Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

over 2 million lousy Dollars
Well, that's only the statutory damages. Perhaps the more important potential remedy is an injunction blocking the release of the game. I don't know what the game's budget is, but theoretically that threat could be worth a helluva lot more than $2MM.

Kind of Hypocritical to make fun of metallica for trying to protect their copyrighted songs and sue a trash company for a trash game over 2 million lousy Dollars
To be fair, that was just Bruce mouthing off as usual (and, according to Lars Ulrich at least, he didn't really mind because that's just what Bruce does) and this seems more of a management level decision. The band might not even be aware of it, or only aware in the sense that Rod or someone told them "yeah there's going to be a suit but you don't need to worry about it" and that's that.

I'm willing to bet we'll find out that the whole thing was designed as a tribute to Maiden and Steve.

To be fair, that was just Bruce mouthing off as usual (and, according to Lars Ulrich at least, he didn't really mind because that's just what Bruce does) and this seems more of a management level decision. The band might not even be aware of it, or only aware in the sense that Rod or someone told them "yeah there's going to be a suit but you don't need to worry about it" and that's that.

To be fair, Bruce said he did not mind the downloading of Wildest Dreams as long as the fans bought the album in September.

Bottom line is Lars was right in going after the people who were not paying for his work.

Interview with Nicko by Modern Drummer:

"McBrain remains a truly soulful drummer in a genre not known for subtlety"

Great line.

EDIT: he says they used a click track on a couple of tracks on Book of Souls, I know he mentioned before that Man of Sorrows is one and that the first section is actually Dave's original demo, any ideas on the others?

To be fair, Bruce said he did not mind the downloading of Wildest Dreams as long as the fans bought the album in September.

Bottom line is Lars was right in going after the people who were not paying for his work.
Yeah, Metallica went after Napster and its owners, and despite numerous claims otherwise never once filed a suit against a single fan of theirs. They did provide a list of users who had downloaded their music using the service after Napster's lawyers asked for it (it was meant to be a "gotcha" moment for them since Napster didn't think it was actually possible to get that kind of information without a massive hassle) but that's it, really.

Even then the big issue at the time for the band was the distribution and leaking of unfinished work, which went so far that it actually got played on the radio in some countries. I think from a historical perspective it was a pretty reasonable concern, especially now that the record industry has basically turned on its head and releasing music is practically unprofitable, largely due to the rise of streaming and the devaluation of music in the wake of piracy.

"McBrain remains a truly soulful drummer in a genre not known for subtlety"

Great line.

EDIT: he says they used a click track on a couple of tracks on Book of Souls, I know he mentioned before that Man of Sorrows is one and that the first section is actually Dave's original demo, any ideas on the others?
Probably Empire- lots of very odd stuff happens in the middle, plus Bruce was self admittedly not the most on-tempo pianist

I remember an interview where someone said Empire’s piano parts were midi corrected, so there was probably a click involved at some point (assuming it was quantized and not all done by hand).

Back