IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Mmmmm... IMO it's really poor. But hey! Compared to the bottom tier of Maiden's career it sounds like a masterpiece to me.
To those ears of mine, it's an unpretentious tight little rocker, certainly less offensive than Invaders: Maiden's, and Steve's, first really bad song.

To those ears of mine, it's an unpretentious tight little rocker, certainly less offensive than Invaders: Maiden's, and Steve's, first really bad song.
HOLD IT! Invaders' chorus is simply atrocious :puke:. Other than that have you haver listened with due attention to the rest of the song, especially the bass (one of - if not the - best bass line ever wrote by Steve)? :oops:

P.s. : Plus Bruce's vocal line on the verses... out of this world.

Ok, 2:10 to 2:20 is really good. Bass - apart from the above mentioned atrocious chorus - is fine indeed, but "one of - if not the - best"? I wish I could hear it the way you do. Or appreciate Bruce's strained nasal vocals the way you do.
What's surprising, and I hadn't realised it until now, is that even Clive's drumming doesn't make it less of a wreck. So no, I think it is even worse than I thought. Sorry, really.

I, too, think Invaders features one of Steve's greatest ever basslines. Weak song otherwise though, I think verses are pretty bad as well.

Only 3 votes for Run Silent Run Deep? Did people forget that it exists or something?
No, it’s just one of the better songs on the album.
Holy Smoke is a great song. Totally underrated here.
Holy Smoke is pretty good, but still has its cringey bits. Bruce’s voice sounds ridiculous, and the swearing, however mild it is, feels a little beneath the band’s image. (And I have no problem with swearing in general.)

Halfway through my relisten and hot damn if this album isn’t just the definition of “meh”. I think the highest rating I’m gonna give any song here is 8/10. Wipe the slate clean.

FOTD and DoD are far more inconsistent, but at least they have highs. I have to convince myself that the best songs on this album are even partially memorable.

IMO Dance Of Death is way above those two albums. No More Lies, Montsegur, Dance Of Death and Paschendale and Face In The Sand are better (or at least as good) as anything on No Prayer and (especially) Fear Of The Dark. and some surpass them all (namelly Montsegur, Paschendale and Face In The Sand). I'll go as far as saying I like songs like Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, Gates Of Tomorrow and Journeyman way more than 2/3 of the songs from those 2 albums combined.

Holy Smoke
Public Enema Number One
Hooks In You

Actually, now that I think about it, this is true of a lot of this album. There's a lot of songs that have something closer to the SSOASS guitar feel with a worse production and no synth.

I always thought that ''Fates Warning'' has a big SSOASS feel to it. Sounds like a leftover from that album.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 15:
From Here To Eternity - 29 votes
Childhood's End - 24 votes

Two great songs. ''Childhood's End'' is a hidden gem. And FHTE is underrated a lot.

Back