Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Somebody pointed it out a while back in another thread that apparently it did bother him and so now all the guitars are perfectly in tune. If you listen to bootlegs from 2000 onward, Janick's guitar is definitely in tune but it very obviously isn't here.

Might have something to do with the return of self-proclaimed tuning Nazi to the band...

Last edited:
One could argue that Derek Riggs lost interest in Eddie around the No Prayer for the Dying era
It's no surprise when you see others getting loads of money by using your work while you get paid upon order. ;)
And that era is when Maiden got a #1 single... some might say because of the fact it was sold in multiple formats with different covers.

Interestingly, DR rather likes the Eddie on the album cover.
I quite like the Eddie. The left hand on the figure didn't really work right, the fingers are too far apart...oh well. I think the original was even taller than this. they used to do some packaging in the USA that was a tall and thin box thing and had the CD in a recess in the middle. So only the middle part of this was on the CD. The rest was for the packaging.

Here's a close-up of it, this is just the bit that went onto the CD. The name plate on the tomb lid was left blank so that Maiden could think up something clever to put on there, I guess nothing clever ever came to mind...
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20110925032130/http://www.derekriggs.com/

I had read somewhere that for Fear of the Dark, whose working title was 009 (it was the ninth studio album), Riggs had drawn an Eddie in the guise of James Bond. Sadly, I have never seen it (note that I have not gotten hold of Run For Cover yet).

Last edited:
Might have something to do with the return of self-proclaimed tuning Nazi to the band...
I actually kind of like the weird almost chorus like effect having a second guitar slightly off creates, but admittedly all of those carefully crafted three (formerly two) part harmonies kind of fall apart if one of the guitars is even slightly out of tune, so it's probably for the best.

I had read somewhere that for Fear of the Dark, whose working title was 009 (it was the ninth studio album), Riggs had drawn an Eddie in the guise of James Bond. Sadly, I have never seen it (note that I have not gotten hold of Run For Cover yet).

Wow. I never knew that. 009 would have been a lame title, but I wish we can see this JB Eddie. (I think it's not on the book). The bat Eddie he had done for FOTD is good (though unfinished), but the FOTD cover Maiden went for is timeless. My favorite album cover (Powerslave one is close second).

had read somewhere that for Fear of the Dark, whose working title was 009 (it was the ninth studio album), Riggs had drawn an Eddie in the guise of James Bond. Sadly, I have never seen it (note that I have not gotten hold of Run For Cover yet).
You must get the book mate. It's very good. It could be much better though but it has a lot of info about his draws.
I don't know anything about that working title. At time of Fear of the Dark he describes how Rod, Steve were the perfect clients from Hell that any artist wants to work with. The following text is what Martin Popoff -as the writer- tells in the book:
Up to this point, Derek's arrangement with Rod and the band worked very well. That would all change come 1992's Fear of the Dark, which would wind up with an Eddie grafted to a tree, courtesy of one Melvyn Grant. "What can I say about Derek's art that Maiden fans have not already said" offers Grant. "Good music is always enhanced by strong imagery and the roll his work has played in the power of maiden should not be underestimated."
There with stories going around at the time that three artists were given the chance to come up with the penultimate Fear of the Dark image. Here's how Derek himself sees the situation.
"Fear of the Dark, they had asked me for sketches along certain lines. I'd do a lot of sketches, and thenthey'd act like they never asked for them, or something weird. I submitted 20 ideas, 20 original Eddie ideas of sketches; it took about three weeks. So I show him these and he just flipped trough them quickly while talking on the phone, and threw them back to me and said, 'Well, where are all the ideas I asked for you?' 'Excuse me?' I had done a load of sketches at one point. He had said at one point, 'We're going to make Eddie look like a werewolf. So do us a load of sketches of Eddie as a werewolf.' So then I did about 10, 15 sketches of what Eddie might look like as a werewolf. I took them in there, and he's going, 'Well, why's he always looking like a werewolf?' And it's just like, 'Well, that's what you asked me to do.' 'No, no, that was last week. We want him to look like a vampire now.' And then he starts going, 'Steve's got this guy who does tattooes, and he drew this picture, and we want Eddie to look like that. And this went on and on and on. And in the end I just said, 'Look, find someone else to do it.' In the end I did one sketch of Eddie, it was a design for Eddie leaning over the foot of the bed, leaning over the foot of the bed, leaning toward you. You could see the feet of the person, and you can see the end of the bed, and you can see his handswere clutching the sheets, and Eddie was leaningover the foot of the bed, and in the darkness around him were all these sort of monsters coming out of the dark. And I showed them the sketch, and they took it away, because I was just starting painting it, and they took it to Steve. Steve wanted him sitting at the foot of the bed like a little two foot-high demon with pointy ears sticking his tongue out. At that point I just said, you know, I've had enough, I'm sick of this, I'm not going to do any more of this. And I put the phone down. I wouldn't talk to him again. And they ended up using the Eddie coming out of a tree. And that was sort of the beginning of the end."

So maybe that draw that you're saying could one of those at the begining of the process who knows. Maybe you can write Derek to ask for that.

So maybe that draw that you're saying could one of those at the begining of the process who knows. Maybe you can write Derek to ask for that.

Here's Derek's less than stellar sketch for Fear of the Dark. No wonder they went with Melvyn Grant's stellar artwork instead!

Dc5ushRWkAA1CuD.jpg

Wow. I never knew that. 009 would have been a lame title, but I wish we can see this JB Eddie. (I think it's not on the book). The bat Eddie he had done for FOTD is good (though unfinished), but the FOTD cover Maiden went for is timeless. My favorite album cover (Powerslave one is close second).

That don't surprised me, seeing what they would naming the following albums.
If they title the new album. 17 or Seventeen. I'm going to sell all my Maiden stuff so be ready to bet for it LOL

Rod's version:
"By the end of the '80's we were all a bit knackered." says Rod. An album and tour nearly every year. We took '89 off and I moved back from the States to Engalnd and got married and starting having kids. The rest of the band were all married with kids by then, all very young, so we all had something else important in our lives. We got a bit short of inspiration –No prayer for the Dying was by no stretch one of our best albums and the artwork wasn't up to our previous standards. Between us we all couldn't get a good idea together so at the last minute we just had to decide and went with a very basic idea. Derek's Eddie was one of the best he did but the guy by the grave didn't do it for me which is why we changed it later. We felt it was time for a bit of a change but were reluctant to leave the tried, trusted and valued but I think Derek was a bit bored of Eddie by then, or more likely bored with us! We tried some ideas with him but we just weren't communicating well so we looked at alternatives. Melvin Grant did the cover for Fear of the Dark."

That don't surprised me, seeing what they would naming the following albums.
If they title the new album. 17 or Seventeen. I'm going to sell all my Maiden stuff so be ready to bet for it LOL

The new album is going to be called "East 17" in tribute to the boy band who are also cockneys like Maiden. A new single, a cover of the 1994 Christmas number one "Stay Another Day" is being released next week.

The new album is going to be called "East 17" in tribute to the boy band who are also cockneys like Maiden. A new single, a cover of the 1994 Christmas number one "Stay Another Day" is being released next week.
You just stole the joke I was going to make! :D

I remember when the best band on earth released a single on December 24th, 1990 and they were no.1 in their country
They caught the UK Music business with the pants down :lol:

You must get the book mate. It's very good. It could be much better though but it has a lot of info about his draws.
I don't know anything about that working title. At time of Fear of the Dark he describes how Rod, Steve were the perfect clients from Hell that any artist wants to work with. The following text is what Martin Popoff -as the writer- tells in the book:

Interesting info from Derek about FOTD album cover. If only we can see these 20 Eddies sketches... :blush:

Eddie as a werewolf would be quite good, I think (as a vampire - maybe too).

Last edited:
I don't know. Eddie could make a good Nosferatu, which he kinda already resembles on the FotD cover. He could also do a Dracula I think, if it was done creatively and didn't look like something from The Monster Squad.

Back