Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Hmmmm probably it was a private copy from the studio but I'm pretty sure it was available on date (not for the general public then)

A promo record with 3 tracks was available before the release of Virtual XI. You might be referring to this one. :)

By then Virtual XI has not even been released! If I remember correctly, the first news about the Futureal single came out in the summer, way after the album had been released.

Solved the mystery of the February date, I have checked and the date I have is July 28, 1998 so I wonder why would it be another date? How do you @srfc remember it was past september?

How do you @srfc remember it was past september?

I don't remember anything specifically about dates but I remember the ad in Kerrang which has that date and I remember waiting for it to be released and nothing happening for a while and then I remember there being an announcement in the FC magazine that it would only be available from the FC.

So basically, all I can really say for sure is that I remember it came out a while after the Kerrang advertisement, so it depends on when that advertisement was in Kerrang, presumably some time before September 7th.

I'm not a game player but I think that this company wants to make money trough confusion with the Iron Maiden Trademark.
I think Maiden has another lawsuit out there with a thing related with false t-shirts and tickets

They should be sued for the simple fact that this game looks like 1999 shit Version of EdHunter, which by 99 already was old

I'm not a game player but I think that this company wants to make money trough confusion with the Iron Maiden Trademark.
I think Maiden has another lawsuit out there with a thing related with false t-shirts and tickets
Nah, if anything it's a bit cheeky reference. Saying they're doing it on purpose when the game itself and its logo have nothing to do with Maiden's typical look is a laughable reach.

Either way I don't think there should be much of a case for the band (this feels like one hell of a reach in every respect, tbh) but trademarks are kind of a mess under US law so it's very possible management calculated the risk and went with it because they might win. I think it's a bullshit trademark suit, but it's hardly the first of its kind.

The band (well, Rod, mostly) has had an aggressive copyright strategy for a long time, going back to the alleged phone call Steve got from the Bolton Iron Maiden in the band's early days. I'm not surprised by this and when I saw the game awhile ago I thought "uhoh, Rod's gonna sue".

Legally speaking, they have every right to sue (in fact, trademark law kind of forces them to sue if they have reason to believe someone is infringing on their trademark) and may have enough to force a settlement but I personally feel it's super petty and judging by the evidence presented, a questionable case from a common sense perspective. Legally sound, maybe. But a reach otherwise.

Apparently 3D Realms actually abandoned the Ion Maiden trademark early this year, so I think they may have some sort of strategy at play here. We'll see.

Blabbermouth tries to arouse controversy and make this thing bigger. Now in big letters they say: Iron Maiden vs Ion Maiden. They're rats.

Blabbermouth tries to arouse controversy and make this thing bigger. Now in big letters they say: Iron Maiden vs Ion Maiden. They're rats.
This case is actually being reported in the legal industry news, too. (A copy of the complaint is attached.) It presents rather interesting legal issues, including whether there is a likelihood of consumer confusion. Is someone who wants to play an Iron Maiden video game like Legacy or Ed Hunter likely to be confused and buy this instead? Or to think that the band is behind the Ion Maiden game? Perhaps not, at least among hardcore fans of the band. But it is tough to imagine that the makers of Ion Maiden didn't at least consider that it is pretty damn similar to Iron Maiden.

Bear in mind that this is a trademark claim, not a copyright claim -- very different.

Attachments

• 1164000-1164314-https-ecf-cacd-uscourts-gov-doc1-031130693527.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 2
Kind of Hypocritical to make fun of metallica for trying to protect their copyrighted songs and sue a trash company for a trash game over 2 million lousy Dollars

I bet band members are not aware of most of the things that Andy Taylor does...

Back