songs for technical reasons. I seem to remember Robert Ellis mentioning which ones on his (utterly recommended) photo book.

I seem to remember Bruce mentioning in an interview in 2002 (promotion of Rock in Rio) that Steve did a lot of cut and pasting from different performances of the same song(s) to compile the material for A Real Live One and A Real Dead One. That might explain why those albums sound the way they do... :lol:

Was protools even around in those days?

Those albums are weird, there's some great versions on them and but mostly there's absolutely diabolical versions particularly on A Real Dead One. I really like the version of Wrathchild from the Hallowed single and that didn't even make the album.

Was protools even around in those days?

No idea. I think it was released in the late 80s, but I am not sure.

Those albums are weird, there's some great versions on them and but mostly there's absolutely diabolical versions particularly on A Real Dead One. I really like the version of Wrathchild from the Hallowed single and that didn't even make the album.

The production is atrocious. I have audience bootlegs that sound better than those albums.

I became a fan in 1991 thanks to a class mate. Fear of the Dark was an album that I got on the release date and, for the most part, liked. I was really excited by the news of the release of those live albums as I had not been able to attend any gigs and remember being massively underwhelmed when I got them. :(

Of course they were, DAWs are things of late 80s that got polished in the 90s and by the beginning of 21st century you could do anything provided you have enough storage space.

I don't believe a word of it. Some of the biggest nonsense heard about any live album by any band.

These songs are not very produced, more rough sounding recordings from songs from different gigs. When you have a whole tour to pick the best recorded versions, they should be good enough to be released without using different gigs for one and the same song. Unless Bruce was so bad or singing so soft that it had to be done. But I have trouble with taking this allegation seriously.

What does Bruce know anyway. By that time he was probably doing other things.

Last edited:
The production is atrocious. I have audience bootlegs that sound better than those albums.

I became a fan in 1991 thanks to a class mate. Fear of the Dark was an album that I got on the release date and, for the most part, liked. I was really excited by the news of the release of those live albums as I had not been able to attend any gigs and remember being massively underwhelmed when I got them. :(
This is so exagerated. I loved the albums when they came out especially ARLO. Also missed ARL tour, not FOTD tour. Also became fan in 1991.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers and FOTD were so much more coming alive, so much fuller and better than the studio versions. The Evil was phenomenal as well.

Also 17 and 18 (ARDO).

I don't believe a word of it. Some of the biggest nonsense heard about any live album by any band.

These songs are not very produced, more rough sounding recordings from songs from different gigs. When you have a whole tour to pick the best recorded versions, they should be good enough to be released without using different gigs for one and the same song. Unless Bruce was so bad or singing so soft that it had to be done. But I have trouble with taking this allegation seriously.

What does Bruce know anyway. By that time he was probably doing other things.

My recollection of what I read might be hazy, but if I remember correctly, Bruce offered to Steve to overdub things if he felt there was a need, and Steve replied that he had been be cutting and pasting from other performances of the song. As I said, I have been unable to trace the original interview, so I might have dreamed it!

They certainly did a cut and paste job in The Evil that Men Do at Donington (Bruce started to sing the chorus too early on the day; no evidence of this on the album/video).

Back