Iron Maiden Covers Album - Would You Buy It?

Ian Sane

Invader
I was thinking the other day about a bunch of cool covers the band has recorded over the years.
Would you buy a compilation album of covers? I think it would be a cool set.

Women In Uniform
I've Got The Fire - Live
Cross-Eyed Mary
I've Got The Fire
King Of Twilight
Rainbow's Gold
Massacre
All In Your Mind
Communication Breakdown
I'm A Mover
Kill Me Ce Soir
Space Station #5
I Can't See My Feelings
Doctor Doctor
My Generation
Hocus Pocus
Space Truckin'

Perhaps a couple of new tracks, maybe a Rainbow cover...

I didn't include the The Entire Population Of Hackney tracks or Roll Over Vic Vella, but perhaps they could be included too...

Thoughts?

No.

I'm not a covers person. The number of times I've encountered a cover as good as the original work can be counted on one hand and that's true even if it is my favourite band doing the covering. I wish every band would just stick to making their own music.

Halestorm is a band I quite enjoy that's insistent upon doing this and as much as I love them I hate them for it.

There are few bands that do covers well enough for me to be interested. Iron Maiden has such a unique style that they sound really weird when they attempt one.

I would say no to a Maiden covers album. The good ones they've actually churned out are pretty few and far between. For the most part, I just don't think doing covers suits them. It doesn't really work in the way it does for others. Funny @DJMayes should mention Halestorm, as they're a good example of a band whose covers I generally do really like.

That album pretty much already exists.

Iron_Maiden_-_Best_Of_The_'B'_Sides_cover.jpg

I actually listened to both discs the other day. Probably the first time since the first time, which was day of release. Total disgrace that Ive Got the Fire live isnt on it

These covers are not on Best of the 'B' Sides:

1. I've Got the Fire (live version)
2. Women in Uniform: not a B-side
3. Massacre
4. Hocus Pocus (recorded later)
5. Space Truckin' (recorded later)

Let's have an EP then. :--)

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

3. Massacre
... and that's precisely why I like the idea of a cover album, along with the possibility of some new or unreleased cover tunes.
It's not meant to replace a new album, just a nice volume to collect ALL the cover tunes in the one place.

I have "Best of the B'Sides", it's not quite the same thing.

3. Massacre

Let's have an EP then. :--)

Did I miss anything?

Tush - ZZ Top and Angel of Death - Thin Lizzy which are unreleased from the same sessions as Hocus Pocus and Space Truckin'.

Tush - ZZ Top
I think they also played this one at the wedding they were invited at, in Eastern Europe, while shooting "Behind the Iron Curtain". But I didn't know they covered "Angel of Death" :)

Last edited:
I would be interested if they did new covers .. at least some new covers .. that they had not done already. Most of what they have , I already have on B-sides, etc.

What I love about some of those covers (particularly Juanita) is that Bruce's voice always takes it into swashbuckling over-the-top territory even if the original song was straightforward, and it's always humorous to me when I hear Bruce sing 'conventional' lyrics...they could cover a Duran Duran song without changing any of the lyrics and they could still make it feel like you're going on a super serious death defying journey ("Hungrrrry like the WOOOOOLLLLLLFFFFFF AIIIIEEEEEEEE")

I would be interested if they did new covers .. at least some new covers .. that they had not done already. Most of what they have , I already have on B-sides, etc.
This. I don't know if "Best of B Sides" was sold outside of Eddie's Archives but I still wouldn't buy it. I don't have urge to buy greatest hits/best of-s from bands that I know their entire back catalogue, even if it remastered for 100th time or has one new song on it. But some new covers would be welcome, they haven't done anything on that topic (at least official) since Hocus Pocus, and that was exactly 10 years ago.

Tush - ZZ Top and Angel of Death - Thin Lizzy which are unreleased from the same sessions as Hocus Pocus and Space Truckin'.
If these songs were added to the cover album, then I would have bought it straight away. Maiden dont have to do anything, they could have released them right now if they would

For some reason I thought this would concerning a photo album of Iron Maiden album covers printed in high quality. THAT, I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Back