Historical Figures 20 Questions v2

That makes me think he was more known for being something else other than an author... so the question would be: was he predominantly known as an author?

That makes me think he was more known for being something else other than an author... so the question would be: was he predominantly known as an author?
11. No, he was not predominantly known (to the world) as an author...
(You can blame Foro for leading you down that garden path! :p)

Last edited:
Maybe his authored works were of a different nature;

Was it a scientist?
12. No, he was not a Scientist.
Cried, although saying that he is a man, you several times employed they. Important or casual ?
He said he, since the gender is known (last post, previous page).
Just referred to him as "person" & "they" until someone asked me what gender the person was, harrisdevot. I can use "he" now as the gender has been established. Nothing more complicated than that. I'll not count that as a question.

Last edited:
The SMX analysis:

3. No, this person was not "from" North America...

No one has wondered why "from" is in quotes like that?

we can conclude the person was from Australia

That seems likely but not yet confirmed. Are we assuming "Asia" includes the Middle East?

7. No, this person was not from Latin America; which is a linguistically defined set of countries, btw...

So here's what is ruled out:
550px-Latin_America_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

2. Yes, this person authored works in the written form...

That's very broad, and I'm not sure it's worth pursuing. Cried never said the works were published, or that the written form is the only form. For all we know the "authored works" could be INXS song lyrics by Michael Hutchence.

No one has wondered why "from" is in quotes like that?
There actually isn't any significance in this case. I'm just meaning: if you ask where someone is from, are you asking if they were born there? To me, these aren't the same question.
That seems likely but not yet confirmed. Are we assuming "Asia" includes the Middle East?
It depends what part (e.g. what country) of the Middle East you're talking about. We seem to be occassionally mixing continents with regions. You tell me what Asia you're referring to & I'll re-answer the question! :p
That's very broad, and I'm not sure it's worth pursuing. Cried never said the works were published, or that the written form is the only form.
Later on I mentioned that I didn't think he'd written any fiction, certainly not that was published; the implication being that the other "works" I said were authored were published. By mentioning "written form" I was just trying to show how I was answering the question. When I think "author" I think the written word e.g. books.

It depends what part (e.g. what country) of the Middle East you're talking about. We seem to be occassionally mixing continents with regions. You tell me what Asia you're referring to & I'll re-answer the question! :p

As I didn't specify more, I thought it was obvious that I was referring to Asia in its most general definition, e.g. the Eurasian continent minus Europe, the border being defined by the Ural mountains, the Caspian Sea, the Caucasus and the Black Sea.

Do I seriously need to post maps of what the continents are?
I don't know, why don't you ask SMX; it was he who asked whether the Middle East was part of Asia. What happens if the guy was from Egypt, Russia, or Turkey? What if he was from a South American country that doesn't speak a Romance language. These are perfectly acceptable points to split hairs over! :p

Either way, none of this has anything to do with the guy I'm thinking of. But, yeh, post some maps if you want.

why don't you ask SMX; it was he who asked whether the Middle East was part of Asia.

Actually, what I asked was:

Are we assuming "Asia" includes the Middle East?

and my point was not about the Middle East, but about our assumptions. Dr.EW went straight to:

we can conclude the person was from Australia

and I merely meant to point out this conclusion could still be wrong.

What happens if the guy was from Egypt, Russia, or Turkey?

Then you would have to decide whether to count him as African, European or Asian, and we would have to guess based on your answers :D

Seeing as we have ruled out all continents which share countries, this is a huge side track. Unless you have given us Stalin and decided Georgia is neither Europe nor Asia.

Was the person in question from Australia?

Back