Iced Earth

I don't "like" stuff like that. I always thought begging for likes was pretty pathetic.

So, I finally got around to listening to Dystopia. Some of the songwriting ideas sound interesting, and I guess they will sound pretty good live, but overall, it's an overproduced mess. Much of the album is an incredible bore with zero surprises and little that I actually remember. Well, except for those long choruses that get repeated infinitely, or so it seemed. As for Stu Block, those who say that he's doing something different or things like that, who are you kidding? :huh: I agree that he doesn't sound like Barlow, but that's not for lack of trying. He is attemptig to imitate Barlow virtually on every breath, except when he starts shrieking... and then he sounds like Tim fucking Owens. Jesus H, I had hoped we'd gotten over that. There was one song, one of the ballads, when you could actually hear Block himself so to speak, and I couldn't think of a more uncharismatic voice. Absolutely no power of his own, no character, it's no surprise he does the Barlow whenever he can. As for the the album in general, it really did seem to have a few intriguing ideas here and there, but in general, I'd say it's the very definition of mediocrity. I didn't hear an ounce of passion in the playing, no moment that stuck out, no hookline that grabbed me, nothing at all. The riff monsters of old have turned into numb shredding, the epic high points are now layers of overproduction, and mass-produced television sentimentality has taken the place of heartfelt ballads.
Take this what it is, the bitter rant of some random guy on the internet, but at least know that my interest for this band is dead and buried.

That is pretty much exactly how I feel about Dystopia/Stu. That said, I'm still excited to see IE live, and I'm glad they aren't playing too much from Dystopia.

Love to read that review because it was very recognizable.

@NightProwler: I must admit that I am not planning to hear that album soon. From the samples I drew the same conclusion and when I read Perun's review I kept nodding. I does not stimulate me to check it out.
I am not saying my interest for IE is dead yet (it is in a coma) but they certainly need to be more original, especially the singer.

Live, it's a different matter. Their current setlist is fantastic so it's not that I never want to see them again.

Just got back from an awesome Iced Earth show :edmetal:

Every band was on top form (I thought SX played the best actually) and Iced Earth played a good amount of songs from the new album, but most of it was older stuff.
The highlights of the IE concert were Dante's Inferno and Damien. Those songs were amazing live!

Just got back from an awesome Iced Earth show :edmetal:

Every band was on top form (I thought SX played the best actually) and Iced Earth played a good amount of songs from the new album, but most of it was older stuff.
The highlights of the IE concert were Dante's Inferno and Damien. Those songs were amazing live!
I am so gutted that the Iced Earth and Symphony X tour is North America only. They are two of my favourite bands and I would love to see them both at the same show. I've only seen Symphony X once back in 2007 supporting Dream Theater but they got a really short set and the sound was poor. :(

I agree about your highlights Mosh! Those songs are among my favourites by Iced Earth and were stunning in Birmingham in November. :D

Ok, I'm not familiar with this band but I've read on numerous occasions how they are somewhat similar to Iron Maiden. If I was to pick up an album, where is the best place to start?

THE DARK SAGA :edmetal:
2. Night Of The Stormrider
3. Horror Show
4. Something Wicked This Way Comes
5. Burnt Offerings

They made various strong albums. Their second, Night of the Storm Rider is a great beginning if you ask me. And perhaps the most Maidenish. I'd say it's a combo of the riffs inspired by Metallica/Slayer on one hand; and the dynamics, tempo- and rhythm changes, energy and melodic feel inspired by Maiden on the other hand. But it wasn't my first. I started with Alive in Athens, a fantastic live album with lots of songs and a fine production. So there are various ways. E.g. Burnt Offerings shows a darker (even doomy at times), more angry side of the band. Very atmospheric record with Iced Earth's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner": Dante's Inferno.

What will be the Path that you choose?

PUREEVIL.jpg

Last edited:
One week today I get to see Iced Earth again. They are playing in a tiny venue in Glasgow before the play at Bloodstock festival in Derbyshire on Friday.

I am thinking of going to this tour as well. The new guy's approach to the vocals is unoriginal, but this is a chance to see Dante's Inferno.

A week ago I played the whole Alive in Athens album in my car and it was quite a ride! Best live album since Live After Death.

Originality when replacing somebody is totally overrated. Hell, if he was doing anything out of the ordinary people would complain about that. I'm very happy with Stu.

And Athens is nothing short of amazing. I wish it had been recorded during the Horror Show tour though, so that we could have Dracula and Jack too.

It's not just the originality. I hear that he copies the previous two guys on purpose. Now this is an achievement but I rather see a singer having an own sound, or at least trying to have one.

Back