IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS SURVIVOR: POWERSLAVE WINS

Satisfied?

• Total voters
X Factor is a good album but I feel it's just a taste of better things to come for the band. That more progressive/heavier direction is better refined on later albums. Same with NOTB. Great starting point but they did better after. So those get my votes. Also DoD because it's weaker than everything else.

Iron Maiden and X Factor. And it has been tough.

Once these two are out, I won't be able to play anymore until I'm needed to protect AMOLAD which is Maiden's best.... but will not win.

So you just want to vote out everything that's not Bruce and then leave the game? That's so fair...

So you just want to vote out everything that's not Bruce and then leave the game? That's so fair...

Well, I was just kidding trying to show how difficult it is for me to vote with the quality of remaining albums. But of course I'll keep on playing.

On the other hand, I'm not a Blaze or Paul hater. FOTD and NPFTD are way worse than X factor and the debut album.

Iron Maiden, Powerslave, X Factor. For some reason I always think of Powerslave as a solid, 'classic' album, then I remember I rarely listen to anything other than two tracks from it.

Totally agree. Killers is fast, aggressive and fun.
Depends if fast, aggressive and fun is what you are going for, rather than interesting, unique, and special as well as fun.
If I were into fast and aggressive, I'd probably go for Slayer and Pantera but actually, I want more from my music than the shortness of time between notes.

Steve's writing has deteriorated over the years. He still has one or two gems per record, but he's repeating himself a lot more and not breaking any new ground.
I'm not sure that there is any truth to this. Harris is regularly putting out spectactular songs, The red and the black, where the wild wind blows, no more lies.
Even though he seems to touch almost every song, he is also writing less, letting others do more these days.
As a whole I think Maiden's song writing has improved over the years. AMOLAD was fantastic, TFF was even better and Book of souls is a drop backwards from TFF but still very good.
It seems to me as Maiden reach their sunset years they are more willing to take risks, of course they are losing some fans that just want fast and short songs, but they are making thier catalogue much more interesting, much more relevant and less of a throw back to the 80's era.
I think there are two main reasons we have "metal" fans (of course there are more), but one, we like energy in our songs (fast and aggressive) and two, we like something a bit different (otherwise we would be into hard rock like ACDC more than metal), perhaps we are too easily bored of mainstream and formula stuff, and things that are so catchy that they appeal at first but then we get bored of them quickly.
Well Iron Maiden have slowed down a bit (They've never really been fast), but they do seem to try new things, try to keep the music interesting, while also being enjoyable too. How much of this is due to Harris or Dickinson or Smith or Gers, I'm not too sure. But I think Red and Black, No more lies, Starblind, Lord of light, Dance of Death, Face in the sand, blood brothers, dream of mirrors blow away most of the back catalogue.

I'm not sure that there is any truth to this. Harris is regularly putting out spectactular songs, The red and the black, where the wild wind blows, no more lies.
Even though he seems to touch almost every song, he is also writing less, letting others do more these days.
As a whole I think Maiden's song writing has improved over the years. AMOLAD was fantastic, TFF was even better and Book of souls is a drop backwards from TFF but still very good.
It seems to me as Maiden reach their sunset years they are more willing to take risks, of course they are losing some fans that just want fast and short songs, but they are making thier catalogue much more interesting, much more relevant and less of a throw back to the 80's era.
I think there are two main reasons we have "metal" fans (of course there are more), but one, we like energy in our songs (fast and aggressive) and two, we like something a bit different (otherwise we would be into hard rock like ACDC more than metal), perhaps we are too easily bored of mainstream and formula stuff, and things that are so catchy that they appeal at first but then we get bored of them quickly.
Well Iron Maiden have slowed down a bit (They've never really been fast), but they do seem to try new things, try to keep the music interesting, while also being enjoyable too. How much of this is due to Harris or Dickinson or Smith or Gers, I'm not too sure. But I think Red and Black, No more lies, Starblind, Lord of light, Dance of Death, Face in the sand, blood brothers, dream of mirrors blow away most of the back catalogue.

I love modern Maiden, but they are a band that is much more a sum of their parts now. Harris isn't running every song, he's kind of nudging them forward. I love WTWWB and No More Lies, but The Red and The Black is repetitive, overlong, and a little hamfisted. As I said, Steve still writes some brilliant songs, but I'd say the majority of the "Steve-created" or "Steve only" tracks have been going downhill since SSOASS.

I love modern Maiden, but they are a band that is much more a sum of their parts now. Harris isn't running every song, he's kind of nudging them forward. I love WTWWB and No More Lies, but The Red and The Black is repetitive, overlong, and a little hamfisted. As I said, Steve still writes some brilliant songs, but I'd say the majority of the "Steve-created" or "Steve only" tracks have been going downhill since SSOASS.
It's obviously just a matter of opinion, because I find Red and Black to be not repetitive, not overlong and not hamfisted. I think it is a great song, much better than anything on Seventh son.

I don't even understand what is meant by overlong? is there an ideal song length?

Back