Helloween & Gamma Ray

I gotta say, if I have to choose a favourite era it would be the eighties. Not just a musical thing, e.g. my fav singers in the band are the first two.
However... I did grow up with (my metal mind was formed by) nineties Helloween. I was in awe when I saw them for the first time, live, after Bruce and his Skunkworks bandmates left the stage. Very good band, they still made some great albums. I am not a big fan of most albums in the previous two decades, but I really appreciate this:

Instead of getting rid of Deris and Gerstner, who have given many loyal years to the band, these guys can stay. Enter Kai and Michael,, Andy and Sascha stay. Maiden did it with Gers when H joined. Blaze could not stay, two singers for Maiden is not what they (and probably a "few" more fans) wanted. A tough break for Blaze, but -relatively seen- he was only 5 years in the band.

I am not sure how I'm going to like having three singers in Helloween, but from band perspective: well done, German gentlemen.

The end of that clip reminds me a lot of March in Time. I really hope there will not be too many "hey, I heard that before moments".

I am not sure how I'm going to like having three singers in Helloween, but from band perspective: well done, German gentlemen.
I'm not expecting Kai to sing too much. One solo song and two-three duets max. Kiske will probably get all the cool choruses.

I’d still have much rather had a couple more Gamma Ray albums during this time, but I’ll try to remain cautiously optimistic.

I guess you can’t blame Hansen and Kiske for wanting to top off their bank accounts...

I don't see Kai singing on any albums. He might sing stuff from the 80s on tour, but with Andy and Michael Kiske on vocals on the albums is good enough. I mean, Kai hired Michael, because he didn't want to sing anymore. Sure he ended up singing in Gamma Ray, but I'm sure he doesn't mind the rest too much.
I’d still have much rather had a couple more Gamma Ray albums during this time, but I’ll try to remain cautiously optimistic.

I guess you can’t blame Hansen and Kiske for wanting to top off their bank accounts...
I'll be very honest, I have mixed feelings about this. I really liked Gamma Ray, glad Kai was doing his on thing and the musicians he was with like Henjo Richter, were a good fit. I LOVE having Kiske back, when I watched Pumpkins United online I was floored. I loved the duets between him and Deris and I felt the band handled the mess of so many members ratther well. On the other hand.... Gamma Ray is effectively dead.

Both Gamma Ray and Helloween sounded without inspiration over the last years. I hope we get some energy and fresh sounding music.
I don't see Kai singing on any albums. He might sing stuff from the 80s on tour, but with Andy and Michael Kiske on vocals on the albums is good enough. I mean, Kai hired Michael, because he didn't want to sing anymore. Sure he ended up singing in Gamma Ray, but I'm sure he doesn't mind the rest too much.

I'll be very honest, I have mixed feelings about this. I really liked Gamma Ray, glad Kai was doing his on thing and the musicians he was with like Henjo Richter, were a good fit. I LOVE having Kiske back, when I watched Pumpkins United online I was floored. I loved the duets between him and Deris and I felt the band handled the mess of so many members ratther well. On the other hand.... Gamma Ray is effectively dead.
Kai is on lead vocals here, @Onhell :

The artwork is simply astonishing. Let me tell you, this album is going to be amazing.
View attachment 14023
It looks.... wow! Not a typical album cover. A handmade painting... definitely a surprise.

I expected a pumpkin themed album cover (only one pumpkin is missing on this album cover, if we exclude the logo). The cover also has some references to past albums (Keepers, WOJ) and the clock is a curious detail - Epic album cover for an epic reunion.

Now we have ''Helloween'' EP and album... :p

Here's another version of the album cover (with the logo right in the middle of the artwork, not hiding the face of the winged creature):

Helloween-helloween.jpg

I expect Kai to sing on at least a couple of songs since all three of them sang on the song Pumpkins United.
Yep. I even expect to have (at least) one song with only Kai on vocals (as a throwback to the debut album). The 12 minutes long closing song (and upcoming single) ''Skyfall'' will be with all three of them on vocals.

The Self-Titled album will come out on June 18th.
View attachment 14018
Here's the songs lengths and the writers:

Only one song from Kai (''Orbit'' is an intro).... I expected and hoped for more songs from him. Not a single song from Kiske. This time they added the song written all by Markus (I bet it will be a great song since he is a very good songwriter, but his songs are always bonus songs to their respective albums). They had said that the songwriting team for this album will be Deris, Kai and Weikath.... Anyway, the most important thing is the album to be great.

It says Regular album, which means there will be some bonus songs (maybe one from Kiske, another one from Markus and more from Kai) - releasing a few bonus songs to their albums became a tradition for the band.

I like how (on Wikipedia) Kai is listed: lead vocals, guitars.

track list.png

European tour postponed to 2022 (what a surprise!)

162705846_292344875588418_5377235583222340908_o.jpg

Sadly now with Hammerfall as support act instead of Dirkschneider, something that makes the tour less appealing to me.

UDO isn't in good vocal shape. His falsetto has seen better days. Had a great time back in 2007 though.
Hammerfall is a cheesy band, but their earlier stuff is pretty fun and the singalong choruses make them a fun live act. I rarely listen to them, but I've enjoyed both shows I've been to. Helloween + Hammerfall would be more enjoyable for me than Helloween + UDO.

I'd probably enjoy one of Udo's farts more than Hammerfall's music, but each to their own.

Joking aside, it would have been a nice opportunity to hear those Accept classics once again sung by their original vocalist. Udo is the voice of the albums that - to me - epitomise heavy metal.

Back