Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Adrian Smith interview with “Planet Rock”:

“Iron Maiden axeman Adrian Smith says that incorporating new songs into live shows is the ‘lifeblood of any band’ and it gets ‘your blood flowing’ as a musician.

Ahead of Iron Maiden’s triumphant headline set at Download Festival, Planet Rock’s Paul Anthony caught up with Adrian Smith for an exclusive chat backstage.

Iron Maiden’s setlist on the recently reconvened Legacy of the Beast World Tour has been shaken up and kicks off with a trio of tracks from their critically lauded 2021 album ‘Senjutsu’ – epic title track ‘Senjutsu’, the galloping anthem ‘Stratego’ and lead single ‘The Writing on the Wall.’

During the interview, Adrian Smith told Paul Anthony it was important that Iron Maiden played new material on the tour.

“To come on and play three new songs – we’ve always said it playing new stuff, people want to hear the old stuff, but playing new stuff is the lifeblood of any band,” Smith said.

“You need it to get your blood flowing as a musician. Not that we don’t love playing the old stuff as well in front of people. But the whole production and everything, it was great to get back out and get back in the saddle again. Everyone is firing on all cylinders.”
Commenting on the first time he saw the new production, including the giant Samurai Eddie during the ‘Senjutsu’ segment of the set, Smith said: “I walked in the production rehearsals for the first run-through (of the new show) and I was just amazed by the ‘Senjutsu’ stage production.

“We were just standing there looking at it for ages not saying anything, like awestruck y’know. It’s fantastic.”

Reflecting Iron the album, he continued: “We’re all very proud of ‘Senjustu’. I think it’s probably the best album we’ve done for a while. The production I think was right this time. It just captured the songs perfectly. It’s great to play the songs live.

“‘The Writing on the Wall’ was a little bit different for us, it’s almost got like a bluesy feel to it, but we’ve managed to blend that into the classic Maiden sound, and it’s been well received and I’m grateful for that.””

Author: Scott Colothan

Last edited:
I've seen it in blabbermouth…and I think the interview is from the last year
the comment about ABBA :
Bruce also dismissed the idea of one day performing as ABBA-style hologram replicas.
"That's hell on earth," he said. "I really don't understand the point of it."

Anyway he says: In any case, everything I've said isn't going to happen.
All these news blogs sucks

I've seen it in blabbermouth…and I think the interview is from the last year
the comment about ABBA :
Bruce also dismissed the idea of one day performing as ABBA-style hologram replicas.
"That's hell on earth," he said. "I really don't understand the point of it."

Anyway he says: In any case, everything I've said isn't going to happen.
Allready one song confirmed for Legacy Of The Hologram!

It's a real thing as Louder UK has just posted an article 3 hours ago about what Dickinson has said during an interview at the Download Festival.

I dunno, as much as I like Nicko and Dave I feel like the only really irreplaceable members of the band are Steve, Bruce, and Adrian.
Maybe creatively speaking, but to me Dave's guitar tone and use of legato is a huge part of what Iron Maiden is and, along with Steve's bass, is one of the only things that's been there all along.

Let's not talk too much about this matter. Im 100% confident that there won't be any changes in the band and they will go on until the very end with same.
I think this current lineup is the ultimate incarnation of Iron Maiden. Nobody will replaced or retired.
So it shall be written and so it shall be done..

Last edited:
I think the 1990s already proved beyond any doubt that this wasn’t actually the case, though others would obviously disagree.
As a creative force he can't be replaced, but live they could go on without him. Wouldn't be the same though.

Not sure about Adrian. If any of the guitarists couldn't perform they could be replaced. Bruce however is impossible to replace, obviously Steve as well.
There are two guitarists that could easily replace the aging guitarists in Maiden : Roy Z and Richie Faulkner. Maybe Andy Sneap, as well. They've done a great job in the past and their styles of playing are pretty similar to those ones of Adrian Smith and Janick Gers. Nicko's playing is unique. So it's impossible for him to be replaced. There is this young man who played all the Maiden's songs in 30 minutes behind his drumkit and whose video has been posted on YT and shared on many web magazines. But, Nicko is Nicko... Bruce can't be replaced, for sure. He is THE voice of Iron Maiden. And Raphael Mendes can't compete with Bruce, even if their voices are almost the same. As Nicko, Bruce is Bruce... And Steve, he is the god himself... So, the thing that Maiden should do in the future is stop touring and only recording studio albums.

Last edited:
Back