Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Hmm, reading his view on TXF (how he experienced and described the first listening session), I'm starting to feel a little bit less sad.

Still, he was important in Maiden's earlier era. And he made up the term thrash (metal)?
I had never read this before, and I must admit this is serious bullshit. For a guy who once claimed to be a Maiden fan, writing such idiotic lines, naming only one song, trashing the singer... I don't care that much about what Metal journalists write (I mean, they are not Pulitzer price holders writing on geopolitical matters, and some can barely write, let alone articulate a real thought), but they should at least take their duty seriously. I fully understand how Harris, who had worked for more than a year on the album, could have wanted to punch one of those mindless snobs.

That's not entirely true. He was practically name checked as being one of the journos who quaffed loads of free drink etc. at the X Factor launch party and then slated it.

Saying that, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.
Sanctuary hired him just a few years later to write for Metal Is and Maiden also hired him to appear on the first two History Of documentaries so clearly they weren't holding a grudge.

And so what if he slated TXF? As a critic he has to give his opinion. Also, he was right.

Sanctuary hired him just a few years later to write for Metal Is and Maiden also hired him to appear on the first two History Of documentaries so clearly they weren't holding a grudge.

And so what if he slated TXF? As a critic he has to give his opinion. Also, he was right.
Just read again his "paper": he didn't give a proper opinion, he just made fun out of the band in a very difficult period for them. And in my opinion, he was completely wrong.

I don't disagree with you, merely pointing out that at the time it didn't go down well with Maiden.

So someone’s death becomes less of a sad thing because that person didn’t like The X Factor???
Of course it does. There is one important exception, though: if the said person never heard of that fantastic album, she can not be held responsible, and therefore her death can be mourned.

That's not entirely true. He was practically name checked as being one of the journos who quaffed loads of free drink etc. at the X Factor launch party and then slated it.

Saying that, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

I once read one (famous) journalist say that Rod Smallwood put the word “hospital” into hospitality, as he (with EMI’s money) would throw lavish launch parties for journalists whenever Maiden were to launch a new album. As another (famous) journalist who used to be on Maiden’s payroll once said about the band when reflecting on how they were treated by the metal press: “Too many albums, not enough bad reviews”..

Last edited:
Of course it does. There is one important exception, though: if the said person never heard of that fantastic album, she can not be held responsible, and therefore her death can be mourned.

Grow up. A very good journalist who thought The X Factor is a turd has died. He also thought Killers is Maiden’s best album - I affectionately call that one Fillers - but that it not going to cloud my feelings.

The real question is : Iron Maiden, ho many bad albums? Not many I assume.
Sure, half naked young women could help (what a shame it was to do that) but 7th Son was nonetheless a fantastic record.

Guys, aren't you all blowing Foro's statement a bit out of proportion? What did he really say?

Back