How many of you are actually musicians?

wsoul1 said:
Maybe Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider...   :lol:
Ha ha, people often think that's where the name comes from because when the type our name into YouTube that is what comes up first, we think the name makes us sound too aggressive and punky for a pub covers band and it does put people off from time to time so we're gonna try come up with an alternative

I'm a drummer, but I can play guitar and bass aswell.
I'm doing music at college atm, and already have qualifications in Music Tech  :bigsmile:

I play guitar for 15 years, but I wouldn't call myself a pro musician, at least, as I don't make a living out of it, but it's a god's gift and that's what matters in the first place.

I just realized last night: sometime this month marks my 30-year anniversary as a musician.

All 4th-graders in my school were required to learn recorder. That was September 1980, at age nine.

Though I started with recorder, I was learning piano within weeks (October at the latest).

And the rest...
Drums: snare drum and xylophone for school band at age 10 (1981), full drum kit at age 16 (1987)
Guitar: age 14 (1985)
Electric bass: age 15 (1986)
Upright bass (including bowed): age 18 (1989)

Hmmm... let's see... I play the guitar primarily, but can also play and come up with basic basslines. I can play basic piano also and I can program drums on my laptop. I've done amateur recording using my gear. Not mic'ed though. Since I live in a condo, I have to do it DI'ed.

I'm not highly skilled or technical at all with any of my instruments, so I try my best to make my compositions interesting using dynamics and layering of melodies on top of each other.

I usually do post-rock music.

@SMX, have you ever had your music as primary source of income?
I mean, a multi-instrumentalist of your knowledge and skill could at least be selling some background tracks, etc.

I started with acoustic guitar as a young kid, somewhere in the beginning of '90s. Learned basic chords, they've sent me to music school, i ran away after a month because, normally, tutors taught some basic folk songs and some classical basics in the beginning. I wasn't interested in that kind of music. My older cousin gave me this smaller-scale acoustic guitar because i was seen jumping with a broom on G'n'R's Paradise City. So they told me, i can't really remember that particular moment. Now i wish i pursued that music school. Few years after, i started doing keyboards. I was really into it, now i can't remember a damn thing (my keyboard playing is nowadays limited to chord-by-chord MIDI recording for backgrounds, not "realtime" playing). But back then i could do some prominent domestic pop-rock songs with both leads and chords. Somewhere near mid junior high i bought a normal acoustic guitar, and then bought some really bad "custom" electric. Actually that guitar was crafted by my school colleague for state competition in technical class. Cheap wood, no acoustics, amateur mounted frets, and one humbucker which was cheapest replacement 'bucker at the time.

In the first grade of high school, i got Ibanez RG. A very nice guitar that i play today.

Throughout high school i played in a number of bands, had a couple of live performances in front of a dozen people. Learned basics of drumming. We'd all wait for the drummer to go to cigarette break so we can hit some drums. Haven't really found a band which suited me. At beginning of college there was a nice line-up with some potentially good songs. But went down because of musical differences.

So i got myself some gear, and started learning computer based recording and production. As a kid i've messed with MIDI and trackers in DOS, so i had a really fast learning curve.
But due to lack of time i never committed myself to doing something properly. Normally i lay out a really nice background track, and when it comes to guitar recording, i lose my temper while trying to get a good guitar sound on the recording (i don't have means to record acoustically, nor do i have a studio-grade processor), get frustrated and off it goes :D

My gear consists of customized Ibanez RG (black kauri wood, Schaller mechanics, DiMarzio SD/PAF Pro), BOSS Super Distortion, Gallien Krueger 250RL (no box, i'm hunting some 2x12 used on local market right now), crappy Casio synth that i use as MIDI controller, Digitech Genesis II processor, some ancient HAMA mixboard, DAW based on E-MU systems DSP, and Atari 1040STe. I also have Jackson Dinky and Roland Micro Cube which i gave to my younger brother as a gift, because he started playing guitar.

I need to buy that damned box, a good microphone / preamp, 2 channel firewire mixer, and a stripe/fader/pot based MIDI controller so i can control my DAW in real-time. Those crappy drawn automation tracks really annoy me. Not that big of an overall investment, but then i'll really have decent means of pouring my ideas into the computer. However, music being one of the hobbies, i always seem to have either lack of time or money to pursue it properly.

There you go, a standard story from an average hobbyist musician. I'll check my archive and see if there's any material worth posting.
Oh, and there's my name on one of the records in shops. A band of a friend, they didn't have money to record drums in studio, so i wrote out MIDI scores based on their demos. Damn their drummer, he really had an awkward style.

I'm not technically a musician but a song writer. I have over 60 recording with multiple artists world wide. The parts I write are written for guitar, but derived from piano. I find it easier to write from piano, then translate it over. I also write almost all lyrics. If anybody is interested in hearing any of my work, pm me and I will send you a sampler.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I just realized last night: sometime this month marks my 30-year anniversary as a musician.

All 4th-graders in my school were required to learn recorder. That was September 1980, at age nine.

Though I started with recorder, I was learning piano within weeks (October at the latest).

And the rest...
Drums: snare drum and xylophone for school band at age 10 (1981), full drum kit at age 16 (1987)
Guitar: age 14 (1985)
Electric bass: age 15 (1986)
Upright bass (including bowed): age 18 (1989)

Forcing the recorder on school pupils must be some kind of evil conspiracy against teachers. I mean, it's bad enough being the half-hearted 9-year old trying to learn it - imagine being the poor bastard having to listen to 25 of them.

The recorder is a good example of an instrument that can sound good, but sounds really terrible in the wrong hands. Like the violin ... a great violinist is a pleasure to listen to. An untrained violinist would classify as a terror weapon.

Im the drummer for my band forsythe. I write lyrics and sing harmony on album and live too.
www.myspace.com/forsythe    is our website. I would recommend checking out......
Rise in victory(actually switch off lead vocals with my bro who is the lead singer in the clean part)
Heart of steel
Save you
Drift(drum intro!)
Also we are going to be looking for a new lead singer and or guitarist. My brother and his wife are having TRIPLETS!!! so he will unfortunately be leaving the band, so if anyone interested is living in the Tallahassee Florida area send us a message!

I play guitar in an amateur band with my friends. We have three guitarists just like Maiden, and it's good  :yey: Other two guitarists are girls it's good to play with rocker girls lol. They're better than me :( :D We're covering Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal bands, especially Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth.

ghost of winter said:
I play drums, guitar, bass and sing. Have been in bands since i was 14.
Sounds like the opening to a pop/hip hop song or something like that.

Back