Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

The songs Willcock claims to have written are Prowler, Charlotte the Harlot, Phantom of the Opera, Iron Maiden and Prodigal Son which were released by the group on their first two records 1980-81.
There's nothing new here I guess - these were widely suspected to have been written, at least in part, by former members.

Wilson-Slesser says he co-wrote lyrics to a 1974 song called A Rainbow's Gold lifted by Maiden for their 1982 anthem Hallowed Be Thy Name.
This is new - why didn't he say anything when the previous case was put forward?

An Iron Maiden spokesperson said: “This is outrageous. Absolutely ridiculous.”
I'm sure there was more to the response than this.

Last edited:
Also this is the peak of Sun's journalism:

"Wilson-Slesser says he co-wrote lyrics to a 1974 song called A Rainbow's Gold lifted by Maiden for their 1982 anthem Hallowed Be Thy Name..."

Rainbow's gold has nothing to do with Hallowed.

Also this is the peak of Sun's journalism:

"Wilson-Slesser says he co-wrote lyrics to a 1974 song called A Rainbow's Gold lifted by Maiden for their 1982 anthem Hallowed Be Thy Name..."

Rainbow's gold has nothing to do with Hallowed.

Rainbow's Gold has the following line:

And your bird she's singing
Catch your soul, he's willing to fly away

Wow, 'Iron Maiden' is in this lawsuit. This case could be the best thing to ever happen. We might never see 'Iron Maiden' played live again. :applause:

The headline of the article is predictably sensationalist. I don't think any of us would consider 'Prowler', 'Charlotte the Harlot', 'Phantom of the Opera', 'Iron Maiden' and 'Prodigal Son' to be among their "biggest selling hits".

With this, Harris will be inspired to lift lyrics from this:

I don't know what I'm writtin'
But I sure know where I've stole
Hanging on the lyrics in songs of other men
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
Here I go again, here I go again
Rainbow's Gold has the following line:

And your bird she's singing
Catch your soul, he's willing to fly away

So, now it's one line? Next time they'll get sued, they will get sued for use of one word?

P.S. Why oh why is Wrathchild not a part of the Lawsuit?

I had a feeling this was going to happen mid-tour. I guess this is what Barry McKay was referring to when he said: "...papers are currently being prepared to commence a brand new legal action for copyright infringement".

Hopefully this doesn't do anything to mess with the setlist.

The Surely We Won't Get Sued For Those (Unless Janick Leaves The Band) 2019 Tour

1. If Eternity Should Fail (Please Roy, don't...)
2. Be Quick Or Be Dead
3. 2 Minutes To Midnight
4. Speed Of Light
5. Revelations
6. Stranger In A Strange Land
7. Powerslave
8. Death Or Glory
9. The Prisoner (Bruce's lyrics)
10. Sun And Steel
11. Sea Of Madness
12. Back In The Village
13. Judas Be My Guide
14. Flight Of Icarus
------------------------------------------------
15. Moonchild
16. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
17. Wasted Years

Metal band Iron Maiden sued for £2million for ‘stealing six of their biggest-selling hits’

Ex-singer Dennis Willcock says he wrote five and musician Terry Wilson-Slesser claims his lyrics for 70s group Beckett were used on a sixth track

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6634750/iron-maiden-lyric-law-suit-investigation/

And the saga goes on.

It is interesting to see Terry Wilson-Slesser joining the lawsuit. If I am not mistaken, he received a nice sum, in addition to any subsequent royalties, when Maiden decided to record A Rainbow's Gold in 1984.

And the saga goes on.

It is interesting to see Terry Wilson-Slesser joining the lawsuit. If I am not mistaken, he received a nice sum, in addition to any subsequent royalties, when Maiden decided to record A Rainbow's Gold in 1984.

An opportunity to grab some money, I guess. Terry W-S's reason of suing because of one line is pathetic. With Life's Shadow it was clear as day that Steve borrowed a bit more than he should have. But one line? Come on. Now somebody will sue for the line "I don't know" in FTGGOG which was used in numerous songs, because he can.

Willcock's part is far more interesting.

EDIT: Never mind, I'd rather not risk a cease and desist for a statement on an online message board.

EDIT: Never mind, I'd rather not risk a cease and desist for a statement on an online message board.
Yup. I think it's interesting that Strange World is not the part of the lawsuit. If I had to pick a song maybe written by Willcock, it would be that.

I also find this part of the article hard to believe: "He claims he turned his back on music and never knew his lyrics were used because he never listened to Maiden’s albums."

So he was in a band that became one of the biggest Heavy Metal acts in history and it took him 40 years to finally listen to their music? You don't think he ever once heard any of the tracks from the first album or the soundhouse tapes until now?

Yup. I think it's interesting that Strange World is not the part of the lawsuit. If I had to pick a song maybe written by Willcock, it would be that.

Paul Day wrote Strange World according to an interview with him I read several years ago.

Dennis Wilcock and the rest of the Maiden 77 bunch are just green eyed no bodies trying to earn a bit of money off the fact they were in Iron maiden for the briefest of spells before anything official was ever recorded.

The fact that the article quotes Dennis saying “I never realised my lyrics were used as I never listened to Maiden” is utterly laughable as he’s been banging on about his time in Maiden for years now. I bet the guys bringing on this lawsuit know they haven’t got a hope in hell of winning but are hoping maiden just pay up to avoid the publicity.

So, will Willson-Slesser now get sued by McCartney and Yoko?
Rainbow's gold:
Yes I'm so tired

Beatles - I'm so tired
I'm so tired

Maybe David Bowie's estate?
Rainbow's gold:
In the heat of the morning

Bowie - In The Heat Of The Morning
In the heat of the morning

That's why this lawsuit is ridiculous.

Back