IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS SURVIVOR: POWERSLAVE WINS

Satisfied?

• Total voters
The Final Frontier left way to early.
The Book of Souls left way to early.
Brave New World left way to early.
Somewhere in time will be gone way to early.

^ Its almost like a chorus on AMOLAD...

But yeah this is a farce.

The Final Frontier left way to early.
The Book of Souls left way to early.
Brave New World left way to early.
Somewhere in time will be gone way to early.

^ Its almost like a chorus on AMOLAD...

Or any Iron Maiden album ever. :innocent:

Time is always on my side

Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait til another day
Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait

Impossible! It's not repetitive because it's on SIT! If these choruses were on BNW they'd be obnoxious, but on SIT they're perfect! Because SIT is flawless!

The choruses just work on SiT, but on AMOLAD they grow very tiring really quick.

The choruses just work on SiT, but on AMOLAD they grow very tiring really quick.
Well yes, I think AMOLAD is quite a unique album in the catalogue. Which for me, makes it quite an attractive jewel. The songs have less reliance on the chorus to sell it. The sound quality, I think is really quite good, where as SIT sounds pretty dated, the synth guitars was a failed experiment and Bruce's vocals sound processed too. With regards to catchy choruses, I don't think SIT stands up too well when compared to NOB or POM. There are other albums like it, but better. With AMOLAD, there aren't any others like it.

Impossible! It's not repetitive because it's on SIT! If these choruses were on BNW they'd be obnoxious, but on SIT they're perfect! Because SIT is flawless!

Bullshit. As we've discussed repetition numerous times before in relation to both CSiT and SSOASS; it's the vocal melody and the other instruments. Actually, Smith's guitar is lead on CSiT chorus, not Dickinson's vocals.

BNW chorus : a single change in a very simple vocal melody, chorus repeated 3 times in 3 minutes. CSiT; Smith's lead guitar over Dickinson's vocals which have different melody at each chorus line repetition, 2 choruses in 6 minutes.

HCW : the chorus lasts for what, 7-8 seconds? BNW is double time wise, and yet again on SiT song we have Smith texturing the chorus with different licks.

I can't understand why so many people dislike Heaven Can Wait. I mean, as you said Brave New World (the song) features a much longer chorus that repeats thrice and it's just "In a brave new world, in a brave new world" repeated over and over. And Brave New World managed to get into the top 10 one time!

I can't understand why so many people dislike Heaven Can Wait. I mean, as you said Brave New World (the song) features a much longer chorus that repeats thrice and it's just "In a brave new world, in a brave new world" repeated over and over. And Brave New World managed to get into the top 10 one time!

It's not just about the repetition. HCW also has the worst melody off SIT, is unnecessarily long, has that stupid "whoah" part (there are songs where it works with Maiden, like Wicker Man and Dream of Mirrors and there are songs where it doesn't, like here or TRATB ) plus the repetition of the chorus. BNW at least has a rather majestic melody under that repetition (though the repetition is still not good, mind ye), but the chorus of HCW just sounds tired.

That said, there are songs where I almost don't notice the repetition (Caught Somewhere in Time, Dream of Mirrors again) and where the repetition actually works in favour of the song for one reason or the other (most of AMOLAD, especially FTGGOG).

Out of the remaining albums, neither is flawless (well, no album is, really). POM can get overplayed very easily (The Trooper is cool and all, but how many more times can you hear it until you get really sick of it, I wonder - same goes for Boots, the fact these songs are so close to each other doesn't help, too) and I never understood the popularity of some of the songs (Icarus - both a bore and quite un-Maidenish track, in fact). Still Life I've learnt to love, but I have to be in the mood for it.

And, though probably fine on their own, both QFF and SAS sound like pure Maiden filler - good, but written for the sake of writing (similar to some cuts on the DOD album, for example), much more than anything off Powerslave.
Revelations, TTAL and even Eagles are completely awesome, but still - this album has to go right now.

Powerslave, though probably the most consistent along with AMOLAD, definitely suffers from the fact the bookends are so amazing. The middle songs seem worse in context and people call the album "Fillerslave", though on their own these songs are perfectly fine.

SIT is cool and all and from the guitar point of view it's actually amazing, but there are some bad aspects (HCW, the lyrics to ATG) and though it gives it a unique atmosphere, that electronic production is kind of annoying today and I have to be in a special mood to enjoy the album. Also, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the sequencing could have been better - I often find myself uncontrollably yawning around SIASL. The album definitely sounds monotonous, much more than AMOLAD (which usually gets this complaint), though less than TXF.

SS has awesome highlights (the title track, Infinite Dreams, Moonchild, even), but Evil (an overplayed, radio-metal track) and Prophecy (hard to describe, even) drag it down. OTGDY is an underwhelming closer.

AMOLAD is a tad monothematic and has Out of the Shadows on it, which is just a Wasting Love grave robbery. But it's still the best, IMHO. Different World taught me to love H (still probably the best Maiden solo, hands down), BTATS is not only the heaviest Maiden track, but catchy as 7 f*cks, when the instrumental part of TLD kicks in, I can actually cry from time to time and the Legacy is still my #2/#1 track - so different, yet so familiar. Hit after hit, the Maiden album to take to a deserted island with me.

Last edited:
Back