Helloween & Gamma Ray

Walls of Jericho (pre-Kiske) and Master of the Rings (post-Kiske).
It took some time, but I have listened a bit to Helloween recently. Master of the Rings is probably my favourite of the non-Kiske albums I have heard. The Dark Ride is good too.

Walls of Jericho.. I don't know, the songs might be good but I don't like Kai Hansen's performance. I liked his medley on United Alive though.

And I am still looking forward to the new album.

Better than raw is my favorite post Kiske album. Though at least I can remember the tracklist to Master of the rings, which is more than I can say about time of the oath lol

The Time of the Oath is awesome. Better Than Raw would be almost as good if it didn't have that terrible filler song sung in Latin. As for the later albums, I'd put Keeper: Legacy and Gambling with the Devil on par with those. Maybe 7 Sinners too.

Yup, keeper legacy is awesome. I live the song in latin lol. I like time of the oath, but it's just... Forgettable.

Finally some news regarding new Helloween music.

"Flatten the runway with a loud drumbeat, here comes the beginning of something big: The spectacular single "SKYFALL" will be released April 2nd, 2021!
1f449_1f3fb.png
Pre-order now: http://nblast.de/Helloween-Skyfall
1f4a5.png
The epic 12 minute song, written by Kai Hansen, will be released in two versions: The A-side features the 7 minute single edit and the B-side explodes with a 12 minute alternative version of the album track with a new mix and a different singer allocation - available only on this very single! The second edition will offer "INDESTRUCTIBLE" as the B-side, another precursor from the album. Limited availability, on vinyl only with premium packaging.
1f449_1f3fb.png
The upcoming album will follow in summer 2021."
1607364722837.png

My first thought lol. Also it's kind of a shame that Gamma Ray has sputtered out of existence.

• Sad
Reactions: Jer

1f4a5.png
The epic 12 minute song, written by Kai Hansen, will be released in two versions: The A-side features the 7 minute single edit and the B-side explodes with a 12 minute alternative version of the album track with a new mix and a different singer allocation - available only on this very single! The second edition will offer "INDESTRUCTIBLE" as the B-side, another precursor from the album. Limited availability, on vinyl only with premium packaging.

A song written by Kai is always good - he's such a great songwriter. Hope the album will be great. :)

Also it's kind of a shame that Gamma Ray has sputtered out of existence.
It's sad indeed, but in my opinion, not very surprising, because Helloween has more commercial potential :
Gamma Ray was in its heyday during the period when metal was the least popular, namely the mid-90s, and they can really be thanked for releasing Land of the Free (1995), which was a real "light in the black" for all those who like heavy/true/speed metal. However, Helloween was already around in a period (late 80s) that is currently succesfully marketed by the musical nostalgia industry, regardless of their respective artistic merits, which are subjective anyway, as shown by the United Alive setlist. ;)

Helloween are one of the bands with the most bonus songs to their albums:

1984 - Oernst Of Life

1985 - Starlight, Murderer, Warrior, Victim Of Fate, Cry For Freedom - from the Helloween EP

1986 -
Judas

1987 - Savage, Livin' Ain't No Crime

1988 - Save Us, Don't Run For Cover

1991 - Shit And Lobster, Les Hambourgeois Walkways (Instrumental), You Run With The Pack

1993 - I Don't Care, You Don't Care, Oriental Journey (Instrumental), Cut In The Middle, Get Me Out Of Here, Red Socks And The Smell Of Trees (Instrumental), Ain't Got Nothing Better

1994 - Can't Find Your Desire, Grapowski's Malmsuite 1001 (In D Doll) (Instrumental), Star Invasion, Silicon Dreams

1996 - Still I Don't Know, Take It To The Limit, Walk Your Way, Light In The Sky, Time Goes By

1998 - Back On The Ground, A Game We Shouldn't Play

2000 - The Madness Of The Crowds, Deliver Us From Temptation

2003 - Far Away

2005 - Revolution

2007 - We Unite, Find My Freedom, See The Night, Never Surrender

2010 - I'm Free, Faster We Fall, Aiming High

2013 - Another Shot Of Life, No Eternity

2015 - I Wish I Were There, Wicked Game, Free World, Nightmare, More Than A Lifetime

2021 - Pumpkins United (released in 2017... bonus song to the Helloween album), Golden Times, Save My Hide, We Are Real

*there's one song from 1998 named Moshi Moshi~Shiki No Uta - at first it's a live drum solo and then after it the original instrumental song starts (also live) - this instrumental part can be found as a full song in Gamma Ray song ''One With The World'' from their 1991 album.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

songs in total! (19 of them are solely written by Markus Grosskopf - he is a great songwriter).

There are some pretty good songs which (IMO) should have been added to their respective albums. My favorites are: Deliver Us From Temptation, Revolution, We Unite, Save Us, the whole EP, Judas and of course, Pumpkins United.

Last edited:
I'd say a real bonus track is rather something that had a limited/restricted release (as an addition to a restricted audience, e.g. the Japanese market) or that was not available at all on earlier editions.

1985 - Starlight, Murderer, Warrior, Victim Of Fate, Cry For Freedom - from the Helloween EP
1986 -
Judas

were releases of their own

The Helloween EP
The Judas single

Not as bonus material. So as material (songs) themselves I cannot regard them as bonus.

Helloween are one of the bands with the most bonus songs to their albums:

1984 - Oernst Of Life

1986 -
Judas

1987 - Savage, Livin' Ain't No Crime

1988 - Save Us, Don't Run For Cover

1991 - Shit And Lobster, Les Hambourgeois Walkways (Instrumental), You Run With The Pack

1993 - I Don't Care, You Don't Care, Oriental Journey (Instrumental), Cut In The Middle, Get Me Out Of Here, Red Socks And The Smell Of Trees (Instrumental), Ain't Got Nothing Better

1994 - Can't Find Your Desire, Grapowski's Malmsuite 1001 (In D Doll) (Instrumental), Star Invasion, Silicon Dreams

1996 - Still I Don't Know, Take It To The Limit, Walk Your Way, Light In The Sky, Time Goes By

1998 - Back On The Ground, A Game We Shouldn't Play

2000 - The Madness Of The Crowds, Deliver Us From Temptation

2003 - Far Away

2005 - Revolution

2007 - We Unite, Find My Freedom, See The Night, Never Surrender

2010 - I'm Free, Faster We Fall, Aiming High

2013 - Another Shot Of Life, No Eternity

2015 - I Wish I Were There, Wicked Game, Free World, Nightmare, More Than A Lifetime

2017 - Pumpkins United ....(independent single)

*there's one song from 1998 named Moshi Moshi~Shiki No Uta - at first it's a live drum solo and then after it the original instrumental song starts (also live) - this instrumental part can be found as a full song in Gamma Ray song ''One With The World'' from their 1991 album.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

songs in total! (18 of them are solely written by Markus Grosskopf - he is a great songwriter).

There are some pretty good songs which (IMO) should have been added to their respective albums. My favorites are: Deliver Us From Temptation, Revolution, We Unite, Save Us, the whole EP, Judas and of course, Pumpkins United.
My favourite are probably "Livin' Ain't No Crime", "Save Us" and "A Game We Shouldn't Play" (the first EP doesn't really count here I think).

"Flatten the runway with a loud drumbeat, here comes the beginning of something big: The spectacular single "SKYFALL" will be released April 2nd, 2021!
1f449_1f3fb.png
Pre-order now: http://nblast.de/Helloween-Skyfall
1f4a5.png
1f449_1f3fb.png
The upcoming album will follow in summer 2021."
View attachment 13245
Additional cover art for the single:

skyfall.jpg

Back