Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

Dennis Wilcock and the rest of the Maiden 77 bunch are just green eyed no bodies trying to earn a bit of money off the fact they were in Iron maiden for the briefest of spells before anything official was ever recorded.

Are you referring to this?

http://legacyproject.limitedrun.com...-day-by-legacy-project-at-the-cart-and-horses

Featuring:
"Dennis Willcock - second vocalist of Maiden and original creator of the band's stage theatrics."
"Terry Wapram - wildy acknowledged as one of the best of the guitarists who ever played with Maiden."

I hope this lawsuit does not end up messing the setlist or the tour.

I presume that's the point of the timing of this suit, so Maiden will pay them off quickly rather than fuck up the setlist mid tour.

Without being an expert on law, I would guess this lawsuit may be a lot less successful in that there is no evidence that Wilcock wrote anything, it's just his word against Steve Harris and Dave Murray. Whereas with Hallowed there was the recordings of Beckett.

Would he have any proof of his alleged contributions? Quite possibly not.
No.

I think Maiden should contact Bowie's estate and ask them to sue Slesser for the line "In the heat of the morning". If that happened, Slesser would pull out as quick as he could.

In The Heat Of The Morning and Rainbow's Gold have more in common than Rainbow's Gold and HBTN.

There is a lot of proof that these songs were around when Willcock was in the band (and the band themselves never denied this, no matter what Maiden 77 tells you), but I'd be interested in seeing the proof that Willcock wrote these lyrics. After all, there was also a time when Paul Day was in the band before Willcock.

I've no idea who the third might be. Paul Day and Dennis Willcock have written (uncredited) lyrics indeed but I very much doubt (and for the sake of all involved hope not) that any of them could have teamed up with McKay.
#IBlameRod
Apparently, I was wrong.

I was under the impression that several of the early band members were paid out early on, but that might not be true.

Indeed you were.

More information on the lawsuit and on "The Willcock works":

https://www.metaltalk.rocks/iron-maiden-sued-over-six-songs
Iron Maiden: At the time when Mr Willcock joined the band, Iron Maiden performed a song under this title. In substitution for the then existing lyrics, Mr Willcock wrote new lyrics to fit in with a theatrical stunt involving a sword and fake blood. At the same time, Mr Harris re-wrote the music."
It's the guide lyrics all over again!

The HBTN lawsuit II is so far fetched, that it's incredible.

Regarding the sixth song in the current claim, 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', the court documents claim that the line: "Catch your soul, he's willing to fly away" was taken from a Beckett song, 'A Rainbow's Gold', which was actually covered by Maiden and released as the b-side of the 1984 '2 Minutes To Midnight' single as 'Rainbow's Gold'.

In the court documents the line in question is said to have been reproduced in 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' as: "Catch my soul cos it's willing to fly away."

This is not accurate because the word 'cos' is not included in the lyrics of 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'.

This new 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' action is being brought on behalf of former Beckett vocalist Terry Wilson-Slesser and the estate of former Beckett guitarist, the late Kenny Mountain, who co-wrote 'A Rainbow's Gold' and were properly credited by Iron Maiden on the '2 Minutes To Midnight' single.

I really hope that Slesser and McKay get sued by Bowie's estate now. If they can claim HBTN with this, Bowie's estate can claim it for the line "In the heat of the morning".

It will be fucked out,

"
The documents also make reference to the statutes of limitations, which is the maximum time after an event within which legal proceedings may be initiated, which in this case is six years. Statutes of limitations begin from when the alleged offence is discovered by the aggrieved party (plaintiff)."

All Maiden need to do is prove that Wilcock was aware of Maiden using the lyircs prior to 6 years ago, I'd be very certain they'd have evidence of him moaning about Maiden using his songs.

I could understand the last lawsuit but I don't think Terry Wilson-Slesser has much of a case... We are talking bout 6 words in common.

What is really beyond understanding with both is that it took them more than 35 years to realize that their work has been « stolen ». And the only argument provided is that they were unaware of the facts because they turned their back on the music industry (for Wilson-Slesser actually there is no real reason)!!!

So what, they’ve been living somewhere under a rock or so far away in the middle of the desert and had no contact with civilization so they didn’t know anything about the fact that Iron Maiden recorded some of these songs, sold a « few » records and made some money throughout the years and had some success?? (sarcasm off). I’m sorry but it’s quite hard to believe.

Imo, they just want to follow the trend started with the HBTN case and simply saw the opportunity to make some money. So they went on a mission to recover their memory (the one lost in the middle of the desert probably !!) and by some miracle now they remember all of it.

The « sad » part is that some of this might even be true (just the Wilcock part, I’m not gonna even comment on the other one, it just doesnt deserve any attention because its beyond ridiculous) and probably Wilcock deserves to get some royalties but after all these years, the level of credibility of his statement is quite low.

What is really beyond understanding with both is that it took them more than 35 years to realize that their work has been « stolen ». And the only argument provided is that they were unaware of the facts because they turned their back on the music industry (for Wilson-Slesser actually there is no real reason)!!!

There were pictures of Wilson-Slesser backstage at the AMOLAD gig in Newcastle, so it would be really easy to call him bluff.

The « sad » part is that some of this might even be true (just the Wilcock part, I’m not gonna even comment on the other one, it just doesnt deserve any attention because its beyond ridiculous) and probably Wilcock deserves to get some royalties but after all these years, the level of credibility of his statement is quite low.

True. We now know that Steve had not always been as honest as we thought he was when it comes to songwriting credits. It leaves a somewhat sour taste in your mouth...

All this shit started with the death of Gaddsy, who seemed to be a bridge between the two camps.

Didn't Dennis Wilcock crop up on a few rock news sites a couple of years ago performing prowler with his current band, marketing himself as the original maiden singer?

This reeks of greed and hypocrisy, and as for the implication that he didn't know those songs were on record? Bullshit.

These people would be nobodies if not for their brief involvement in the band and they're doing nothing but sullying their own names with this behaviour.

Back