Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Malcolm Dome made an interview with Blaze in 2018 for the magazine "Rock Candy" apparently:

That can explain Blaze's post now facebook now. It wasn't just criticism. And I think it can be considered generous to include Blaze so many years later, he is not signed to any real management or record label promoting him anymore, that was propably up to Dome himself.

Maybe he wrote about Wolfsbane back in the day as well.

But still:
Steve Harris decided to fire Blaze by the third quarter of 1998 or so. Propably even when most of the U.S dates were cancelled in the summer of 1998, other plans were starting to roll out inside Maiden camp. People got what they wanted just around 3 years after the release of the The X Factor.

And with that, I think there's no need for any journalist to ridicule Blaze when he has been gone for so long. That was over the top.

Last edited:
Metallica gets its name from his book 'Encyclopedia Metallica'
That’s not the story Lars tells, for whatever it’s worth:

Lars told that same story on a BBC documentary around the time they played Hammersmith on the Justice tour, pretty sure it's on youtube. Worth looking for as there's also about half an hour of great footage from the gig, Santarium and Justice were two of the tracks I remember

Malcolm Dome made an interview with Blaze in 2018 for the magazine "Rock Candy" apparently:

That can explain Blaze's post now facebook now. It wasn't just criticism. And I think it can be considered generous to include Blaze so many years later, he is not signed to any real management or record label promoting him anymore, that was propably up to Dome himself.

Maybe he wrote about Wolfsbane back in the day as well.
Maybe ...

Or maybe Blaze is just a generous spirit who doesn't hold grudges and finds it genuinely tragic for anyone to be dead at 66 :S

I think that some of you would like to read this review of the Metallica's 'Kill 'em All' by Malcolm Dome for Kerrang Magazine issue 47 July-August. The guy was so passionated discovering new music and artists…

killemallreview.png

Tasteless
I have my moments. But take it with a little grain of salt as well. If Monty Python would make such a remark, we'd still be laughing.

Edit: on a more serious note, people I like less than others, I'm less sad about when their time has come. Everyone is.
That listening session article was one of the biggest t(h!)rashings in Maiden their history.

That said, was it rude to make such a remark? Probably. But did I cheer his death? I did not. Do Maiden fans mourn deeply? Nope.

Last edited:
Maybe ...

Or maybe Blaze is just a generous spirit who doesn't hold grudges and finds it genuinely tragic for anyone to be dead at 66 :S
Ironic really, Blaze even wrote a song about a specific journalist - Alive on Blood and Belief, is about Dave Ling (Classic Rock Magazine)! He thought that he treated him unfairly through the years. But nice to see that he thinks more highly of Dome.

Edit:
On the other hand, he seems to be more friendly towards Ling in recent years, speaking with him on the phone about Wolfsbane's touring plans a few years ago and having quite a friendly conversation:
:D

Last edited:
Ironic really, Blaze even wrote a song about a specific journalist - Alive on Blood and Belief, is about Dave Ling (Classic Rock Magazine)! He thought that he treated him unfairly through the years. But nice to see that he thinks more highly of Dome.

Edit:
On the other hand, he seems to be more friendly towards Ling in recent years, speaking with him on the phone about Wolfsbane's touring plans a few years ago and having quite a friendly conversation:

Bruce isn't a big fan of Mr Ling, either, after his review of Tattooed Millionaire. I think this was detailed in the 'Run To The Hills' book (but might be misremembering). The 'Branston Pickle Boy' incident?

Back on topic: I was very sad to hear about Malcolm Dome's passing. His writing was a major part of my music reading in the 80s/90s. He was very enthusiatic about the more 'underground' areas of metal. I don't agree with his assessment of The X-Factor but I still think he was a great bloke.

Bruce isn't a big fan of Mr Ling, either, after his review of Tattooed Millionaire. I think this was detailed in the 'Run To The Hills' book (but might be misremembering). The 'Branston Pickle Boy' incident?

But Blaze took his time to write these lyrics (I think the final straw was that Ling gave a poor review of his live album "As Live As it Gets" in Classic Rock).

Ling travelled on a small airplane piloted by Bruce over North America during the Ed Hunter tour btw, and Steve was on it as well. A really interesting article was written after that journey:

Last edited:
Ling was on a documentary on the BBC about superfans, as a supposed Maiden superfan. They showed his collection, not mentioning, that as a music journo, a lot of what he had would have been freebies.

Oh I see, you're using the "I was only joking" defence.

It is impossible to feel sadness about someone you have no emotional attachment to. "Less sad" or "more sad" means nothing in this case. Nobody here had any true human connection to this dude. People here feel at loss at a various degree because the deceased was connected to their world somehow.

So please refrain from taking positions in some kind of a morale fight.

Ling was on a documentary on the BBC about superfans, as a supposed Maiden superfan. They showed his collection, not mentioning, that as a music journo, a lot of what he had would have been freebies.

Unfair comment. Dave Ling has been a Maiden fan since the days the band were playing at the Marquee. He might have got some freebies over the years, but that does not mean his personal collection is just that.

On a related note, he is a nice chap, or at least he was quite nice to me when I had a chat with him at one of the Maiden gigs at the O2 in 2018.

Back