IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I don't think it's terrible by any means, I just feel like it pales in comparison to Futureal for example. I agree that it's necessary to have a short rocker on an otherwise dark and heavy album though.

Man on the Edge and Futureal are both upbeat and fun, but neither are great Maiden songs. They just happen to be on overly weak albums and they stand out.

Deriding people for liking those songs because of their fast tempo is asinine. We are discussing music. Tempo is a part of music. We listen to Iron Maiden because we like (generally) upbeat tempos.

My introduction to the Blaze era of Maiden was probably typical for someone who discovered Maiden in the 00s. I heard Bruce's rendition of Sign of the Cross and The Clansman on Rock In Rio, two major highlights of an already spectacular live album. So going into the Blaze era backwards -without the feeling of loss due to Bruce no longer being in the band, I was more optimistic than I might have been if I lived through that era. I got Virtual XI first. I had a really positive first impression of that album. It felt like the long lost brother of the reunion material, which I love. It had dicey moments, but overall I was pretty happy with it.

X Factor was much more challenging. I checked it out a few weeks later and was kinda disappointed at first. It was long, the production was really thin, the songs were brooding but didn't seem to go anywhere. This album, more than any other in Maiden's discography, really takes awhile to open up. I had to listen to it many times and be in the right headspace for it. Listening to it in dark times is the perfect way to really appreciate what they were going for. It has a lot of flaws, but I think the whole delivers something truly special. It doesn't measure up to the reunion era, but I think it safely sits as a strong, middle of the pack Maiden album. It also has a unique place in the discography.

I really like how Maiden were bold with this album. Opening with an epic like Sign of the Cross was a great move. It showed that this version of Maiden wasn't going to try and recapture the 80s glory days. It's almost as if they were acknowledging and embracing that they would be playing to more of a niche audience than before. No Bruce clones, no attempts to rewrite The Trooper, Maiden was going to push forward. It's also a more respectable approach than what they were going for with the previous two albums. If nothing else, losing Bruce really opened them up creatively.

I've wrestled with the placement of Man on the Edge and Lord of the Flies. On one hand, X Factor is an exhausting listen that might've been eased by having the few rockers on the album spread out more. On the other hand, I think the exhaustion is by design and I can appreciate that when the album goes dark, it really stays there.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with these results so far. Fortunes of War has such a great buildup. Sure it plods at times, but I love the way it builds. The Aftermath is fantastic. Nice catchy riff (even if they stole it from Wishbone Ash) and a perfectly horrifying lyric. I think this is also one of the few Maiden songs where the music perfectly captures the lyric. It feels like a trudge through the mud and rain. Love it. Look For the Truth is also incredible. Dare I say, it's the hidden gem of the album. Blaze's lyric is really strong and he brings something to the table that no other lyricist in Maiden did. A really raw glimpse of depression. It's also a really solid melody and a vocal line that unsurprisingly flows better than something Steve would write. I also really dig the instrumental passage. It's a bummer that these songs aren't performing better.

The Aftermath also has the best lyric on the album (which is saying a lot, many of the lyrics here are excellent):
Once a ploughman hitched his team
Here he sowed his little dream
Now bodies arms and legs are strewn
Where mustard gas and barbwire bloom

Look For the Truth is a close runner up for best lyrics.

If I had to pick one song from the Blaze era that Bruce didn't sing to come back, it's Blood On the World's Hands. I'm routinely shocked that this never comes up in the top three from the album. It has it all. A great chorus, an intense crushing riff, a singalong section, and a bass solo. Awesome stuff.
Also, imagine this song on A Matter of Life and Death. The two albums get compared a lot, but this is the one and only song that really reminds me of that album musically and lyrically. Fits right in.

My picks to be eliminated are Judgment of Heaven, Edge of Darkness and Lord of the Flies. Judgment always stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I can get behind happy sounding music juxtaposed with dark lyrics, but it doesn't quite work here. I also find it's not that melodically captivating.

Edge of Darkness, man I know a lot of people love this song. I'm not going to try and convince anyone they're wrong but I really don't see any of the positive qualities that others do. In fact, it's probably my least favorite song on the album. It feels very aimless, lacks the cinematic depth of the rest of the album, and really fails to capture the horrors of Apocalypse Now. But, as @LooseCannon can attest, obviously not a lot of other people feel that way.

Finally, a lament for The Unbeliever, the black sheep of the album. It's a little clunky, but I find it exciting in many ways. Definitely deserves better than first round elimination. 2 AM has a lot of going for it as well. Anyone remember Thingfish's acoustic Maiden covers? I always enjoyed his rendition of 2 AM especially.

I don't listen to this album often, but every time I do I leave feeling pretty satisfied. This one hit the spot especially today.

Deriding people for liking those songs because of their fast tempo is asinine. We are discussing music. Tempo is a part of music. We listen to Iron Maiden because we like (generally) upbeat tempos.
Thanks for this. Diesel's remark was a ridiculous way of dismissing other people's tastes. I hate the whole "people only like X because Y" thing.

Listening to it in dark times is the perfect way to really appreciate what they were going for. It has a lot of flaws, but I think the whole delivers something truly special. It doesn't measure up to the reunion era, but I think it safely sits as a strong, middle of the pack Maiden album. It also has a unique place in the discography.

This is exactly how I feel about TXF.
It gets a lot of flak for the production, which has its flaws like weak-ish guitar sound, but it definitely succeeds in creating a fitting atmosphere. Something about this mix is just right for a deep dark album. For one thing, I think the reverb and room sounds fill up the space really nicely.

Man on the Edge and Futureal are both upbeat and fun, but neither are great Maiden songs. They just happen to be on overly weak albums and they stand out.

Sorry, should’ve worded it better than I did. Was not intended to deride people or anything, but that is the number one argument for Man On The Edge that I’ve come across. And I do think it gives the album some balance, but I always like the brooding pieces that TXF is composed of more.

When I first heard The X Factor, my initial response was something to the effect of "wtf is that?" I was deep into 80's Maiden at the time and had just graduated from school, so I was on top of the world and had no ear for what Maiden were doing on this album. Fast forward half a year and I moved to a new place, basically on my own, struggling to find a flat and make ends meet and also dealing with a worse kind of rejection than ever before.
At this time, I found myself revisiting this album one night and simply clicking with me. Everything on it spoke to me on some level. The gloomy atmosphere matched how I was feeling that cold winter, the desperation in songs like Man on the Edge, Fortunes of War, The Aftermath and 2 AM seemed to come out of own mind. But I found then as I feel now, that the music had another side to it. It wasn't all just dark and hopeless. It was also uplifting. First, because it told me that there were other people feeling the way I did, and second, because the message of the album wasn't just how shitty everything was, but also that you can actually do something about it - Look for the Truth, Judgement of Heaven, The Unbeliever all had this message to me. Not just lyrically, but also musically.
To this day, The X Factor is full of musical "moments" for me: The tension at the beginning of Sign of the Cross, the amazing riff from Lord of the Flies, the sheer heaviness of Fortunes of War, the sudden shift in tone on Judgement of Heaven, the bridge and solo of The Aftermath, the soothing instrumental section of The Unbeliever and so on and so forth. Every song on this album is simply amazing (except, maybe, for Man on the Edge, which is only "great").
Yeah, once again I get what people dislike about this album. It is very different from the rest of their discography, the songwriting is not terribly varied, I guess the production isn't everyone's cup of tea... but I don't see these as flaws. The album has a consistent tone to it, not letting you escape its world or wander off if you actually invest the time and attention to listen to it. It feels like Ariadne's string guiding you through a dark, cavernous labyrinth. The sound of the album has a depth to it that matches this image perfectly. It's not in your face, it forces you to listen closely to discover its details. Is that really a bad thing?

When I first heard The X Factor, my initial response was something to the effect of "wtf is that?" I was deep into 80's Maiden at the time and had just graduated from school, so I was on top of the world and had no ear for what Maiden were doing on this album. Fast forward half a year and I moved to a new place, basically on my own, struggling to find a flat and make ends meet and also dealing with a worse kind of rejection than ever before.
At this time, I found myself revisiting this album one night and simply clicking with me. Everything on it spoke to me on some level. The gloomy atmosphere matched how I was feeling that cold winter, the desperation in songs like Man on the Edge, Fortunes of War, The Aftermath and 2 AM seemed to come out of own mind. But I found then as I feel now, that the music had another side to it. It wasn't all just dark and hopeless. It was also uplifting. First, because it told me that there were other people feeling the way I did, and second, because the message of the album wasn't just how shitty everything was, but also that you can actually do something about it - Look for the Truth, Judgement of Heaven, The Unbeliever all had this message to me. Not just lyrically, but also musically.
To this day, The X Factor is full of musical "moments" for me: The tension at the beginning of Sign of the Cross, the amazing riff from Lord of the Flies, the sheer heaviness of Fortunes of War, the sudden shift in tone on Judgement of Heaven, the bridge and solo of The Aftermath, the soothing instrumental section of The Unbeliever and so on and so forth. Every song on this album is simply amazing (except, maybe, for Man on the Edge, which is only "great").
Yeah, once again I get what people dislike about this album. It is very different from the rest of their discography, the songwriting is not terribly varied, I guess the production isn't everyone's cup of tea... but I don't see these as flaws. The album has a consistent tone to it, not letting you escape its world or wander off if you actually invest the time and attention to listen to it. It feels like Ariadne's string guiding you through a dark, cavernous labyrinth. The sound of the album has a depth to it that matches this image perfectly. It's not in your face, it forces you to listen closely to discover its details. Is that really a bad thing?
Well I can only give my experience and why I think The X Factor is one hell of an album from day 1. For that I will also describe the circumstances. In 1995 I was no longer the fanatic maiden fan I've been till the age of 15 more or less but still loved these dudes (as I've always did and always will). I've witnessed every single Maiden release since 1988's Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. I was 12 and was obviously marveled with everything. TBH still am to this very day... Seventh Son is that good. But IMO, the quality level began decaying with every following release.

When I first listened to Holy Smoke in 1990 I was everything but impressed. Comes No Prayer For The Dying and yeah... Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, Tailgunner... a couple more exciting tunes but it was the first meh album by the band. I came to enjoy a bit more with the passing of the years, but had the immense disadvantage of being released after one of Maiden's best albums. Then in 1992 Be Quick Or Be Dead was released and OH MY GOD! What was that? Maiden going borderline speed metal? Now this is something exciting! And man... was I anxious to listen to the rest of the album! Well many of you know what I think about Fear Of The Dark and man... I tried. Of course I've always loved songs like Be Quick Or Be Dead, Afraid To Shoot Strangers and the title track and, due to the novelty factor, I liked them even more back in the day. But apart from that there was a void in that album that I never felt in any other release by the band. A worrying lack of essence and direction that even a 16 year version of me sensed from day one. Some of those songs were quite ok (Childhood's End, Judas Be My Guide) but the others simply didn't click: not only by being too much Hard Rock (a genre that never interested me the slightest) but also because they seemed to pale even when compared with Maiden's worst songs from previous albums. And with the passing of ages my opinion regarding those tunes has been deteriorating even more. One year past this letdown the bomb exploded: Bruce was leaving the band (a decision ironically communicated while the band was in my country).

So, as most of you know back in 1993 there was no internet and rumors started building and I feared it was it for the band. Some weeks passed and I red in a music newspaper that Wolfsbane's frontman was to be Maiden's new singer: this dude named Blaze Bailey. Never heard Wolfsbane's sound and went to the local record shop guru to listen to it. It got me a bit scared, not only regarding his vocal range but primarily regarding the more Hard Rock like approach of the band in general and his voice in particular. Was Maiden going to abandon its epic blueprint and definitely take that same Hard Rock FM route present in many FOTD songs that really meant nothing to me?

So, came the day when I first heard Man On The Edge on the radio. I can recall that my reaction was quite positive: a Maiden like short epic intro and then off to the races in true metal fashion. Enters the voice and yeah... a bit of an inevitable letdown I was kinda expecting. But it suited the song nicely... it gave a Running Wild (the band) feel to it. So I bought the single and HELL! The other two songs were also really good! Edge Of Darkness is typical epic Maiden dual guitar stuff and Judgement Day had a lot in common with Be Quick Or Be Dead (It is a pity the song didn't make to the album especially in a record that needed another fast song to give a bit more heterogeneity regarding the number of slow, long themes). So I was excited but one thing Fear Of The Dark taught was not to anticipate the album regarding the advance single.

So The day finally came.. I just entered college and got to the record store, bought it, went back home to my room pressed play and sat down. After a long intro comes what we today know as Sign Of The Cross and my reaction as the song progressed was an increasing smile on my face and some minutes after I was on my feet with my fist in the air going "YEEEEEEEEES!"... Lord Of The Flies' intro begins and I go "Hey wait a minute,,, this is weird" but my apprehension quickly fades as this mid tempo monster develops. Skipped Man On The Edge (by now it was already more than known) and got to know the brooding darkness of Fortunes Of War and man... It was by track 4 I was totally sold on this album. Other than that I remember also loving the celtic melodies of Look For The Truth, being quite disappointed that Judgement day was left out and tha The Unbeliever had a quite awful beginning. And yes ... I loved every single remaining song.But overall I remember vividly the joy I was feeling. Yes, Blaze's voice was subpar compared with Bruce's but Maiden was back! The epic, long heavy metal compositions that I missed so much since Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time that, for 2 records were almost absent were now the main thing in The X Factor.

Of course many of my friends disagreed, being Blaze's voice the main factor while others had a similar approach to mine. But I still believe to this very day that, either you like it or hate it, The X Factor was the album that saved Maiden's legacy regarding its blueprint in a decade when they started to abandon what made them stand out among their peers. And it made so without one of its primary weapons: Bruce's unbelievable voice.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts, karljant. What about Justice of the Peace? I feel like that one deserves a place on the album. It’s unfinished, maybe, but a very catchy song.

Interesting thoughts, karljant. What about Justice of the Peace? I feel like that one deserves a place on the album. It’s unfinished, maybe, but a very catchy song.
Only heard it after the album. Really cool song... not as good as the others IMO but still very catchy. I Live My way is the only meh moment out of the lot as far as I'm concerned.

Voted for For The Greater Good Of God, The Legacy, The Wicker Man, Lord Of The Flies, Judgement Of Heaven, Blood On The World's Hands and The Edge Of Darkness.

Underrated, at least on this form, where it traditionally is a middling song on a lower ranked album.
I'll go even further... if I had to rank my favorite 10 tracks from the 1990-2000 era it would be something similar to this:
  1. Sign Of The Cross (BY FAR)
  2. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate (2nd tier)
  3. Man On The Edge (2nd tier)
  4. The Wicker Man (2nd tier)
  5. Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (2nd tier)
  6. Fortunes Of War (3rd tier)
  7. Be Quick Or Be Dead (3rd tier)
  8. Judgement Day (3rd tier)
  9. Tailgunner (4rth tier)
  10. Futureal (4th tier)

• Honorable mentions: Fates warning, Run Silent Run Free, Fear Of The Dark, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, The Edge Of Darkness, Lord Of The Flies, Look For The Truth, The Clansman, Blood Brothers, Out Of The Silent Planet

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 13:
The Aftermath - 18 votes
Judgement Of Heaven - 18 votes
Blood On The World's Hands - 18 votes
Blood Brothers - 14 votes
The Edge Of Darkness - 13 votes

Promoted after Round 13:
The Wicker Man
Ghost Of The Navigator
Brave New World
Sign Of The Cross
Lord Of The Flies
Man On The Edge

Fear Of The Dark joins the game!

Thousand Suns and Ben Breeg (trying to get the other three promoted)
Fear is the Key
Chains of Misery
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

Back