Iced Earth

That would definitely be awesome.

So I'm thinking about trying to catch this tour after all. I have a bunch of friends going and I don't want to regret missing out. Although we're all more interested in seeing Sabaton. :p It depends on the setlist a lot too though. I'm not sure I want to sit through the current setlist.

That would definitely be awesome.

So I'm thinking about trying to catch this tour after all. I have a bunch of friends going and I don't want to regret missing out. Although we're all more interested in seeing Sabaton. :p It depends on the setlist a lot too though. I'm not sure I want to sit through the current setlist.

I'm definitely going for Sabaton. ReVamp should be cool, and Iced Earth...well, I've seen them with the last two singers, why not this one.

Do you mean the Sabaton setlist or the IE setlist?

I mean the IE setlist. I haven't seen Sabaton's set (have they even started touring yet?) but I'm less picky with them anyway.

I think it's great that they're standing by their new material by playing so much of it, but unfortunately that makes me lose interest in seeing them when I don't care for the new stuff.

Cool, though not really a great vocal performance. It was probably the song with which Stu struggled the most when I saw them live.

Well, that illustrates that we could use a new Demons & Wizards album.

Finally listened to Plagues of Bablyon and...well, it's as mediocre and meh as I expected it to be. Cthulhu and The End? are pretty great, title track is decent, everything else is just a huge let down.

Some of the songs on Dystopia grew on me after a few listens, hopefully these do, too.

Just saw IE in Chicago. Although I could have done without all of the new material (save for one or two), the setlist had some wonderful surprises.

Stu sounded absolutely incredible. As far as singers go, he's the best choice for the band if they can't have Matt Barlow. The only older song that he didn't sound great on was Watching Over Me, his voice just came out very hollow on that song. His wails throughout the show were stellar.

I was still way more excited to see the incredibly entertaining Sabaton (and Revamp), but Iced Earth killed it like always.

Been awhile since I heard the album, but I remember The Culling being one of the few songs I liked. It wasn't great, but it stood out to me compared to the rest of the album.

Thanks to @Dityn DJ James I have started to explore the music by Manilla Road. After the third song I really thought that Jon Schaffer must have heard them.
Really, for a long while I thought that that typical combination of rhythm guitars and drum rhythms gave Iced Earth their "own" style, but check this out:
(this stuff could just have landed on Night of the Stormrider, but it is actually from 1987).

Last edited:
To be honest, Iced Earth went downhill when they sacked Ripper (and this is not an issue with whom is holding the vocal mic). All the albums after Framing Armageddon were lukewarm when it came to songwriting and to me sound uninspired. Dystopia shows promise, but just doesn't go all the way.

Nah, they were already going downhill by then. :p FA and TGB are pretty bad.

Songwriting-wise, I think FA was light years better than TGB, which was literally a complete album of filler except for the Gettysburg trilogy. Unfortunately, FA is also covered with filler in the form of intros, instrumentals, sound effects, and other garbage. Also, the production is horrendous. But the songs from FA are better than most of Crucible and anything after that.

I can agree with that. FA has some good songs but they're all buried in lame concept album stuff. Crucible only has 2 songs I like. However, I think Gettysburg alone keeps TGB above FA. Declaration Day is a cool song too.

Back