Iced Earth

I had my first experience with Iced Earth over a week ago. I listened to some individual songs and Night of the Stormrider as it had the highest rating (89%)on metal-archives.com. Wasn't bad but didn't find the pearl in them either, I felt that the songs are too similar and couldn't keep me very interested. Need to check them out more and blast that Alive in Athens thingy as well.

Yea, Iced Earth are a pretty formulaic band. Definitely check out AiA, all the Stormrider songs on there are far superior to the original recordings. IMO

I had my first experience with Iced Earth over a week ago. I listened to some individual songs and Night of the Stormrider as it had the highest rating (89%)on metal-archives.com. Wasn't bad but didn't find the pearl in them either, I felt that the songs are too similar and couldn't keep me very interested. Need to check them out more and blast that Alive in Athens thingy as well.

Stormrider is alright and has good songs, but as @Mosh said, definitely go for Alive in Athens. It gives you a great overview of the band with their best singer in an unforgettable performance. I also highly recommend Horror Show.

Yep, Horror Show is my favorite and was recorded after AiA, so you'll want that too. With those two albums, you'll have pretty much everything you need by IE and you'll know if you like them enough to try more.

Schaffer said in an interview that first 6 songs from Plagues are conceptual - about zombie apocalypse :edmetal:

1452184_598159760245654_1303477280_n.jpg

Sabaton is probably the most popular power metal band in Europe at the moment. I can't think of any other power metal band that can compete with them, except maybe Blind Guardian. But they are only just starting to gain some popularity in USA.

Blind Guardian are under the radar too much. Sabaton have played to 500,000 people. They are just two steps away from being the biggest thing in hard 'n' heavy music. In Europe.

Yeah, but Wacken no longer really sets the standards for heavy metal. Obviously, Rammstein dwarved everything, and Alice Cooper is arguably bigger than Sabaton. All the other good slots were booked for Motörhead, Doro and Grave Digger. The latter two can't really hold a candle to Sabaton anymore, but Wacken will always give them the good slots.

I have just started getting into Sabaton, and am mostly weary of Iced Earth. By May, if the new album is decent, I'll probably make it to that Tempe date. Also, Floor!

Really? Iced Earth is still bigger than Sabaton?
Last time Sabaton came to Denver as a headline act, it was in a small BBQ joint that happened to have a small stage inside. They're virtually unknown out here.

I enjoyed IE last time so I'll think about going if I have time/money. I'm actually more interested in seeing Sabaton though.

Back