Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I'm interested in finding the advert for the Futureal single that was never released but I'm not really interested enough to ask. I had a look on the forum though and it doesn't seem there is anything even close to 1998 from Kerrang listed
sorry

16 rarely performed Maiden (classics) songs --
--
2.New Frontier
--
7.Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger

Yeah, right. The Fallen Angel and Different World don't quite fit in to that category either. Anyway, while there's many great tunes listed there, I'm really confused how something like New Frontier is there and Only The Good Die Young, for example, isn't.

Not sure where to put this, since it is someone talking about Maiden. But it's probably more on topic than anything else on the last one and a half page.
I don't think he mentions Harris once, so I am not sure if this should be taken seriously.

Not sure where to put this, since it is someone talking about Maiden. But it's probably more on topic than anything else on the last one and a half page.
I don't think he mentions Harris once, so I am not sure if this should be taken seriously.
I've seen it the other day and it's a great review. He says he mentioned Harris but he missed him in the video edition

He doesn’t really talk about anything. His “analysis” basically boils down to four points: they use guitars with distortion, Bruce is a great singer, they are entertaining to watch, and they have great fashion sense. Very surface level stuff imo. No talk about the contrast between the guitar players, anything about the rhythm section, the arrangement of the parts.

Plus his information isn’t accurate. Maiden were obviously not the first band to have two lead guitarists in the band or utilize guitar harmonies.

Remember the proshot show from Beat Club, Bremen, Germany 1981? Its usual among the bootleg-traders.
Now the Beat Club has uploaded best ever version of the show and it's full (this was only available as recorded from broadcast but with lesser songs):

[00:00:22] Ides of March (from tape)
[00:02:10] Prowler
[00:06:05] Charlotte the Harlot
[00:10:19] checking mental state of audience
[00:10:44] Wrathchild
[00:13:50] Remember Tomorrow (1st try)
[00:15:18] remember audio engineer lessons
[00:18:07] Remember Tomorrow (2nd try)
[00:23:42] Transylvania
[00:27:40] Running Free
[00:31:10] Innocent Exile
[00:35:23] Sanctuary (1st try)
[00:39:33] Killers
[00:44:45] Another Life
[00:48:30] Phantom of the Opera
[00:55:51] Iron Maiden
[01:00:06] Sanctuary (2nd try)

There's some problems, Spinal Tap moment and electric stuff going right in the middle of Remember Tomorrow.
Electrics go out, band get some beer and things get sorted or worked out.
Wow, this is great quality and never would have thought to see this.

It took over half a year but I finally got around to watching this. Incredible stuff! I don’t mind digging it up again as this topic has been quiet and anyone who missed it the first time around really needs to get on it. Perhaps the best video footage of the Di’Anno era (at least until the entire Rainbow concert surfaces).

It always blows my mind how good the band sounded during this period. Especially in light of the recently surfaced recordings from the 70's and the few studio recordings that existed prior to the debut album. Something happened that really lit a fire under the band. I'm inclined to say it was Clive Burr. Sure we can nitpick various mistakes here and there, but overall the band is really tight and energetic which is what matters most. Dealing with two guitars and a bass player with a tendency to rush can easily lead to a trainwreck, but it never happens. Both guitarists are very tight and the band sounds like seasoned pros, not a bunch of East End amateurs. Paul sounds fantastic.

They definitely became a different band after this. I would argue a better band. But footage like this does show why they stuck out among a crowded field of NWOBHM groups.

I'm interested in finding the advert for the Futureal single that was never released but I'm not really interested enough to ask. I had a look on the forum though and it doesn't seem there is anything even close to 1998 from Kerrang listed

Here you go... As you can see, there were plans to release the single in 3 formats as TAATG but ended up just being released in CD

Attachments

• 01. Futureal Ad.jpg
    01. Futureal Ad.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 34
Brilliant!

It's interesting to note that the CD that was released was a combination of the two planned. They must not have produced any of these singles as advertised.

Here you go... As you can see, there were plans to release the single in 3 formats as TAATG but ended up just being released in CD

The cover of the CD 2 in this poster - I've never seen it before! It's like the original cover for ''Futureal'', i.e. weak weak weak.... a blatant rip off of the SIT album cover.

Last edited:
Another interesting detail is that it seems that the picture disc was the feature a different live version of MOTE. Note that the CD2 says it was to contain the Live version that eventually ended up in the only CD version released

Back