Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Maiden without Dickinson is still Maiden while having no theatrics. So I wouldn't push Brown into that list. I also don't see the point of listing Hendrix and not listing Pat Travers, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Richie Blackmore or Gary Moore, if we're going into who was influential for guitars in Maiden.

The list is on the right track with heavy (Sabbath, Purple, Zep, UFO) and prog (Genesis, Tull, Wishbone, VDGG). It would be pretty much complete with Floyd, Rainbow, Golden Earring, Lizzy and Beckett.

Not sure which thread this best fits, but I got Popoff's new Iron Maiden book (Album by Album - https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Maiden-...d=1539867952&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+maiden+book) in last night and it's pretty awesome.

I thought it would be just him going through all the albums and his take (and some of it definitely is) but it's basically a series of long interviews with metal folks (Bobby Blitz, Blaze Bayley, Tim Henderson, someone who is/was in the Iron Maidens, Portnoy, Marty Friedman, Chris Jericho) and their take on certain albums. It's arranged into 16 different chapters - one for each studio album. Different chapters have interviews with different folks and they share stories/anecdotes/thoughts on whatever album is in discussion.

It doesn't include a lot of new pictures that weren't already in the previous Popoff Maiden book but it's worth a look. They are quite respectful of even the most divisive Maiden albums so it's not entirely a praise/moan kind of format. Hardcover, 250+ pages, good stuff for the collection.

Interesting, are there opinions of these legends such as Portnoy or Friedman on newer, 21st century albums?

Interesting, are there opinions of these legends such as Portnoy or Friedman on newer, 21st century albums?
No, those are pretty much relegated to the classic albums. I can't recall offhand who they interviewed for the 21st century stuff, but I want to say Jericho, Tim Henderson and the dude from Trivium chimed in mostly.

Maiden without Dickinson is still Maiden while having no theatrics.

I don't agree. Bruce is integral part of the Maiden success and he is THE voice of Maiden. Though, I agree with you about the bands that should have been added.

You may have misunderstood me, I mean't that Di'Anno or Bayley aren't really into theatrics, and they were Maiden frontmen. Because only Dickinson is into theatrics, so when he isn't in the band there aren't any, stage and props aside.

You may have misunderstood me, I mean't that Di'Anno or Bayley aren't really into theatrics, and they were Maiden frontmen. Because only Dickinson is into theatrics, so when he isn't in the band there aren't any, stage and props aside.

Oh yeah, I misunderstood you :) I just wanted to say that Maiden is not quite the same band without Bruce. He is very important to the band.

Last edited:
Old interview with Bruce from 2010, during the promo for TFF. Apologies if this has been posted at some point.

Interesting one, thanks for sharing!

I really like how Bruce describes the album and it's structure. It even gives some sense to it. I mean, starting off more or less straightforward and familiar and moving slowly towards more subtle, big, adventurous, even jazz- and jam-like and folky stuff. It all sounds so good when he puts it that way, haha. :D

The album didn't turn out to be garbage or anything, but at the same time it never really was quite as adventurous and amazing as I expected it to be and how all the marketing and the first praising comments made it feel like. Naturally ,that's the thing going on with every release, but that's not the point. TBOS was quite the opposite; I had a lot of doubts, but despite it's flaws I find it much stronger record overall and their performance and the (still pretty raw) mix really made it sound much better and like they actually wanted to give their everything.

I guess it's more or less public secret that Bruce and Adrian weren't too happy with how TFF ended up sounding and perhaps the way some of the writing went down made them do things just a tad bit different way with TBOS?

I guess my point was that as good as most of the songs on TFF really are, the album never really reached the potential of all the ideas that were around that time. It's a good album with a handful of gems, but same could be said about many "lesser" Maiden albums.

Attachments

• MaidenSinger.jpg
    MaidenSinger.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 19
  • MaidenGuitar.jpg
    MaidenGuitar.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 17
  • MaidenDrums.jpg
    MaidenDrums.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back