Iced Earth

A full-length version of the new ICED EARTH song "The Setian Massacre" has been posted on the group's MySpace page.

http://myspace.com/icedearth

I'm not that impressed by this track. A lot of repetition. The single I like better. I haven't heard anything else yet. :)

Most Metal videos... close to 98% of them are very cheesy and cheap, but every so often there is one that is quite the masterpiece (Metallica's One, for one)

Onhell said:
Most Metal videos... close to 98% of them are very cheesy and cheap, but every so often there is one that is quite the masterpiece (Metallica's One, for one)

I really wouldn't call it a masterpiece.  It works well, because it's simple.  The voice-overs in certain versions of the video get annoying, though.

Raven said:
I really wouldn't call it a masterpiece.  It works well, because it's simple.  The voice-overs in certain versions of the video get annoying, though.

True, but this brings up the question, what do you (or anyone else, not just Raven) consider a metal masterpiece video?

Onhell said:
True, but this brings up the question, what do you (or anyone else, not just Raven) consider a metal masterpiece video?

Good question. I'm actually with you when it comes to One. Other than that, it's hard to find good videos in the Heavy Metal world... depending on how you define it, anyway. Would you call Hammer To Fall by Queen Heavy Metal? In any case, that's a band with some really good clips.

I know it's getting more off-topic, but I'm curious what makes this video cool for you guys? There must be more videos with such ingredients?

I especially remember the black and white images, the close-ups of the double bass drum pedals, and basically the good edit-job. But perhaps the music itself helped a lot as well(?)

Forostar said:
I know it's getting more off-topic, but I'm curious what makes this video cool for you guys? There must be more videos with such ingredients?

I especially remember the black and white images, the close-ups of the double bass drum pedals, and basically the good edit-job. But perhaps the music itself helped a lot as well(?)

Like I said, it's simple, yet effective.  Too many band videos are way too over-the-top, trying to throw in the kitchen sink in an attempt to get good airplay on MTV.  With their budgets, they mostly end up appearing cliched and overdone.  The very fact that the majority of the footage for 'One' is just the band playing in a warehouse focusses your attention on the little details, rather than overloading you with images.

As for other good metal videos...let me think.

Dark Tranquillity's 'Monochromatic Stains' has a good effect, with the entire video themed in black and white, and  based on some film or another...quite unnerving (the band aren't in it).  'Lost to Apathy' takes the 'band playing in a warehouse' idea and adds in some nice effects, but it's a bit too basic.

Ah, yes.  Motorhead.  Killed By Death has a great plot...

-Chick comes out into her parent's living room, dressed in leopardskin trousers
-Dad berates her, then hears something, and turns to the wall
-Lemmy crashes through the wall on a motorbike
-Lemmy gets chased by police
-Lemmy gets beaten
-Lemmy gets shot
-Lemmy gets the electric chair treatment
-Lemmy bursts out of the grave on a motorbike :p

Also, the video for 'Sacrifice' is fairly metal.  'Volker, sing us the song of Death!  We are prepared!'

Slayer's 'War Ensemble' works well in the same way 'One' does...B&W picture of the band playing.  'Seasons In The Abyss' is excellent, as well, as it just has the band in front of the Pyramids.

Other than that, most metal vids I've seen are either really overdone, really reliant on CGI, or some obscure and completely ridiculous storyline.

In nine out of ten cases, it's just a cool performance. I like performance videos. If they're done in a good way, it's cool. Check out Queen's "I Want It All" to see what I mean.

The black and white makes it "serious", the movie scenes are relevant (to the song), good editing and of course amazing song hehe. I actually rarely like performance videos, to be honest I like storyline videos like Michael Jackson's (which were mini-movies really). I don't like it when the video has nothing to do with the song (saw one by a mexican artist today, nice video but nothing to do with the lyrics, just confusing really). Apocalyptica has some GREAT videos. both versions for Path, with vocals by Sandra Nasic, and the instrumental version are great videos. I like the instrumental one better when they duel their shadows... interesting concept :D

(back to Iced Earth discussions)

Does anyone else think their sleeve to The Reckoning EP is just... I dunno... just a tad bit inspired by "The Trooper"?

I've always liked how Mr. Schaffer has never been afraid of showing just what a big Maiden fanboy he really is.

Number_Six said:
(back to Iced Earth discussions)

Does anyone else think their sleeve to The Reckoning EP is just... I dunno... just a tad bit inspired by "The Trooper"?

I've always liked how Mr. Schaffer has never been afraid of showing just what a big Maiden fanboy he really is.

This has been discussed before, the thread is probably still out there somewhere, but yeah, rip off is more llike it. Not to mention this whole "aliens arrive in Egypt and slaughter humans" is very Stargate rip off as well.

Or Powerslave, perhaps?  :p

Anyway, I'm quite anticipated by this new album.  I've heard Ten Thousand strong and The Setian Massacre, and love them both, especially Ten Thousand Strong.  I loved The Glorious Burden, and I think I'll love Framing Armageddon too  :)

It's clearly a tribute to Iron Maiden. Of course it's inspired, and this cover probably functions as a nostalgic reference.

Iron Maiden was one the biggest inspirations for Schaffer, and I also think that he is a great admirer of the "Steve Harris attitude": "If you don't like the way we do things, well, just fuck off". Schaffer doesn't give up as easily, like 'Arry, no matter what people think or say.

More IM relations:

-Schaffer played "The Trooper" live with Demons & Wizards
-IE added a "The Trooper" ending to "Violate", which you can check on Alive in Athens
-IE covered and played live "Transylvania"
-IE covered "The Number Of The Beast"
-IE covered "Hallowed Be Thy Name"

It might be fair to know what a band has done, before mentioning the words "rip off".

Besides, it'd be pretty stupid to rip-off the most famous artwork in the history of Heavy Metal and think you'd get away with it. It's obviously a tribute.

I finally got Framing Armageddon, and after a few good listens, I have to say this:

Bloody hell, it's actually good!

You think so?  I have downloaded it first just to see whether it's worth buying.  I haven't given it a good listen yet,  but I find it a bit disappointing.

Well, the first time I listened to it (I downloaded the promo), I thought it was really disappointing as well, but having it there on my Hifi, on CD, without Schaffer's blabber and more concentration, I thought it was grand.
I'm really looking forward to the gig on the 19th in Berlin (bought my ticket today), especially since the support act has been changed from Dark Tranquility to... ANNIHILATOR!  :yey:

Back