Iced Earth

What's the opinion of Iced Earth with the new not-Barlow singer? I haven't kept up with them too much because I lost interest after Burnt Offerings but am thinking of giving them some spins. I thought Ripper was fantasic with them but a lot of their later stuff kinda bores me compared to the "Maiden but faster" sound of their early albums like Stormrider and BO.

I really like Stu a lot. I think Plagues of Babylon and Dystopia have some great tracks, but Incorruptible is a top album for me from last year.

Stu is fine, he fits better than Ripper, Barlow is still the best IE singer BUT none of that matters because Jon Schafer’s songwriting has been shit for over 10 years.

Stu was fine, but he's been deteriorating for years now. Can't handle the mid-range stuff or the screaming.

Shame that Sanctuary already hired Joseph Michael, he would've been a good choice.

Just came back to this video.

TmnT3vT.gif

Shame that Sanctuary already hired Joseph Michael, he would've been a good choice.
I feel like this is similar to the Dream Theater situation with Mike Mangini where the result is going to be similar no matter what. If Jon Schaffer is just looking for someone to be a Barlow clone, it doesn't really matter who the singer is. Stu was a great choice but there's a lot of wasted potential.

The problem is that Stu's natural voice is nowhere near the same style as Barlow's. Whereas Joseph Michael has a deeper voice much closer to Barlow's.

To whom it may concern:

Diesel has listened to every studio Iced Earth album and the live album
Alive In Athens. His thoughts on the band are, surprisingly, incredibly positive, certainly compared to those he posted on this forum over the summer. He also wishes to formally apologize for slagging Mr. Matthew Barlow, who he called "not very good." Barlow is, in fact, very good. Diesel has, yet again, made an ass of himself.

Sincerely,

Diesel & Partner Co.

To whom it may concern:

Diesel has listened to every studio Iced Earth album and the live album Alive In Athens. His thoughts on the band are, surprisingly, incredibly positive, certainly compared to those he posted on this forum over the summer. He also wishes to formally apologize for slagging Mr. Matthew Barlow, who he called "not very good." Barlow is, in fact, very good. Diesel has, yet again, made an ass of himself.

Sincerely,

Diesel & Partner Co.

Too late, you'll forever be marked as "Barlow hater".
“The mark is on you now!”

For anyone interested:

The tracklisting has been altered btw:
Vinyl 1:
  1. Burning Times
  2. Vengeance Is Mine
  3. Pure Evil
  4. My Own Savior
  5. Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
  6. Dante's Inferno
Vinyl 2:
  1. The Hunter
  2. Travel In Stygian
  3. Colors
  4. Diary
  5. Blessed Are You
  6. Violate
Vinyl 3:
  1. Dark Saga
  2. The Last Laugh
  3. Last December
  4. Watching Over Me
  5. Angels Holocaust
  6. Stormrider
  7. The Path I Choose
  8. I Died For You
Vinyl 4:
  1. Prophecy
  2. Birth Of The Wicked
  3. The Coming Curse
  4. Stand Alone
  5. Cast In Stone
  6. Desert Rain
Vinyl 5:
  1. Brainwashed
  2. Disciples Of The Lie
  3. When The Night Falls
  4. Slave To The Dark
  5. A Question Of Heaven
  6. Iced Earth

Looks awesome, wish I had the money for it.

Back