Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

WTF? Why??? Is this necessary ? :facepalm: I'm afraid it's going to be another failed collaboration like west ham merch
…and why the official website is not updated with this news? It sucks really

Maiden and Marvel team up. Eddie comic perhaps?

Super expensive T-shirts for sure. £30 for some very plain designs. What a rip-off!

Last edited:
seems like a pointless collaboration other than some money...

maybe marvel fans would get this more than the maiden fans.

some marvel characters in derek rigss' backgrounds, so what? many fans did such photoshops (and even with better mashup ideas)
make an Eddie comic in Marvel universe, make spiderman fight with Eddie or sth, than it can be worth attention.

Attachments

• Ekran Resmi 2021-12-01 11.10.57.png
    Ekran Resmi 2021-12-01 11.10.57.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Ekran Resmi 2021-12-01 11.08.54.png
    Ekran Resmi 2021-12-01 11.08.54.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
I for one do not like Marvel or DC, never liked them, never liked superheroes concept, and all the rest of it, don't like Hollywood and subcultures that come out of it. Not an user of classic American comics therefore I see this through prism of shitty movies.

There's nothing about above pictures that makes me go, this is a good Maiden - superhero concept. I see Marvel done Derek Riggs style.

Also, Eddie is an embodiment of the band and visual livery for the themes of the album, which are always in the middle when it comes to good and bad. Like Harris said, angel on one side, devil on the other. Iron Maiden lyrics in the middle. E.g gray.

Is Eddie a baddie? Ofc he isn't. Why is he then metamorphing from the trees looking down about to clamp someone, being an icy ghoul that pulls his heart out, or just going around London killing people.

For all I'm concerned Maiden/Riggs created a basic comic lore of their own around a highly-meta but defined and recognizable character. Why the hell dilute this with another 'universe'.

I for one do not like Marvel or DC, never liked them, never liked superheroes concept, and all the rest of it, don't like Hollywood and subcultures that come out of it. Not an user of classic American comics therefore I see this through prism of shitty movies.

There's nothing about above pictures that makes me go, this is a good Maiden - superhero concept. I see Marvel done Derek Riggs style.

Also, Eddie is an embodiment of the band and visual livery for the themes of the album, which are always in the middle when it comes to good and bad. Like Harris said, angel on one side, devil on the other. Iron Maiden lyrics in the middle. E.g gray.

Is Eddie a baddie? Ofc he isn't. Why is he then metamorphing from the trees looking down about to clamp someone, being an icy ghoul that pulls his heart out, or just going around London killing people.

For all I'm concerned Maiden/Riggs created a basic comic lore of their own around a highly-meta but defined and recognizable character. Why the hell dilute this with another 'universe'.
I absolutely agree with you. I hate this movement. I can't believe it really.

Couldn't disagree more. I love comic books and superhero stories. They're the modern mythology. Eddie would fit in perfectly in a comic book universe as some sort of time travelling Demon God or something.

Anyway here's Steve speaking in front of some Avengers comics.

Screenshot_20211201-155525_YouTube.jpg

Couldn't disagree more. I love comic books and superhero stories. They're the modern mythology. Eddie would fit in perfectly in a comic book universe as some sort of time travelling Demon God or something.

Anyway here's Steve speaking in front of some Avengers comics.

View attachment 18156

That's from 20 century box, the scene where Steve says they didn't want to cut their hair.

About opinions, good for you, and I mean that sincerely. I hope that this collaboration works out for you and alikes.

And btw, I do love comics. Just not Marvel/DC/or superheroes otherwise. It's not about art - I loved TFF single covers, they're probably one of the best covers Maiden did. It's about lore and crossovers.

I absolutely agree with you. I hate this movement. I can't believe it really.

Yeah, I would let it pass without a thought but the news and developments about Maiden are so slow, any kind of effort I'm not going to positively look at I don't welcome right now...give me something usable :)

^ written before I saw LOTB/Senjutsu announcement for Zagreb :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care about the Marvel/Maiden collab and unless it's something you're into, I can't figure out what there is it to be upset about. It's perfectly fine to ignore it.
Yeah, the only thing I can think of that might be kind of cool is if they did an “Irons Assemble” drawing depicting every current and former member of the band together in some Avengers-style pose.

I don't really care about the Marvel/Maiden collab and unless it's something you're into, I can't figure out what there is it to be upset about. It's perfectly fine to ignore it.
Yes, I ignore most maiden merch deals now. I used to leap first and get everything, like the NECA / Mcfarlane figures 20 years ago.

Now, I buy a select few I like. For instance the West Ham / Maiden shirt (I was born paces away from the old upton park stadium! So I like the shirt). 95% of new stuff I now ignore. Especially after the fiasco of the terrible quality edphones (good sound, terrible combustible padding). Taught me a lesson about 'diversified revenue streams'/

Meh. As someone who has never watched a single Marvel film, I really can't say this touches me in any way good or bad.

Facts of life, if bands want to make money these days they have to release all this shit as people won't pay for albums, singles, dvds etc.

I'll take it on the chin, if they release something I like I'll probably buy it and if not then I won't. The Trooper as a comic book looks kinda cool, but the retro Killers one they have out now is far more up my alley, love that 80's style where the image is in a circle.

Exactly. Some folk here seem to be taking it very personally whereas all I see is a positive collaboration between a great band and a pop culture phenomenon both well known for cool artwork and merchandise.

Honestly, what's the problem?

It's half-assed.
Big brand like Iron Maiden is collaborating with huge brand like Marvel and the result is 4 shirts which probably took an hour or so to make.
They're not shoving it in anybody's throat, it's not like the encounter was on expanse of some other possible Maiden deals, but come on... From the same management who orchestrated that whole Belshazzar's Feast you get this?
Deadpool is kind of cool, he's known for cross-referencing to other pop cultures, so it kind of makes sense.
Wolverine and Senjutsu Eddie? Are they enemies, are they collaborating, what's the story there? One guy has katana, other one has claws, that's a connection maybe? Wolverine origins was set in Japan, is that it?
Oh, another Trooper shirt. But wait! This one has a Marvel price tag in the upper right corner! And a crosshair which doesn't have anything to do with the picture. And militaristic logo, which again, doesn't have anything to do with the picture.
And then the final one. Venom. Fear of the Dark. What the... I honestly believe this was done by AI. Somebody combined Maiden lyrics with Marvel and this is what came out. I don't see any effort or sense behind this one.

It doesn't make sense to get mad by this, but it doesn't also make sense to make a collaboration which doesn't have a single coherent idea behind it (although, if this ends as an announcement for some comics and/or cartoons, I'll give it a pass.)

And just look at the rest of the shop for details. For example, that Slavery tour tank top that just oozes with 80s vibe. I even thought of buying it, even if I can't remember when was the last time I wore something like that. It is levels above those bootleg t-shirts that somehow came out hilarious (that same Slavery tour shirt, for example, where it has Tibet listed on the back print.)

pop culture phenomenon both well known for cool artwork and merchandise.

The "problem" for me is iconic heavy metal band mingling with pop culture.

Problem is quoted because it's not a problem.
It would be a problem 20 years ago, tho.

The "fuck everyone we're Maiden" era, you know, the one current popularity owes everything.
Now is now, and as srfc said they need to generate resources somehow. That's why the problem is quoted. It's not a problem only due to context.

For comparison I think stuff such as Ed Phones is also lame. Anything that isn't very narrowly tied to the core of the band isn't for merch. That's why 99% of the bands can't sell any merch because their visual image is generic and they can't base anything off it. That's why Eddie figures work, both relics such as the CD head or action figurines - both came after Maiden utilized the concept in real life size on stage.

Deadpool is kind of cool, he's known for cross-referencing to other pop cultures, so it kind of makes sense.

To reference someone naturally, because story writer likes the band and wants to put a nod, is always great.
Having a contract that says we'll reference this shit in this comic is pretty lame, and very boring modern-capitalist-brands sort of a thing.

There have been tons of unsolicited references to Maiden throughout pop culture and decades, via a personal effort of Maiden fans working at that pop culture. Very simple and honest.

I don't see anything wrong with the move; the t-shirts are nice, though as Spambot said, a half assed move if it's going to be just 4 t-shirts.

Having a contract that says we'll reference this shit in this comic is pretty lame, and very boring modern-capitalist-brands sort of a thing.

Modern? This is classic old fashioned boring capitalism. Again, nothing wrong with that.
To conclude, I think the idea was good, the execution was business as usual, the end product 4 nice t-shirts. Why not.

Back