GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Pretty Maids - Future World vs. Trivium - Ascendancy

The riffs on the opening track of the Pretty Maids album is more exciting than anything on the Trivium album. Not loving the way synths are utilized but the guitar tone is pretty killer. Ascendancy's production is a turn-off with how pristine it is. I found Future World more listenable, even if it's not much to write home about.

Life of Agony - River Runs Red vs. Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands

Being familiar with Rhapsody from previous rounds, the first few seconds of River Runs Red pretty much indicated where the vote would go in this round. There wasn't much that stuck with me from the tracks I checked out so the replay value isn't really there but the style is much better than the moldy cheesefest of Rhapsody.

Gorgoroth - Pentagram vs. Angra - Rebirth

As I said in their previous appearance, Angra sounds like a copycat version of bands better than they are. Pentagram's opening track trounces Rebirth straight away. The vocals on the Gorgoroth album do drag the album down, not because they are shrieks - I enjoy a good shriek- but because they sound so weirdly high. Would be better with better shrieks. The music is excellent though, I ended up listening to the entire thing.

Converge - Jane Doe vs. Buckethead - Pepper's Ghost

Really irritated by the bashing drums and the terrible yelling vocals of Jane Doe. I get it, but I don't enjoy it. They lack the compelling riffs to make this style work. They're relying on tone and attack of the playing too much, the actual compositions aren't strong. The moments they get it together are few and far between. Pepper's Ghost isn't amazing and needs vocals to be more compelling, but it's much more listenable. I side with the extreme metal option pretty frequently in this game, but not here.

This second match-up is the toughest one this round. I hadn’t heard Life Of Agony before, and it’s a weird marriage of thrash, Dirt-era Alice In Chains, and a hint of punk. It’s pretty good, but not great. Rhapsody is cheesy, over-the-top neoclassical power metal with great music, but yucky accented vocals from Fabio Lione that bring it down a few notches. I’m not thrilled with either choice, but Life Of Agony sounds more derivative to my ears than Rhapsody, so I’ll give Luca some love this time. Winner: Rhapsody
I don't understand what makes you dislike Lione so much, other than his accent. The guy is one of the most talented singers in metal.

I don't understand what makes you dislike Lione so much, other than his accent. The guy is one of the most talented singers in metal.
I don’t like his accent. I don’t like the timbre of his voice. I don’t like the way he does vibrato. I don’t hear any conviction or authenticity in his singing. Just about everything he does rubs me the wrong way, other than his ability to hit notes.

I don’t like his accent. I don’t like the timbre of his voice. I don’t like the way he does vibrato. I don’t hear any conviction or authenticity in his singing. Just about everything he does rubs me the wrong way, other than his ability to hit notes.
Fair enough.

I was a teenager and metal fan in 1987, so how in the heck do I not remember Pretty Maids? It sounds a little dated now, but I want to hear more.

Angra is an easy win.

Throwing a meaningless vote to Converge because, even though it's not for me, they impress me with creating something new and totally over the top, whereas Buckethead seems to just record riffs in his basement but doesn't know how to write a song.

Finally, Rhaposody is just too cheesy to advance any farther.

So I decided on Trivium for the first round for higher highs, though I wouldn't mind Pretty Maids taking it instead.

River Runs Red is super groovy and I love the vocals, again not that I mind the other band winning but we aren't exactly lacking cheesy power metal here...

Gorgoroth is very weak here, I think I even liked the Antichrist EP better... Hopefully Angra will go out at least the next round, but goodish power metal is better than whatever Gorgoroth is...

Finally, Converge isn't bad but Buckethead is more seamless.

tenor.gif

In interest of time and moving the game along, I'll accept the tiebreaker.

Pretty Maids wins and knocks Trivium completely out of the GMAC. They'll be up against Neurosis in League 15.
Rhapsody defeats Life of Agony. That was the only Life of Agony album in the game, and Rhapsody next battles Ne Obliviscaris.
Angra beats Gorgoroth fairly adeptly, and Gorgoroth has been eliminated. Angra meets Van Halen in the next league.
And finally, Buckethead destroys Converge decisively, surely bringing a tear to Cried's eye. There's no other Converge in the game, so the upcoming text for the master guitarsmith is Savatage.

Obituary-Cause_of_death.jpg

Obituary - Cause of Death (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 52
League 16 - Match 21vs.
Meshuggah-DestroyErase.jpg

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 77
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer 20-3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kalmah_12_gauge_album_cover.jpg

Kalmah - 12 Gauge (2010)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 64
League 16 - Match 22vs.
The_Marriage_of_Heaven_and_Hell_Part_I.jpg

Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 80
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated HammerFall - Legacy of Kings 14-10.

Kamelot_karma.jpg

Kamelot - Karma (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 67
League 16 - Match 23vs.
White_Zombie_La_Sexorcisto_Devil_Music%2C_Vol._1.jpg

White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 93
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast 13-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Testament_-_Practice_What_You_Preach.jpg

Testament - Practice What You Preach (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 56
League 16 - Match 24vs.
The_Real_Thing_album_cover.jpg

Faith No More - The Real Thing (1989)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 75
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Aria - Герой Асфальта 20-5.

Back