IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Moonchild
Clairvoyant
CSIT
Sea Of Madness
Aces High

Tough choices.

Edit:
Only Wasted Years seems to be a sure promotion, while Sea Of Madness is going out from SIT. Every vote will count between CSIT, Stranger and Alex.

Meanwhile, it could get tasty between Aces High and 2MTM for the final Powerslave spot.

Caught Somewhere In Time
Sea Of Madness
Stranger In A Strange Land

This is the toughest round for me so far. The easy votes were for SOM and SIASL, but the third pick was almost impossible....because all other songs are classics.

Wow, every reply this round reads like a personal attack. Stranger and Madness are in my top 5...

The Evil That Men Do (out of necessity)
The Clairvoyant
Wasted Years
Alexander the Great
Aces High

The one song I really go against popular opinion on is Aces High. No real melodic hooks, not the most inspiring riffs (although the solos are great). It serves the purpose to start the live show with high energy, but not much more. I don't have much use for Aces High other than functioning as an opener to get people pumped.

o_O....this is pure blasphemy.

Stranger is a cool song, but has a disappointing chorus (not a bad chorus, just a disappointing one). There’s so much build up and... that’s where it leads to? “Trapped inside this prison, yeah!” is a line that bothers me too, the way Bruce sings it always trips me up. Also, the solo, while great, is overrated.

I think the chorus is the best part of SIASL. It's a great song but probably only my 5th favorite on SIT.

The fillerslave trope is pretty silly and seems to reinforce the idea that popular opinion is sometimes shaped by the band's live activities in positive and negative ways. Powerslave is an excellent album and probably the band's most consistent. It tends to be the one I recommend the most to new fans. It's a great starting point. You really enjoy Aces High and Two Minutes to Midnight? Great, work your way backwards and check out Piece of Mind next. The prog and instrumental intricacies of Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Flash Of the Blade blew your mind? Somewhere in Time next.

It is true that the album is bookended by some of the band's most renown tracks and other albums aren't quite structured that way, but the material in the middle has a lot to offer. Flash Of the Blade is an amazing song. Love the guitar harmonies and I would have liked to hear this song played by the current lineup. The Duellists and Back In the Village have some flaws but are overall enjoyable. Losfer Words is probably my favorite Maiden instrumental. Dare I say underrated.

That being said, it's obvious to me which songs deserve promotion. Rime, Powerslave, and Two Minutes are the 10/10 songs on the album and are all top ten worthy. 2 Minutes is probably the pinnacle of Maiden rockers. Great riffing, awesome chorus, love the halftime breakdowns, two fantastic guitar solos, excellent lyrics from Bruce. It's all there. Not much has to be said about Rime or Powerslave.

The one song I really go against popular opinion on is Aces High. I feel @mckindog 's criticisms of Moonchild better apply to Aces High. No real melodic hooks, not the most inspiring riffs (although the solos are great). It serves the purpose to start the live show with high energy, but not much more. Where Eagles Dare, Moonchild, and The Wicker Man all do these things while also being great songs on their own. I don't have much use for Aces High other than functioning as an opener to get people pumped.

Couldn’t agree less with the AcesHigh critique. The melodies aren’t exactly “melodic,” but the verses have a percussive impact and the chorus soars in a way that matches the dogfight nature of the song perfectly. And the riffing is irresistable.

No problem whatsoever endorsing rest of this take.

Never understood what's so great about it
Well, it's not Heaven Can Wait, its YouTube video has more viewers than my country's population and a choice sample of comments by Macedonians, Greeks and Bulgarians trying to find out who's who, it features some very good music and some remarkably shitty lyrics.
Not many songs can boast that.
(Apart from not being Heaven Can Wait, which a significant number can).
And yes, CSIT rocks. :shred:

Back