GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Match 1 - Already gave my 2 cents about Trivium. As for Pretty Maids... yeah. Used to be quite respected beck in the day making a bridge between Hard Rock, Hair and Heavy Metal. Never really liked them much but I'll give them my vote.

Match 2 - Rhapsody... *sigh*. Now River Runs Red is another 90's iconic album: the unique mix of metal and hard core topped by Keith (nowadays Mia) Caputo's tormented baritone was really something no one expected. Really enjoyed this record when it came out in the early 90's and still give it a spin every now and then. Easily Life Of Agony.

Match 3 -
Gorgoroth is yet one of those many bands that years later decided to feed on Bathory's Under The Sign Of The Black Mark's crumbs, add it some corpse paint and frowning and call it a new wave... yeah right. Angra on the other hand brings what I already stated... a kinda cool prog power metal record with two great songs in Nova Era and Acid Rain and that's enough to win this IMO

Match 4 -
Never liked Converge. Sounds like hardcore for people that drink Starbucks and listen to NPR.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... Man I still didn't manage to stop laughing. Don't know where the relation stems from but it sure is funny as hell. Of course these guys are technical and really heavy but they always seemed to lack oomph and focus amidst all the chaos and when comparing with other similar acts lacked diversity. Jane Doe is no different and ends up being really boring. Buckethead always sounds fresh, musically heterogeneous and innovative regarding your "solo guitar virtuoso" archetype. Not my cup of tea but more likable than "hardcore for people that drink Starbucks and listen to NPR". KFC wins over Starbucks here ahahahahahhahhahah

Last edited:
The first Pretty Maids song was cool, but the album isn't my favorite. Whenever the singer gets "powerful" he sounds constipated. Even though it's not a great album, I'm giving this one to Trivium.

Second matchup is hilarious. Life of Agony's singer sounds like a toddler trying to sound like Danzig and Rhapsody (as always) is just absurd. I'll take the dragon cheese blend of Rhapsody.

Easy vote for Angra. Great music, even if I don't love the vocals. Gorgoroth is funny.

Converge sure has people playing instruments...Buckethead wins.

I'm having a very hard time with the first matchup, Ascendancy has some forgettable stuff, but some of it is very catchy. It also has the privilege of being listened to twice now, and it was definitely better this time... On the other hand there isn't really anything wrong with the Pretty Maids album, there's a lot I like there (especially the title track and Yellow Rain). I'll need to think about it more...

I'm resorting to a bit of 'what do I dislike least' here. Trivium might have pop choruses but they're more fun than I remember. I've heard one too many Pretty Maids-like bands recently.

I tried a few Life of Agony tracks and didn't get much out of them. Going for cheeseriffic Rhapsody.

Gorgoroth are never going to win against Angra, although to give them credit, this is classically moody and discordant sounding black metal, albeit with a Gremlin on vocals. Angra are really decent here, but what the heck, I'm going to cast a rare sympathy vote and go for Gorgoroth.

Not keen on Converge, so once again going for Buckethead, even if his albums do have really crap names.

I will say I enjoyed what I heard of King KFC. So much so that I, myself, ordered KFC today in his honour.

The last part is false, my roommate got it and I piggy backed on his order.

Interesting snippet, but it still doesn't make an appealling name for an album, to me. As Diesel puts it, though, it does imply bonkers randomness, and that's a reasonably good fit for Buckethead.

Pretty Maids is mid-tier synth-heavy hair metal with OK vocals. There are some nice bits here and there, but this is nothing particularly special. Meanwhile, Trivium has some interesting music on offer, but most of the vocals are bro-yelling garbage that take it out of contention for me. Winner: Pretty Maids

This second match-up is the toughest one this round. I hadn’t heard Life Of Agony before, and it’s a weird marriage of thrash, Dirt-era Alice In Chains, and a hint of punk. It’s pretty good, but not great. Rhapsody is cheesy, over-the-top neoclassical power metal with great music, but yucky accented vocals from Fabio Lione that bring it down a few notches. I’m not thrilled with either choice, but Life Of Agony sounds more derivative to my ears than Rhapsody, so I’ll give Luca some love this time. Winner: Rhapsody

The Gorgoroth album is Gollum pining for his precious on top of boring blast beats for just under 30 minutes. No thanks. Angra by a landslide. Winner: Angra

Converge is mostly a bunch of yelling on top of gratuitously fast lo-fi guitars. There are some more coherent moments, like in “Hell To Pay”, but this is generally not enjoyable to listen to. Meanwhile the Buckethead album is a collection of solid guitar-driven instrumentals. Winner: Buckethead

Back