Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

New artwork for TNOTB (similar to some of the tour shirts artworks for the last 2 tours):

Attachments

• tnotb 2022.jpg
    tnotb 2022.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 24
:scared:
I know it's not a serious possibility, but maybe, just to be on the safe side, I should practice entering that coma-like state I was able to achieve during Airborne. :D
I'm happy to read that comment. Most of the fans seemed to enjoy Airbourne, but I found them ridiculous at first, and then painful. Motley could be wprst, but we won't have to bear tjem: they are a headlining band.

I know, I was just joking. ;) MC is like GNR, so Bruce won't accept that... :p

And yeah, MC totally lost its soul since the 90's... The band's best period was in the 80's... Now, the guys are just shadows of themselves... :facepalm:
Maiden has not released any song that stands up to the level of their 80s input since... never, whereas MC has made "Saints of Los Angeles" and "Motherfucker of the Year" rather recently (2008). ;)

Last edited:
Maiden has not released any song that stands up to the level of their 80s input since... never,
Wow! There are a lot of songs imo, especially in the Reunion era albums (some are even better). In the 90's albums too. To give just one example, ''Hell On Earth'' is strong enough to close a Maiden show alongside the big 80's classics, and it's yet to be played live!

Wow! There are a lot of songs imo, especially in the Reunion era albums (some are even better). In the 90's albums too. To give just one example, ''Hell On Earth'' is strong enough to close a Maiden show alongside the big 80's classics, and it's yet to be played live!
I agree that it is a very good song by the post-1995 standards, but Maiden -in my opinion- is not as convincing as a "prog" band as it was as a "heavy metal" band, with catchy songs (some of which had a longer format).

Not only are a good number of post-2000's Maiden songs better than anything in the 80s, but quite a few of them are also out-of-reach of 80s Maiden. I don't see 80s Maiden ever being able to write a song like Starblind, for example, without the years of playing and experience under their belt, let alone having three guitarists. Maiden are not as good as they used to be in the 1980s, they're better than that.

I agree that it is a very good song by the post-1995 standards, but Maiden -in my opinion- is not as convincing as a "prog" band as it was as a "heavy metal" band, with catchy songs (some of which had a longer format).
I think it's a great song by the 80's standards of Maiden (''Dance Of Death'', ''Paschendale'', ''Rainmaker'', The Wicker Man'', ''Blood Brothers'', ''The Thin Line Between Love And Hate'', ''For The Greater Good Of God'', ''The Talisman'', ''The Book Of Souls'', ''Empire Of The Clouds'' too, to name a few).

Maiden as a ''prog'' band is probably a bit better than Maiden as a ''heavy metal'' band because imo the Reunion era albums have almost no weak (or filler) songs (maybe only in DOD and TFF albums), while some of the 80's albums have for sure. Some of the albums are better/stronger as a whole piece.

There are quite a few catchy songs in the Reunion era albums, but maybe because the long songs are dominant, one can't sift them out. For me the epics are even more catchy too. It seems Maiden are better with the ''long songs''.

Edit: speaking of catchy longer songs, I really wish ''City Of Golden Gates'' was a Maiden song. It would have been one of my favorite songs (it actually is). A potential hit/live favorite.

Last edited:
I don't see 80s Maiden ever being able to write a song like Starblind, for example, without the years of playing and experience under their belt,
^ This.

Btw, ''Starblind'' has a SIT vibe.
Maiden are not as good as they used to be in the 1980s, they're better than that.
The only ones who could surpass 80's Maiden were themselves.

I think it's a great song by the 80's standards of Maiden (''Dance Of Death'', ''Paschendale'', ''Rainmaker'', The Wicker Man'', ''The Thin Line Between Love And Hate'', ''For The Greater Good Of God'', ''The Book Of Souls'', ''Empire Of The Clouds'' too, to name a few).

Maiden as a ''prog'' band is probably a bit better than Maiden as a ''heavy metal'' band because imo the Reunion era albums have almost no weak (or filler) songs (maybe only in DOD and TFF albums), while some of the 80's albums have for sure. Some of the albums are better/stronger as a whole piece.

There are quite a few catchy songs in the Reunion era albums, but maybe because the long songs are dominant, one can't sift them out. For me the epics are even more catchy too. It seems Maiden are better with the ''long songs''.

Edit: speaking of catchy longer songs, I really wish ''City Of Golden Gates'' was a Maiden song. It would have been one of my favorite songs (it actually is). A potential hit/live favorite.
If we have a look at their entire discography we can see that quite early in their career they started writing long songs and that the 3-4 minute standard song was quickly abandoned. Well at least until NPFTD and FOTD to some extent where they tried to go back to 4 minute songs and well we all know the resultst weren't among their best. What probably has been more emphasised, more or less around the X Factor album was that most of their epic songs that have a calm/acoustic start. But already on NOTB, we had 3 songs that were above 6 minutes, same on POM, 4 on Powerslave, 4 on SIT. So we may say that quite from the beginning Maiden has never been the "standard 3-4 minute song" metal band which is quite normal since Steve Harris favorite bands are not Black Sabbath or Judas Priest but Genesis and Jethro Tull (or Golden Earring)...I'll never go and say that Maiden is progressive metal band but for sure they (Steve?) were always more interested in writing songs with more than just two riffs and one drum pattern (the basic heavy metal cliché)

Last edited:
Well, I agree that "The Wicker Man", "Blood Brothers", "Dance of Death", "The Talisman" and "Eldorado" can stand up to the older output. But overall, I find the older albums more interesting in the long run. That is subjective of course, but definitely nostalgia plays a part in my case, and the fact the Internet has impaired my ability to concentrate on a full album. ;)

Back