Iced Earth

Forostar said:
Right, that made sense.

Raven explained it pretty good.

Forostar said:
Is it really the way they changed things or that they changed things? I tend to believe the latter.
How come people can't stand new ideas on this "so called" open minded, intellectual forum?
What annoys is the way they changed.  I like new ideas,  but this just wasn't good.  And in case you didn't know,  I started listening to Iced Earth because of Ripper.  I think he's got a magnificent voice (at times though,  as Raven said,  it is kinda soulless).  I didn't even like Barlow at first (although that has changed in the past few months).  I was open minded when listening to Overture of the Wicked because I think IE have great potential with Ripper.  But until now,  only Ripper seems to do a good job.  The rest sounds mediocre,  like GB was (imo of course).

Forostar said:
Is it really the way they changed things or that they changed things? I tend to believe the latter.
How come people can't stand new ideas on this "so called" open minded, intellectual forum?

Just because something is new doesn't mean it's automatically good or better....

Apparently, this thread requires some moderator attention.

We're having a very hearty disagreement here between two sides that don't really feel like giving up their position. That's good, arguments can be fun, enlightening and healthy. It turns ugly, however, when we get to points like this:

And if I'm not being 'open-minded' or 'intellectual' enough for you, fuck you.  I'm sick and tired of your superior attitude; I don't like alcohol, green beans, and cars, or am I being close-minded again?

Forostar has every right to be offended (which he is, as he told me). Raven, the post you answered to was indeed not directed at you. It's okay if you answer to it anyway (this is why it's a public forum, not a PM debate- anyone can read and answer to anything), but if you do, please realize that if a post was obviously not directed at you (and it wasn't, as the two Sneaky quotes obviously showed), you have neither the right to take offense (unless there is an obvious reason for it), nor the right to insult the one you are replying to (which you never have). If you would have made your post without the last two lines, it would have been fine enough.
My initial request (not advice, request) is to take it easy. That goes to everybody. If you read a post you feel offended by, go away, have a cup of tea and read it again after a while. Remember, it's just a message board. If you feel the urge to reply immediately, click on "reply", write something and then close the window without posting. Afterwards, you won't feel like writing all this again, and you might approach it in a more relaxed way.

To get to the legal side of things, I'd like to stress that personal insults against other board members are not allowed, so technically, Raven violated a forum rule. Since I know that Raven is usually different and is usually a very pleasant, polite and productive poster, I'm going to leave it at this informal warning. Please be more considerate in the future.

I would like to point out again that this post is not only directed at Raven. Some other members have been making rather emotional posts on this thread as well, so let me say it again:

Take it easy.

I like the new album, it is pretty good, similar to Horror Show in terms of quality.  But some of the ideas do annoy me, like the layered choruses and some of the interludes.  I feel it's lacking in the riff oriented songs; it's definitely no NOTS.  I think there should be more songs like Ten Thousand Strong, and that the interludes be tacked onto the end or start of songs as opposed to random noises in between.  And really, what happened to Something Wicked Part 2?

Btw, has anyone seen the video for Ten Thousand Strong?  I almost cried.

I think I understand why you say that, Foro, but I think I also understand why they did it the way they did.  Hard to do "good" CG/animation with a low budget these days, so I guess they felt they needed to mask the whole video with a hint of a cheesy filter.

Jon Schaffer needs a shave and a haircut.  I mean, I'm all for metal as much as the next bloke, but that little Three Musketeers thing he's got...it's gotta go.

If anyone is really desperate to hear the new songs without voice overs there are two I found on the net. I'm still reserving judgment on Framing Armageddon until it comes out officially (or if there is a decent leak  :p )

The low budget is probably the reason. Somehow I don't quite understand they had a low budget. I am curious to read Schaffer's own opinion on it, these days! :)

About his haircut, uhm well, he gets grey, yeah! But I don't mind, at least he keeps 100% real! ;)

He just looks so...wimpy with that moustache and the perfectly wavy hair!  lol.  And well, I can understand why they had a low budget - they're an American Metal Band.  That video isn't going to see the light of day...

They (Schaffer) wanted it to look like a comic book. It looks like that. Like a cheap, crappy one, that is.

A mate of mine said they used the "cellshade" technique. The backgrounds aren't that bad, it's especially the characters.

That vid reminded me of a film trailer I saw some time ago.  I think "A Scanner Darkly" it was called?  Am I the only one who thought this?

Forostar said:
A mate of mine said they used the "cellshade" technique. The backgrounds aren't that bad, it's especially the characters.

It is, indeed, cel-shading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-shading

However, it doesn't look naturalistic enough, with regards to the characters.  The settings gain from the effect, but the people look too simple.  The interspersed band shots tend to confuse the issue, as well...it's hard to make out whatever story Schaffer is trying to tell, when he pops up every three shots out of five.

Yeah, is it just me, or is there more Schaffer than Ripper?  And what's with that giant leather trenchcoat?

(Sorry.  I rip on the way Schaffer looks a lot because it's like a giant parody of all things metal.)

Well, the video was pretty painful to watch. Even if it was on a low budget, they could have shot it way better than that. I agree with Raven, You can't make out much of the story.
And @ LooseCannon, I also got the distinct impression that there was much more of Schaffer than of Ripper.

Well,  the video clip was bad,  but that's the case for most heavy metal video clips.  They suck big time.  Rarely can you get what's going on now,  can you?

Raven said:
it's hard to make out whatever story Schaffer is trying to tell, when he pops up every three shots out of five.

Ancient Egypt. Aliens show up. They invade and kill everybody.

Seriously, can it get any more simple? It could well be they started out making a video showing only this, but noticed it'd make up only about half a minute, so they needed to fill the rest of the it.

Perun said:
Ancient Egypt. Aliens show up. They invade and kill everybody.

I gathered that bit :p, I was commenting on the fact that the video doesn't really go any deeper than that.  This from Arathos the grey, who harps on about Set Abominae any way he can;

'Comic book! Album! Story! Interludes! Something Wicked! Lunchboxes!...oh, and that video?  Just some things with aliens killing Egyptians...'

I can't comment on the Schaffer vs. Owens appearances.  I watched the video after reading this thread, so I might have been prejudiced either way when watching the video; but I thought they were pretty much equal.  Good song, though.  I'd like to get this new album, but it's hard enough finding Iced Earth anyway here...

Back