Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I really enjoy this guy's videos.

I never knew that the band had approached Frank Herbert and that he threatened to sue them if they named TTAL Dune.

Are there any copies of the letter he wrote or more details on what was said?

I never knew that the band had approached Frank Herbert and that he threatened to sue them if they named TTAL Dune.

There are actually a couple of hundred(?) editions of Piece of Mind where the song is named Dune. You can find pictures of it online. I think it was maybe a Japanese edition? The refusal from Frank Herbert was very late and they had already made some copies of the album.

There is a rant by Bruce talking about it during a gig in Canada '83 somewhere in Youtube.
About if that letter exist…Only Rod knows.
There were a few copies I think Italian first copies of Piece of Mind where the song is titled Dune

There are actually a couple of hundred(?) editions of Piece of Mind where the song is named Dune. You can find pictures of it online. I think it was maybe a Japanese edition? The refusal from Frank Herbert was very late and they had already made some copies of the album.
You were quick…I'm dead :lol: :applause:

I'll bet those are worth a few pennies.

You were quick…I'm dead :lol: :applause:

AnguishedColorfulBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

Apparently his agent responded to Maiden's request with a quote along the lines of:

'No - Mr Herbert does not like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands and especially heavy rock bands like Iron Maiden.'

Part 4

MH: Did you discuss with each other before you tried synthesizers, or were you confident that the Maiden fans would accept it?

AS: The synthesizers were used so subtly that we didn't worry about it. It just fit with the sound. It felt right, so we did it. The fact that this album is still loved today shows that our gut feeling was probably right,

MH: Is there a particular song from "SOMEWHERE IN TIME" that you think is a bit under underrated in your opinion?

AS: "Stranger in A Strange Land" is a real favorite of mine; unfortunately we haven't played it much live yet. Did you know that I wrote that riff in Jersey after I just had a root canal at the dentist? I had this sound in my head and I got out my four-track-recorder and recorded the riff. It was worth the pain, I think.

MH: The artwork of "SOMEWHERE IN TIME" is still outstanding. What were your initial thoughts after you saw it for the first time?

AS: I thought at the time of first seeing it that it was really fitting. The cover and Eddie perfectly captured the science fiction vibe of the album. perfectly. The current artwork for the upcoming "The Future Past" tour fits great as well. It made me look forward to the concerts right away.

MH: The "Trooper Beer" is coming to Germany. What do you personally like about this beer, and how have your drinking habits on tour changed over the decades?

AS: The mastermind behind the beer is Bruce. You'd have to ask him about the little details. All I know is, since the introduction of the Trooper beer ten years ago, there have been about 35 million pints (about 16.5 million liters - Editor's note) sold worldwide. That's quite a lot ... I'm looking forward to tasting the new version for Germany on tour. If anyone knows anything about beer, it's Germany. We are eager to see the reactions. As for drinking on tour: We're not twenty anymore, that's definitely changed over the decades. We all liked to drink a little bit, but today we are more restrained and have our own hobbies to keep ourselves fit. We don't have crazy rock'n'roll parties backstage anymore. I prefer to enjoy a French or Italian white wine.

MH: The "World Slavery" tour is considered to be the most strenuous tour of Iron Maiden's career. Do you also feel that way?

AS: It was indeed a challenge, but we were driven by success at the time; we felt invincible and were able to just keep going. When it comes to the way we travel, we have it very good these days, but it is still exhausting. Europe is better in some respects because the distances are shorter and the differences between countries are greater. So you have the opportunity to explore cities - something we never used to do. I remember a hotel in Germany, from whose window I was looking right at a neighboring cemetery and its graves. That wasn't so great. But maybe Eddie would have looked after me. (laughs).

Here, for those who are interested: Bremen 1981, full gig. Excerpts have been around for years yet, but not the entire gig. So this gives us the best ever quality live recording of Charlotte The Harlot yet.

Bremen 1981 full

00:00:22] Ides Of March (from tape)
[00:02:10] Prowler
[00:06:05] Charlotte The Harlot
[00:10:19] checking mental state of audience
[00:10:44] Wrathchild
[00:13:50] Remember Tomorrow (1st try)
[00:15:18] remember audio engineer lessons
[00:18:07] Remember Tomorrow (2nd try)
[00:23:42] Transylvania
[00:27:40] Running Free
[00:31:10] Innocent Exile
[00:35:23] Sanctuary (1st try)
[00:39:33] Killers
[00:44:45] Another Life
[00:48:30] Phantom Of The Opera
[00:55:51] Iron Maiden
[01:00:06] Sanctuary (2nd try)

Last edited:
AS: The synthesizers were used so subtly that we didn't worry about it. It just fit with the sound. It felt right, so we did it. The fact that this album is still loved today shows that our gut feeling was probably right.
AS: I thought at the time of first seeing it that it was really fitting. The cover and Eddie perfectly captured the science fiction vibe of the album. perfectly. The current artwork for the upcoming "The Future Past" tour fits great as well. It made me look forward to the concerts right away.
So true for both comments.

Back