Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

It's sad how out of shape Dave has let himself become, aging and touring can't be easy on the body but when you let your health deteriorate like that I can't imagine it makes things any easier. I used to think that Nicko would be the one whose health would be the thing that stops the band but it seems like it might be him now.

It's a respectable choice absolutely. Family Business.
I guess he noticed these 2 years that life and time with his family is the first and it is what he wants.

Anyway it's a feeling or rumor of this journalist. If Dave would decide to stop it would be said inside the members of the band circle including Rod obviously. And nobody wants to spread that.
He's not bored nor tired. In some past interviews he told us that he's happy with his life out of the band work but when the Mother Maiden calls he goes quickly

The stated reason is completely understandable, I'm sure they all feel that way, but I thought Dave enjoys touring a lot.

We are talking about a guitar player who barely plays if at all between tours /studios. Least songwriting contribution save Nicko, least projects outside Maiden. He has an iconic tone, alright but as of now he seem to just following other people's leads.

We are talking about a guitar player who barely plays if at all between tours /studios. Least songwriting contribution save Nicko, least projects outside Maiden. He has an iconic tone, alright but as of now he seem to just following other people's leads.
If I were in his position, I wouldn’t play much outside of Maiden! He obviously gets his creative fix from the band and chooses peruse other hobbies. Not everyone can be as into writing/projects as Bruce, Steve and Adrian.

If I were in his position, I wouldn’t play much outside of Maiden! He obviously gets his creative fix from the band and chooses peruse other hobbies. Not everyone can be as into writing/projects as Bruce, Steve and Adrian.

And Janick!
Dance of Death, The Legacy, Ghost of the Navigator, Stratego, Man on the Edge, The Book of Souls.. Serious songwriter.

*Two albums were named after his songs man! And it were not for Helloween (Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy) there would be three!

We are talking about a guitar player who barely plays if at all between tours /studios. Least songwriting contribution save Nicko, least projects outside Maiden.
What does all this have to do with touring? Playing live is a totally different ''beast''. Furthermore, Nicko is not a songwriter and only from recent years he has a serious outside project, Janick doesn't do much outside of Maiden either, but they've mentioned several times that they feel best live.

Last edited:
It means that it's a job for him not passion. And since it's a job he dreams of retirement as any worker does.
Now compare it with Steve who does gig with British Lion during Maiden gaps or Adrian putting new records out.

Very sad news about Dave if his will of retirement is true... I can easily understand that he wants to be with his family at home, but why Maiden just couldn't continue only with Adrian and Janick ? With only two guitarists, as the band has done in the eighties and the nineties ? That could be nice to have only Janick and Adrian playing together ? That could be the right solution for the band to carry on the shows without being forced to stop and retire ? Or, why Dave wouldn't continue with Maiden just by recording some other albums and let the other guys touring without him ? That could be another solution to his problem ? A lot of bands do that with live-session guitarists when the members can't tour because of so many reasons...

Very sad news about Dave if his will of retirement is true... I can easily understand that he wants to be with his family at home, but why Maiden just couldn't continue only with Adrian and Janick ? With only two guitarists, as the band has done in the eighties and the nineties ? That could be nice to have only Janick and Adrian playing together ? That could be the right solution for the band to carry on the shows without being forced to stop and retire ? Or, why Dave wouldn't continue with Maiden just by recording some other albums and let the other guys touring without him ? That could be another solution to his problem ? A lot of bands do that with live-session guitarists when the members can't tour because of so many reasons...
Maiden are like a family and they said it a long time ago: if one of the members retires, the whole band will follow the same fate. And honestly, the band can't go on without Dave, because his sound is essential for it.

Maiden are like a family and they said it a long time ago: if one of the members retires, the whole band will follow the same fate. And honestly, the band can't go on without Dave, because his sound is essential for it.

1. When did they say that?
2. I remember Harris saying a long time ago that they will do 15 albums and they'll call it quits.
3. Check again No. 1 now.
4. Also ..any link available for No. 1?

1. When did they say that?
2. I remember Harris saying a long time ago that they will do 15 albums and they'll call it quits.
3. Check again No. 1 now.
4. Also ..any link available for No. 1?
To answer to your question ____no5, I think Steve has said that in some interviews when promoting 'The Final Frontier'. He also did say so when promoting 'The Book Of Souls'. But, Bruce always say the contrary, affirming that the band is not thinking about retirement. Though, I wonder if Bruce is saying that in order to preparer ourselves, the fan, to a possible end coming soon... That's also why Steve has his project with British Lion, Bruce his solo career and Adrian his collaboration with Ritchie Kotzen... That's could also explain the huge amount of merchandising, the cooperations between Maiden and Marvel, etc...

Dave sounds great right now, can‘t really see him stopping...? Maiden without him would be weird. Not so many tracks by him on recent albums is probably also due to the fact that he doesn‘t seem to have the same ego as the others. Benjamin Breeg is one of my favorite Maiden songs.

I like Dave and I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but he's the only member without whom I could imagine the band still going on. Don't think they would do that, though. 10-15 years ago maybe, but not when they clearly don't have that much time left as a band anyway. That said, I'm not convinced this rumour is legit. And even the report suggests it's not up to Dave exclusively, so it doesn't sound like he's actively lobbying for it.

Back