Helloween & Gamma Ray

I'd probably enjoy one of Udo's farts more than Hammerfall's music, but each to their own.

Joking aside, it would have been a nice opportunity to hear those Accept classics once again sung by their original vocalist. Udo is the voice of the albums that - to me - epitomise heavy metal.
As a band, old Accept is a far better band than Hammerfall. Udo's solo stuff is good too, But It's just that I don't think he does the material justice anymore. it is played a whole step down which results in a lot of gargling bottom falsetto sounds. That new guy delivers the goods. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed his latest album with the musik korps, but not because of his current voice rather, despite it.

As a band, old Accept is a far better band than Hammerfall. Udo's solo stuff is good too, But It's just that I don't think he does the material justice anymore. it is played a whole step down which results in a lot of gargling bottom falsetto sounds. That new guy delivers the goods. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed his latest album with the musik korps, but not because of his current voice rather, despite it.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree then.

Reactions: Yax
Hmm. Well, I like parts of it. Not surprisingly, it’s the parts that don’t sound Weikathy and don’t have Deris doing his raspy tone.

I’d still rather have a new Gamma Ray album.

I agree with @Jer. It's not bad, but I don't like the operatic duo like if it was an opera with two tenors there. I don't like the bothering double bass drums either and the song has too many layers of sound with 3 guitars, the bass and double bass drums the two vocalists and chorus behind them (reminded me to Blind guardian) and it's bothering to my ears. It's good but not great, I prefer the Chamaleon album with less speed and more creativity to be honest. Kiske is the guy, sorry for the Deris fans.

Yeah, it's not like once Kiske joins he can just become the band leader over Weikath and Deris and start writing his pop songs again.

Reactions: Yax
This is pretty much how I expected it to sound. It's very good. But to be honest, I would have preferred a third Unisonic album. I positively love the debut.

This is pretty much how I expected it to sound. It's very good. But to be honest, I would have preferred a third Unisonic album. I positively love the debut.
That debut is amazing yeah. Not a weak track to be found there.

Chameleon was 28 years ago, 7th. Helloween had lots of bass drums ever since. Did you hope the band's style would change (even to Chameleon, the least popular Helloween album)?
Yeah I know but it's better than Pink bubbles go ape, to me the worst one with Kiske. I disconnected from Helloween since this one. I stopped listening power metal since '92. The same happened with Blind Guardian. I started to hate fast double drums, fantasy theme in every album. I was burned to be honest. For that reason it was fresh to hear Chamaleon album and let Roland Grapow express himself like writer and guitar player. I think they were brave and different of power metal kind of style. I guess since that album they came back to their roots of power metal. But to me with this song they have tried to emulate and use the formula of the long epic Keeper songs and it's not the same. I repeat that I don't like that Kiske sings two lines and Deris the following two all the time. It's not an opera with two tenors. Well, I will listen the whole album and I will try to be more positive.

If you don't like Deris, and well, do not like double bass drum playing.... and well... do not like power metal (or anything remotely close).... hmm, that's pretty conservative I think. A band doing anything close to the genre has no chance to do anything good these days, I'm afraid.

I am also not much into this century's metal, but I'm glad I appreciated nineties post-Kiske Helloween. Very good music.

I don't like that Kiske sings two lines and Deris the following two all the time. It's not an opera with two tenors. Well, I will listen the whole album and I will try to be more positive.
I admit that I am also not sure about this. We'll see how that be on the whole album.

Shit quality, but a very cool song. Chorus is amazing.
Very good song. Kai delivers again with this epic (interesting structure and tempo changes).

This song is essential and unmistakable Helloween from the 80's.

It's better than the last 2 (or even more) GR albums, Night Prowler. These were dull recycled records
Can’t agree with the first statement, though I do agree with the second.

From the Hansen album, only “Born Free” stands out as a song worth remembering to me. “Enemies Of Fun” is kind of dumb, and I have trouble recalling the rest.

Looking back at the past couple of GR studio albums you have the awesome “Avalon”, the good-but-reheated “Master Of Confusion”, “Empire Of The Undead”, and the why-was-it-a-B-side “Built A World”. To The Metal is more dire, but “Empathy” and “Rise” were pretty decent, I guess. Again, still better than the Hansen album IMO.

Back