IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS SURVIVOR: POWERSLAVE WINS

Satisfied?

• Total voters
On the other hand, it's amusing to see an album with Quest for Fire and To Tame a Land being so popular all of a sudden.
It depends on how you rate an album.
Rating it based on its perceived worst songs seems a bit strange to me. Quite a negative perspective.
For me, a mediocre consistent album with no bad songs is worse that an album with 80% fantastic awesome songs and couple of below average songs.

BTW To Tame a Land is a great song.

That's how it is for me. SIT might have a higher average rating for me, but AMOLAD and POM are overall more enjoyable for me. SIT doesn't have any songs worse than, say, The Pilgrim, but it also doesn't have any songs I like more than Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, The Trooper, BTATS, The Legacy, and For The Greater Good Of God.

Fallout shelter organised for Powerslave.
Seventh Son can come too.

Seriously, if my #2 and #3 are eliminated so early, I just want my favourite album to win.

Last edited:
So it seems the Top 3 will be P, SS and AMOLAD. Awesome! SS has its flaws, IMO, but even if it was No. 1, I'll be perfectly fine with that.

AMOLAD.

Great album, featuring some of Maidens heaviest and proggiest moments (elements which I enjoy).

That said, of those remaining, its the album Ive listened to least in the last few years.

Good Top 4.

Foro, I think TTAL is one of the best songs they ever did.
However, to the guy that said Piece Of Mind is the best; no it isn't. If we take a listen to see what creators have to say, then it would be AMOLAD. No other album has been played live in eternity.

What's the deal with AMOLAD and "progressive" adjective that's being stick to it? Apart from Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (which I think is one of a kind Maiden song) I can't find a single song on album that has different time-stamp, tempo, construction, formula etc.

Also, reading some post on this forum I came to conclusion that people who like AMOLAD a lot also like Book of Souls a lot. Or vice versa - people who don't like AMOLAD don't like BoS. Or am I wrong?

What's the deal with AMOLAD and "progressive" adjective that's being stick to it? Apart from Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (which I think is one of a kind Maiden song) I can't find a single song on album that has different time-stamp, tempo, construction, formula etc.

The songs are long, moody and often somewhat weird for Maiden (The Legacy, Breeg, LOL). Also, the album sounds cohesive enough for some to take it as a single long suite (The Legacy might be amazing as a standalone track, but in context it's beyond magnificent, IMHO). I guess that's where that comes from. Subjectively, I would also say it feels proggier to me than POM or Powerslave (bar the last (two) track(s), of course). But Maiden were never really prog, more like "prog-influenced" - a song here and there (SSOASS title cut, The Unbeliever) and some epics to boot and they definitely know their Yes and Genesis and whatnot, but I never considered Maiden really proggy. Not that that's a bad thing.

Also, reading some post on this forum I came to conclusion that people who like AMOLAD a lot also like Book of Souls a lot. Or vice versa - people who don't like AMOLAD don't like BoS. Or am I wrong?

AMOLAD is my No 1 album and I merely like TBOS, being seriously underwhelmed for quite some time and now liking it a lot, actually. Still, I put many other albums above it (Powerslave, TXF, TFF, maybe even SSOASS and SIT, not sure about BNW).

Judas puts it very well. Its the weird/odd feel/sound on AMOLAD, particularly LOL, Breeg and Legacy that leads to me terming it proggy. Maybe it isnt 'technically' prog but its leaning that way in overall feel and atmosphere. Moreso than most of their other stuff at any rate

I don't think that any Maiden work is prog per se, but you don't need to have odd times for your music to be progressive. How many odd time signatures does Dark Side Of The Moon have? I can think of just one.
And I like both AMOLAD and TBOS

If we take a listen to see what creators have to say, then it would be AMOLAD. No other album has been played live in eternity.

They used to joke that they could not choose which songs to play from it - I suppose that's not literally true, but if so, that would not be the mark of an awesome album - it would be the mark of an album without highlights.

ETA - I also see it as one of their LESS proggy albums precisely because of this - too consistent. Prog is a genre of contrasts.

I'm a real big fan of these latest albums.

FF is the best of them, then BOS then AMOLAD.
When AMOLAD first came out I thought it was very original and interesting.
When FF came out I though it was like AMOLAD, but a perfect version (once I trimmed off the satelite 15 and the intro to Talisman)
When BOS came out, I thought they went backwards just a little. I think without MOS, TOAC and DOG it would really be quite fantastic, and without those three songs it would still be a 76 minute album, still more than a full album, so I consider it as a full album with some extra bonus options.

Back