IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I don't hate it but can you explain how is it better than Death Or Glory, for example?
“Death Or Glory” is flat, by the numbers, and kind of boring by comparison. Especially the chorus. It‘s one of the songs I’m most likely to skip on that album.

WTRRD is much more interesting rhythmically and dynamically, IMO.

same applies to it's mate Dream of Mirrors.

Yeah, but at least Dream of Mirrors was recorded in Bruce's prime and still a lower melody than River. Also, half as long. Also, the vocal is integral to the power of the opening, whereas Bruce sounds like he's just smushing words on top of cool riff in River.

The biggest mystery to me right now is how songs like River and Mother of Mercy have over 15 votes instead of The Red and The Black and The Man Who Would Be King (two of the most lazily constructed pieces of music in the Maiden catalogue).
“Mother Of Mercy” is easily the worst post-reunion song, IMO. That cut & paste chorus is unforgivable.

“Death Or Glory” is flat, by the numbers, and kind of boring by comparison. Especially the chorus. It‘s one of the songs I’m most likely to skip on that album.

WTRRD is much more interesting rhythmically and dynamically, IMO.
I agree that the chorus of DoG isn't that strong. However I love the verses and the instrumental section.

WTRRD is very good instrumentally but suffers from Bruce's performance imo.

Shadows, Tears, TFF, El Dorado, Mother of Mercy and Coming Home. I am very not final in this and will probably change a lot in the next round...

Eh, I can forgive that if only for the "I'm a soldier of WAR!" dynamic choice. It's one of the most shockingly powerful compositional choices in their history.
I agree, but everything from that photoshopped last chorus to the end of the song is so terrible. I'd add this outro to the list of moments where Bruce really didn't need to sing.

Songs I only heard after the game began:
Shadows Of The Valley
Tears Of A Clown
The Man Of Sorrows
Coming Home
The Alchemist
Isle Of Avalon
Starblind
The Talisman
The Man Who Would Be King
Where The Wild Wind Blows

I don't know how I never listened to so much of The Final Frontier before! Now I see why people were voting for Satellite 15 – it's good, but the rest of the album blows it out of the water.

Votes:
When The River Runs Deep
Shadows Of The Valley
The Man Of Sorrows
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
Mother Of Mercy
The Man Who Would Be King

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 1:
Mother Of Mercy - 21 votes
When The River Runs Deep - 19
The Man Of Sorrows - 18
The Man Who Would Be King - 16

Voted for If Eternity Should Fail, The Great Unknown, The Red & The Black, Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, El Dorado and The Alchemist.

And all deserved to die.

The Great Unknown - it's fine, but nothing special.
The Red & the Black - I'm glad it made it through the first round, and while it has some great instrumentals, the actual lyrics are not very good.
Shadows of the Valley - yawn, one of the more fillery-filler pieces since Powerslave.
Satellite 15.... The Final Frontier - I would not vote for the second half if it wasn't keyed to the first.
Where The Wild Wind Blows - Possibly the worst Steve epic.

Back