Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Blaaaah, that Worst Songs list is a disgrace.

The Duellists is not even the worst song on Powerslave. Also, "a self indulgent ode to the art of fencing" - Bruce didn't even write it!

Quest for Fire is corny as shit, but far from bad. Only the weakest on the album by default, the rest is so good.

Strange World is one of Maidens best songs. Fuck you, list.

Starblind... well, Vulture Hound are too much in favour of TFF to me, 8/10 is generous. The album would still be weak if Starblind were on it or not, but that's another thing. It's far from "by the numbers" or "devoid of interest", quite the opposite I think. Very interesting and unique musically and lyrically.

Weekend Warrior is only really bad due to the lyrics and Bruces God-awful performance.

TAATG is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. There are far worse songs on that album.

Blaaaah, that Worst Songs list is a disgrace.

The Duellists is not even the worst song on Powerslave. Also, "a self indulgent ode to the art of fencing" - Bruce didn't even write it!

Quest for Fire is corny as shit, but far from bad. Only the weakest on the album by default, the rest is so good.

Strange World is one of Maidens best songs. Fuck you, list.

Starblind... well, Vulture Hound are too much in favour of TFF to me, 8/10 is generous. The album would still be weak if Starblind were on it or not, but that's another thing. It's far from "by the numbers" or "devoid of interest", quite the opposite I think. Very interesting and unique musically and lyrically.

Weekend Warrior is only really bad due to the lyrics and Bruces God-awful performance.

TAATG is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. There are far worse songs on that album.

I pretty much agree with you ! The Duellists is a hidden gem, Quest For Fire is not that bad, Starblind is a very good song, too long and some crazy improvisation in the solo (like on IOA and TMWWBK), Weekend Warrior is ok, also TAATG, especially the short version, but Strange World belongs in this worst list for me !

I also will never put Invaders and Gangland on such list. On the other hand, Age Of Innocence totally deserves its place there !

I'd say everyone in the world (except for a few oddballs maybe) have the same tracks 8-5 and 4-1 just not in the same order.

1. Rime
  2. Aces
  3. Powerslave
  4. Village
  5. Minutes
  6. Blade
  7. Duellists
  8. ‘Orra
And all in my Top 40.

I'd say everyone in the world (except for a few oddballs maybe) have the same tracks 8-5 and 4-1 just not in the same order.
8/ Flash of the Blade (silly music)
7/ Two minutes to Midnight (boring riff)
6/ Back in the Village (good song in a brilliant album)
5/Aces's High (so dynamic)
4/ Powerslave (good song with a fantastic chorus and a great bassline)
3/ Losfer Words (fantastic instrumental, only second to Genghis Khan)
2/ The Duellists
1/ Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Masterpiece)

that's the exact order I'd rank them too.

That's mine:

8. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
7. Back In The Village
6. Flash Of The Blade
5. The Duellists
4. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3. 2 Minutes To Midnight
2. Aces High
1. Powerslave

1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner/Aces High
3. Powerslave
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight
5. Flash of the Blade
6. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
7. The Duelists
8. Back In the Village

Although I love the entire album. 2M2M is a song where i hate it half the time and then enjoy it when there is time inbetween hearing it

For me:

Powerslave (4th favourite Maiden song ever)
Ancient Mariner (8th)
Aces High
Duellists
Back in the Village - Great music, but I don't like the lyrics much.
Flash of the Blade
2 Minutes to Midnight
Losfer Words

Of all Maiden's "overplayed" singles, 2 Minutes is at the bottom with CIPWM, but even then I don't hate it. It just never appealed to me that much.

On Wikipedia, about TBOS album it says that: "Shadows of the Valley", "Death or Glory", "Speed of Light" and "If Eternity Should Fail" were the first songs written for the album''. -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Souls

I think I had read that:

the first song written for TFF album was Isle Of Avalon
and the first song written for AMOLAD album was Lord Of Light

I wonder, is there any information about the other albums about which were the first song/s written for them... ::)

Last edited:
Back