IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS SURVIVOR: POWERSLAVE WINS

Satisfied?

• Total voters
Wanted to keep same criteria as my previous vote but all remaining 80's album are way above X Factor and Book of Souls so I voted for just those two.
And what's with all the Dance of Death voting?! Are people really trying to save some other album or is it really "unlikeable" on this forum?

Wanted to keep same criteria as my previous vote but all remaining 80's album are way above X Factor and Book of Souls so I voted for just those two.
And what's with all the Dance of Death voting?! Are people really trying to save some other album or is it really "unlikeable" on this forum?

I think most people find the best of DOD as good as anything Maiden has written, but the worst to be among the worst songs they have ever recorded. And no album left has as many "meh" songs as Dance of Death.

The production isn't loved around here either.

It has a curious case of not-really-top-heaviness in that the 3 singles - well, the two singles plus the title song of the souvenir EP - come at the beginning, but they are firmly in the 'meh' camp.
Another problem is that the lyrics and subject of "New Frontier" spoil what to me is one of the best melodies of the album.
As for the production, it's not too bad. The mastering however is easily the worst in Maiden albums. Just imagine how much more dynamic Dance or Death or Paschendale would be if they had been mastered like AMOLAD.

I'd say the majority of the "Steve-created" or "Steve only" tracks have been going downhill since SSOASS.
I'd say since Virtual XI. Not that it keeps going downhill all the time. E.g. Blood Brothers isn't worse than The Angel and the Gambler, but still less good (imho of course!) than his solo-penned material on the No Prayer, Fear and TXF albums.

I'd say since Virtual XI. Not that it keeps going downhill all the time. E.g. Blood Brothers isn't worse than The Angel and the Gambler, but still less good (imho of course!) than his solo-penned material on the No Prayer, Fear and TXF albums.

I could agree about Virtual XI, except that I don't hold TXF very highly and find it to be one of Steve's most repetitive (at least in structure) outings.

His track record is hard to actually judge because we don't know how much he contributes to the majority of songs. As far as solo-penned material, I far prefer WTWWB, FTGGOG, No More Lies, Blood Brothers, Clansman, Sign of the Cross, AFTSS, and FOTD to Red and the Black, the rest of the NPFTD, FOTD, TXF, and VXI Steve-only songs. But that's saying nothing about the tracks to which he contributed, some good, some bad.

the rest of the NPFTD, FOTD, TXF, and VXI Steve-only songs.

Far prefer?

Let's see:
No Prayer for the Dying
The Assassin
Mother Russia
From Here to Eternity
Childhood's End
The Fugitive (which you rated pretty high!)
Fortunes of War
Judgement of Heaven
Blood on the World's Hands
The Angel and the Gambler
The Educated Fool
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

You rated The Fugutive 9.
You say that you prefer TRATB to The Fugutive (The Fugitive is one of the rest of the nineties songs).

Thus: TRATB is also rated 9, or 10. Both ratings sound a "little" high when I think of this qualification:
The Red and The Black is repetitive, overlong, and a little hamfisted.

You say that you prefer TRATB to The Fugutive (The Fugitive is one of the rest of the nineties songs).

Thus: TRATB is also rated 9, or 10. Both ratings sound a "little" high when I think of this qualification:

Extra points for complexity? :innocent:

Gotcha. I don't keep active track of all of my ratings, but yes you have proven me wrong. On my most recent analysis of TBOS I've rated TRATB an 8, so I suppose I do prefer The Fugitive.

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12: Dance of Death