Maiden settles the Hallowed Be Thy Name claim in full

I don't really know what to make of all this. I think that whether or not McKay is despisable, the point is, he had a case, so why not work something out of it? Maiden fucked up (plagiarism is some serious shit, even for "just" 2 lines), and the least they could do is pay for copyright infringement. Still, "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is better than "Life's Shadow" by a long mile, and I'm not gonna stop listening to it. Steve copied the lyrics, he was wrong, but the song is no less gorgeous than before. So I guess I'm just glad they settled this down.

so they didn't sue for The Nomad obvious similarities because that song hasn't produced as much money as Hallowed Be Thy Name?

I mean maybe I'm getting old but I don't see how Hallowed sounds like this. obviously the break part is all Nomad.

edit: apparently it's a lyrics thing, so I haven't paid attention... nevermind.

The "tolling" of the bass at the beginning and the moody, soft-spoken intro verse implies that Life's Shadow was at least used as a template for Hallowed. Maiden should do a cover of Life's Shadow now.

Beckett:

Mark my words my soul lives on
Please don't worry cause I have gone
I've gone beyond to see the truth
While I consider my new - (youth)

When your time is close at hand
Maybe then you'll understand
Life down there is just a strange illusion

Iron Maiden:

Mark my words please believe my soul lives on
Please don't worry now that I have gone

When you know that your time is close at hand,
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion.

I mean, lyrically it's pretty obvious.

so they didn't sue for The Nomad obvious similarities because that song hasn't produced as much money as Hallowed Be Thy Name?
I thought the reason they included Dave in the lawsuit was to cover The Nomad as well. Surely it is a much smaller percentage of income considered in the judgement.

I thought the reason they included Dave in the lawsuit was to cover The Nomad as well. Surely it is a much smaller percentage of income considered in the judgement.
actually it makes sense like this. I was wondering what's the connection between Murray and Hallowed writing wise...

Beckett:

Mark my words my soul lives on
Please don't worry cause I have gone
While I consider my new - (youth)

When your time is close at hand
Maybe then you'll understand
Life down there is just a strange illusion

Iron Maiden:

Mark my words please believe my soul lives on
Please don't worry now that I have gone

When you know that your time is close at hand,
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion.

I mean, lyrically it's pretty obvious.
We're all well aware of this.

Blabbermouth quotes some stuff we haven't heard yet:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ir...ver-hallowed-be-thy-name-songwriting-credits/

"Life's Shadow" was a collaboration between Quinn and Robert Barton, who later recorded the song for the self-titled 1974 album from his band Beckett. At the time, Beckett was managed by Rod Smallwood, who went on to become the manager of Iron Maiden.

In court documents, Harris's lawyers admitted he saw Beckett perform in 1973 and said that Beckett's debut was one of his favorite albums when it was first released.

Although McKay has said that Harris and Murray have been ordered to pay £900,000 (approximately $1.25 million) in costs and damages, a spokesperson for Iron Maiden told BLABBERMOUTH.NET that the actual figure was much lower.

"We do not believe that Brian Quinn was the one who wrote these six lines in question over 40 years ago as was claimed by Barry McKay," the Maiden spokesperson said. "However, due to escalating legal fees and the potential huge costs of a court case, it was pragmatic to reluctantly settle this action with McKay for £100,000 [approximately $139,000], a fraction of what he brought the action for. A serial litigant like Mr. McKay would have foreseen this."

In response to Maiden's statement, McKay said: "To call me a 'serial litigant' is sour grapes. Harris and Murray and their managers appear to me to be bad losers. However, I am now also representing three other songwriters who also allege that Steve Harris and Dave Murray have profiteered from lyrics that they wrote. If that makes me a 'serial litigant,' so be it. Musicians who have their intellectual property exploited by others who did not write or compose it are entitled to professional assistance."

As far as I can see that was the only possible reason for singling out Dave and Steve for special attention: Dave is co-writer with Steve of The Nomad, and also (as I understand it) played the solo which contains the disputed material.
In response to Maiden's statement, McKay said: "To call me a 'serial litigant' is sour grapes. Harris and Murray and their managers appear to me to be bad losers. However, I am now also representing three other songwriters who also allege that Steve Harris and Dave Murray have profiteered from lyrics that they wrote. If that makes me a 'serial litigant,' so be it. Musicians who have their intellectual property exploited by others who did not write or compose it are entitled to professional assistance."
Well he would say that, wouldn't he? We've all learned that much about him by now. He's hardly being gracious in victory is he? Pot, kettle ...

What a magnificent cunt McKay is. This proves that he just wants to crush Iron Maiden LLP, for his own personal gain.

I think the next song in question could be Sanctuary, which's music was written by Dave and his friends, while the source of lyrics is still unknown.

I think the next song in question could be Sanctuary, which's music was written by Dave and his friends, while the source of lyrics is still unknown.
Sanctuary, for the umpteenth time, was written in its entirety by Bob Sawyer aka Rob Angelo, and the matter has been settled decades ago when it was bought from him fair and square.

If ex-Maiden members, then rather people from pre-Di'Anno era I guess.
I've no idea who the third might be. Paul Day and Dennis Willcock have written (uncredited) lyrics indeed but I very much doubt (and for the sake of all involved hope not) that any of them could have teamed up with McKay.
#IBlameRod

Great, now when are we getting the two extra songs to complete TBoS Live Chapter?

...it's never happening, is it.

Back