Innocent Exile

How good is Innocent Exile on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

A cool bluesy strut tune, but seriously, this album has some terrible lyrics. You really couldn't write more than one verse?! Same thing goes for "Another Life"...just plain lazy.

An ok song. Bland lyrics, but it's got a decent groove. Some cool soloing and the outro. Also like the part with the marching beat of the drums riding along with the guitars. 6/10

This is one of my favorites from the Di'Anno era. That bass intro is awesome, and I love the punk feel it has. The next riff after the bass intro is repeated is a headbanger's paradise, followed by some AWESOME solos.

8/10

Just as forgettable as "Another Life" was. I agree that this album has poor lyrics in most of the songs. The guitar solo in this song saved it from a lower score. 5/10

Crazy bass intro and cool melodi which sadly leads into a boring verse. Kind of forgettable and I often mess this one up with Another Life. But a cool intro saves it from a lower score. Give this one a:

5/10

More excellent bass from Steve, but there isn't a whole lot to say about this one. It's pretty forgettable due to the lazy lyrics and lack of interesting guitar parts.

6/10

Last edited:
With the small surprise I got from Another Life, I was expecting the same from this song. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case. Some parts work, but for the most part, it's just not very captivating to me and just meanders aimlessly to the end. Pretty boring.

4/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera:
9/10
2: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
3: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
4: Wrathchild: 7/10
5: Transylvania: 7/10
6: Strange World: 6/10
7: Sanctuary: 6/10
8: Another Life: 6/10
9: Prowler: 6/10
10: Genghis Khan: 5/10
11: Iron Maiden: 5/10
12: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
13: Running Free: 4/10
14: Innocent Exile: 4/10
15: The Ides Of March: 2/10

Last edited:
I like this one a little bit better because of the chorus. Lots of bluesy and blues-rock influences here. An almost Blackmore feel to the track, but with some Dave and H in there. It's not bad, but the sound is one I would have loved to see develop more on a later album. 5/10.

4/10

Most of the tracks on Killers were lying around from Steve’s previous bands. When the first album was a success he needed something to fill out a second album and produced a bunch of material that has very little in common with the typical Maiden sound. Innocent Exile is one of those atypical songs. Paul actually sounds good here, but the track is average at best. The guitar solo tradeoff is nice, though, and H really lays into the blues.

• That part between the first couple of verses is brilliant. It's a shame that it's very ill-fitting to the rest of the song.
  • Much like Another Life, this one suffers from an awkward flow. Sounds "thrown together".
  • I like quite a few parts from this song. That aforementioned part, the bluesy riffs, the backing track on the solo section. Sadly, it becomes a showcase of how lacklustre songwriting can turn great ideas into a weak song instead of being a great song itself.
  • Don't like how the vocals fit into the mix. Think this one could work way better as an instrumental.
Strong 4/10, which is a shame because this one has the musical ideas of a 7/10 song at least.

Don't get the hate for this one. It's actually one of the best songs on the album. I wish the lyrics could have been changed up a little bit. But I find this song hard to hate.
9/10

Mixed feeling about this one, I know I liked it quite a bit when I was younger and it has some nice parts and a laid back, almost bluesy feeling to it. But these days I'm not that impressed, nothing wrong with it but nothing that special either. It works better on the live in Japan EP.
This would have made a nice b-side, but on the album I'd rather have twilight zone (I know it was added to later releases, but for this I'm listening to the original vinyls, will come back later for the extra songs)
5/10

I don't have many thoughts on this song. I think it's a groovy rocker and it's rather bluesy, mostly from the guitar licks. I can also see some tension during the harmony sections. Other than that, I don't really see more in it. 5/10.

I can find myself in a measure of agreement with the constructive criticisms above, but then I press play and think, "Oh yes, this is a good song."

7/10

The verse riff is so nice and it's a sort of a throwback to early '70s hard rock, which I happen to be a fan of. Instumental section is definetely the best 'heavy' one from Di'Anno era. 8

I think this has a cool groove. Like most of the Killers material, the greatness really lies in the instrumental work. The opening bass is awesome and the parts in between the verses are really cool. I also really like the bridge, both the groove and the vocal melody. The band seemed to be playing a lot with tempo changes and having a bit more of a "swing" feel on this album, which is really cool. They kinda grew out of that quickly so these songs are extra special because of that.

I will say though that it's not the most memorable song. It has a bit of a b-side quality to it, I could imagine the band doing this sort of song for fun later on but never putting it on an album.

Back