Iron Maiden confirmed on the "Download TV Festival" - June 12-14

I would argue that expecting a 30-second video from Steve and Bruce in these unprecedented circumstances does not equal to expecting too much from them, particularly as they have been using their relationship with fans over the years as a way of differentiating themselves from other bands.

How much actual substance would that kind of a video have in the end, though?

However, in general, I do agree that they could have used this "gap year" as an excuse to release pretty much any kind of special material in YouTube at least, or other platforms. Given that over the last three decades, 1994 has been the only year with absolutely no gigs or new releases.

Then again, there is some appeal in this "let their hunger grow and let's just relax" approach they've taken and I'm totally fine with it. But given how sparing they've been with any kind of rarities or other special content since... well, 2002 and Eddie's Archives, this year would've totally been a good excuse to put out something.

But yeah, the tale goes on and on and on.

Reactions: Yax
I have always been a bit disappointed that Maiden don’t go down the rarities route. They have so much in their archives (look at the Early Days for crying out loud) and they don’t use it.

This pandemic would have been the ideal time to get some rarities out there for people to consume.

Bring back Dave Pattenden. At least he contributed to the compilation of decent DVD packages with decent documentaries and rarities.

It's not that I'm too bummed about it, but Maiden does have bit of an awkward strategy with the rarities.

For example, many other bands would've already put stuff like the content of Eddie's Archives available in streaming services or, at least, re-released them at some point. Wouldn't have been too bad idea to include something like Beast Over Hammersmith or Best of the B-Sides to the 2015 remastering process, for example. Also, various single B-sides such as '99 lives and that kind of stuff would very welcome additions to Spotify, Google Music and whatnot.

I can see the value of having a "clean sheet" when it comes to your band page at the mentioned services: all the studio albums as 2015 versions, all "retail" live albums and SBIT and From Fear to Eternity collections and not having all those singles laying around for some random live bonus tracks, yeah... Fair enough. And it definitely makes me value my physical records, especially those CD singles, a lot more, yeah, but still.

Oh well. It's the Maiden way and there's some charm in their stiff, conservative stubbornness with this kind of things. A lot of fans seem to use the "sure they'll release EVERYTHING when they call it a day" but... will they?

To be fair, Eddie's Archive was always intended to be a collector's item.

Yeah, that's a fair point!

But overall, I think that Maiden has been a bit too stubborn when it comes to establishing stuff that already exist in digital format for streaming services or re-releases etc. Well let's just hope that they'll milk us properly "when they call it a day!" :D

It's not that I'm too bummed about it, but Maiden does have bit of an awkward strategy with the rarities.

For example, many other bands would've already put stuff like the content of Eddie's Archives available in streaming services or, at least, re-released them at some point. Wouldn't have been too bad idea to include something like Beast Over Hammersmith or Best of the B-Sides to the 2015 remastering process, for example. Also, various single B-sides such as '99 lives and that kind of stuff would very welcome additions to Spotify, Google Music and whatnot.

I can see the value of having a "clean sheet" when it comes to your band page at the mentioned services: all the studio albums as 2015 versions, all "retail" live albums and SBIT and From Fear to Eternity collections and not having all those singles laying around for some random live bonus tracks, yeah... Fair enough. And it definitely makes me value my physical records, especially those CD singles, a lot more, yeah, but still.

Oh well. It's the Maiden way and there's some charm in their stiff, conservative stubbornness with this kind of things. A lot of fans seem to use the "sure they'll release EVERYTHING when they call it a day" but... will they?

All the 80's 7 inches are available on Maiden's youtube channel.

It is very frustrating that they have so much unreleased live material. They obviously audio recorded a lot of shows on every tour. All these live versions of the songs that they released as bonus tracks on singles are with great audio quality.

So why are there a lot of tours without a live audio album? I don't need a CD or some box set, just give me the opportunity to buy a digital format for example, some concert from 1999 tour or some Blaze concert.

They have that in the archive but they are just lazy and they don't care about their fans.
15 years ago, they were way more active with all those releases, and also give us Blu Ray quality of older concerts.

We are in 2020 and RiR is still only on DVD, Donington only on VHS.

All the 80's 7 inches are available on Maiden's youtube channel.

Yeah, but it's a bit lazy that they didn't put any of the B-sides separately to the music services. Oh well, small complaints, in the end. Those oldies, along with the live tracks from 90's onwards are just something I'd very much like to have available "on the go." :)

As said, I can see why, though.

I would also skip releasing through 'music services' because not everyone uses them. YT is no-login, directly googlable, just push play. There is no free mass media everyone is corporate backed but from the consumer standpoint YT is indeed free in both $ and hassle.

Also I don't care whether Dickinson or Harris address us in the times of need. That's absurd.

Reactions: Yax
You know what? I would like that some of the members would made a FAQ live video chat. 1 h session for example. 1 member per week.
They had a chance to be close with the fans and have fun. Talk about whatever…(except their private lives)…what they have done in the lockdown, how they stay fit, what books are reading, their opinions about the pandemy and what they think about. What music artist they're following or what music listened during this time…their hobbies, I don't know…something like they talked in the 80's magazines when they were asked.

I’m with Yax on this one. Maiden isn’t active right now and I don’t give a shit about what they have to say unless they are about to tour or release an album. Expecting anything more is entitlement of the worst kind. These guys could’ve retired decades ago, let them have a year off.

As far as releasing archival stuff, I would like that too but Maiden has never really been about that. I’m hoping they are saving it for when they retire. A box set of every Donington appearance would be pretty great, for example.

I agree, let them live.

However they could start working on releasing archives on regular basis. So people have something to look up to. Every year, some bootleg, and keep the interest up by releasing rare ones first. Even Piece of Mind tour doesn't have a representative audio record, let alone some more recent ones...

You know what? I would like that some of the members would made a FAQ live video chat. 1 h session for example. 1 member per week.
They had a chance to be close with the fans and have fun. Talk about whatever…(except their private lives)…what they have done in the lockdown, how they stay fit, what books are reading, their opinions about the pandemy and what they think about. What music artist they're following or what music listened during this time…their hobbies, I don't know…something like they talked in the 80's magazines when they were asked.
I wouldn't be interested in this. Most of the questions submitted for these sorts of things are insipid and many people, almost exclusively Latin Americans, get overexcited in the chat boxes which ruins the fun for everyone else. We also know all about their hobbies already.

A box set of every Donington appearance would be pretty great, for example.
More live versions of 'Iron Maiden', 'The Number of the Beast' and 'Fear of the Dark'. Fantastic. :p

I wouldn't be interested in this. Most of the questions submitted for these sorts of things are insipid and many people, almost exclusively Latin Americans, get overexcited in the chat boxes which ruins the fun for everyone else. We also know all about their hobbies already.

More live versions of 'Iron Maiden', 'The Number of the Beast' and 'Fear of the Dark'. Fantastic. :p
I’m thinking more along the lines of video and complete concerts. That means pro-shot footage of AMOLAD, Fear of the Dark, and Maiden England tours, plus high quality recordings of songs from AMOLAD that have yet to be released.

I know I am *VERY* late on this but for those of you who complained about not seeing video of Adrian's COTD solo from Beast Over Hammersmith, here you go:
To my knowledge they were all filmed but choice editing was made. There's a version of Murders In The Rue Morgue showing a drum cam of Clive's drum intro for example.
Back to reclusiveness I go :D

Back