Iced Earth

I was watching this video about separating the art from the artist and while it's about Kanye West, the entire time I thought about Iced Earth. There are other bands that came to mind, but, like the youtuber, I agree that it is possible to separate the art from the artist.... except when it comes to some special, rare, cases... like West and... well... IE.

For me it comes down to one simple thought: Does the artist benefit (financially) from me consuming their art?

HP Lovecraft has problematic works but has been dead for almost 90 years.
Purchasing (or streaming) Ye or Iced Earth albums supports them financially.

I believe everyone has to decide for themselves where they want to draw the line. If you want to listen to your old copies of Alive In Athens go ahead, it's one of the best live albums in metal history. Personally I won't buy any new releases (like the recent Plagues Of Babylon live album that released last year or the year before) but I also don't listen to the old stuff anymore because my disappointment with Jon's actions as well as my connection to Iced Earth's music run too deep and I can't get over that.

Last edited:
So, if it's just a sentencing who cares if his "main" attorney isn't present? Anyone on his legal team can be there. Also, if it is just a senencing does it matter when it is? Kind of a nothing burger here.

Is he out of custody until sentencing? That might make a difference. Also I assume he would want the main attorney to successfully argue a lighter sentence.

Is he out of custody until sentencing? That might make a difference. Also I assume he would want the main attorney to successfully argue a lighter sentence.
Again, anyone on his legal team can do that.
Judge: "you get 20 years."
Attorny, "Your honor, if it pleases the court, we move for a lighter sentence as our client is an extremely important member of the heavy metal community."
J: Oh yeah?
A: yeah
J: what band?
A: Iced Earth
J: you're right... 50 years.

Back