Hallowed Be Thy Name

How good is Hallowed Be Thy Name on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Oh come on...it's Hallowed Be Thy Name. What do you expect me to give this?

For the sake of relevancy, Hallowed is nothing short of a masterpiece. While I rank a few personal favourites above it, Hallowed is easily in my top 5, and easily in most other people's top 5's also. Sublime pacing, story-telling, performances, it has everything you could want from a great Maiden song.

10/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Hallowed Be Thy Name: 10/10

2: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
3: Killers: 9/10
4: Children Of The Damned: 8/10
5: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
6: The Number Of The Beast: 8/10
7: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
8: Run To The Hills: 7/10
9: Purgatory: 7/10
10: 22 Acacia Avenue: 7/10
11: Wrathchild: 7/10
12: Transylvania: 7/10
13: Prodigal Son: 6/10
14: Strange World: 6/10
15: Sanctuary: 6/10
16: Another Life: 6/10
17: The Prisoner: 6/10
18: Prowler: 6/10
19: Gangland: 5/10
20: Genghis Khan: 5/10
21: Iron Maiden: 5/10
22: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
23: Twilight Zone: 5/10
24: Drifter: 4/10
25: Running Free: 4/10
26: Innocent Exile: 4/10
27: Invaders: 3/10
28: Total Eclipse: 3/10
29: The Ides Of March: 2/10

This is THE Heavy Metal song and no one can tell me the opposite. What an accomplishment for Harris, a 25-year-old at that moment.

I was lucky that I was introduced to Iron Maiden with this song. I fell in love immediately with those fantastic riffs and Bruce's storytelling.
As the time passed by, I found Iron Maiden songs that I would love more that HBTN, despite its sentimental value. However, I can't say that I found Iron Maiden songs that are better than HBTN.

Everything in this song is as it should be, in its proper place. I love how the narrative goes on to culminate at what I consider one of the best Iron Maiden moments at 6:41. Fantastic lead by Dave.

This is a bloody GIANT and one of the best songs in the history of music.

The highlight: Fantastic sustained note at 6:41, accompanied by fantastic lead guitar. This is truly one of the best moments in Iron Maiden catalog.

10/10

10/10. Where to even start on my thoughts about this song?!?! The vocals, guitars, drums, and bass are all f***ing incredible!!! I love the intro on this song! That is definitely one of the coolest intros ever made. The guitar almost sounds like a keyboard or something, it's crazy. This is one to turn up extra loud.

10 again. Masterpiece of a song and I can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

I remember playing Ed Hunter for the very first time. I was stuck on the first level for many hours, and Hallowed was playing over and over all the time. I got so sick of the song that I didn't listen to it for at least four or five years:puke:

However, I have started to like it again, and finally understand why this is regarded as a classic Maiden song. Great closing track. The first minute is pure brilliance. Great atmosphere and guitar solos. The studio version is a bit slow, it sound better live with faster pace. 9/10

Possibly the pinnacle of metal or at the very least a massive milestone. A funk/jazz bass player friend of mine had to learn it for a college band he was in. He didnt get how I loved Maiden but could also groove to Prince or The Meters, he didnt get metal at all. Until he learned Hallowed. He learned to respect Metal and 'arrys right hand and song writing. As much as he opened me to Jaco, I taught him to appreciate that Metal aint just 'loud noise' 10/10 live 8/10 recorded

10/10

Hallowed Be Thy Name is a musical tour de force, it is a band in their absolute prime at the top of their game. Murray’s clean guitar buildup during the intro and foreboding church bells create a dismal atmosphere, with Bruce singing from behind the bars of a cold cell on death row. Dickinson is an absolute revelation on Hallowed - he starts in a soft, sorrowful baritone, holds a couple notes for a good 20 seconds (check out the Rock in Rio version for an even longer note hold), and crescendos into a perfect shout for the remainder of the song. He truly sounds like a desperate man looking for answers during his final hours. Smith and Murray’s guitar harmonies throughout are divine, and their beautiful solos lead the song into a confident, rollicking second half. By the time the song ends, there is no doubt that Iron Maiden have arrived in epic fashion.

It's Hallowed, not much can be said about it that hasn't been said already, so I'll just say this: I used to dislike this song. I don't know why, maybe I didn't have the attention span for it. It took learning it on guitar for me to appreciate it a bit more. The riffs are really fun and creative. Notice how on the riff in between the verses, the top note (B) is played staccato every other repeat. Nice little nuance that you don't get often from Metal bands, or Maiden even. All the riffs in this are haunting. While it isn't a funeral doom song, I definitely get a dirge vibe from a lot of it.

My only real gripe with the song is the solo section. For a couple guitarists with probably the best batting average in Metal, neither of their solos here do it for me. That won't stop me from giving it a 10, however. Perfect way to close the album.

Simply one of the greatest pieces of music ever written. It's an absolute masterpiece that stands up you anything composed by the great writers of any genre.

The clever structure, haunting atmosphere (which is the song's true virtue), stunning vocals, exhilarating riffs. The thumping rhythm section which changes gears so beautifully and the wonderful pathos of the story. It's perfect.

Just take my 10.

This is the ultimate track from IM catalogue. Everything about this masterpiece has already been said.

Just take my 10.

This is the ultimate track from IM catalogue. Everything about this masterpiece has already been said.
Even the haters'? :p

Seriously though, Hallowed is at the same time Iron Maiden's most overrated track and deserving of every bit of praise it's ever received. Does it really need to top every list? No. Should it be in the top 2? Yes. 10/10

Let's take a different approach with this. There was like a 4 year period in the 80s where Bruce couldn't sing this AT ALL. What's up with that?

Back