GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I think a lot of those lists are really terrible alright, but to be fair, it's a good cross section of terrible, which adds a nice bit of variety to the game.
I haven't looked at either list beyond a quick glance but I suspect there's not many albums that feature on both Rolling Stones and Metal Kingdoms lists :lol:

What the hell kind of mathematical formula is this? :mad:
If an album has one review and that review is a 100, it will be lower than an album with a 97 average over 20 reviews.

If an album is reviewed 300 times and the average is a 7, no, it won’t be in the Top 100. Sorry if I worded it poorly.

I think a lot of those lists are really terrible alright, but to be fair, it's a good cross section of terrible, which adds a nice bit of variety to the game.
I haven't looked at either list beyond a quick glance but I suspect there's not many albums that feature on both Rolling Stones and Metal Kingdoms lists :lol:
Again, the DigitalDreamDoor list seems pretty credible to me. Not that I love everything on it or 100% agree with it, but it is not hard to infer why each album is on that list. Some of the other lists seem more inscrutable. There are, of course, publications that focus on extreme metal more than mainstream or traditional metal, and the lists reflect that. There are, for example, people who love grindcore and tech-death. I am not one of them, and there may be something very wrong with them. :p But they do exist.* Thus we have a game that reflects the wide and diverse styles of "metal" these days. Which is good. The "invisible hand" will give us a consensus Maidenfans list, which will be a valuable resource in and of itself.

*EDIT: I am curious to see what happens when an album like Converge's "Jane Doe" -- which is considered a groundbreaking classic of extreme metal -- shows up in the poll.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the point! I'm curious not to see who eventually wins (though I am curious) but more to see how we end up seeding things. It should be fun!

*EDIT: I am curious to see what happens when an album like Converge's "Jane Doe" -- which is considered a groundbreaking classic of extreme metal -- shows up in the poll.

Converge has a decent following (in the real world, maybe not here). Will be interesting indeed.

Alrighty, let's clean this up.
The Dillinger Escape Plan only calculated their defeat in this round, as they're trounced by Rage. The Dillinger Escape Plan is fully eliminated, and Rage next faces Heavenly.
Down continues their march onward, knocking out Napalm Death. Napalm Death gets another shot in League 16 in Match 27.
Virgin Steele beats LTE in extra time. This was the only LTE album in the game, and next the power metal group faces Rhapsody in a cheese battle.
Finally, Helloween continues their march onward. Godflesh has been knocked out and Helloween next faces Paul Gilbert.

In this series of matches, all four "underdogs" advanced.

Pretty_Maids_Future_World.jpg

Pretty Maids - Future World (1987)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 63
League 16 - Match 17vs.
Ascendancy_album_cover.jpg

Trivium - Ascendancy (2005)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 93
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica 11-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life_of_Agony-River_Runs_Red.jpg

Life of Agony - River Runs Red (1993)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 58
League 16 - Match 18vs.
Rhapsody_symphony_of_the_enchanted_lands.jpg

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 87
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs 15-5.

Cover_pentagram.jpg

Gorgoroth - Pentagram (1994)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 55
League 16 - Match 19vs.
Angra_-_Rebirth_%282001%29.jpg

Angra - Rebirth (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 79
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Twisted Sister - Under the Blade 12-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Converge-JaneDoe.jpg

Converge - Jane Doe (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 61
League 16 - Match 20vs.
R-12248482-1531389328-4062.jpeg.jpg

Buckethead - Pepper’s Ghost (2007)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 93
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Heavenly - Dust to Dust 14-4.

I’m excited to check out Jane Doe. It’s a classic I haven’t heard yet and has been on my list a long time. Pepper’s Ghost is one of the more unremarkable Bucket albums

Pretty Maids - never actually heard these as the name was a red flag, track isn't bad, it's the sort of guff I am in the mood for sometimes, vocal stylings in the chorus aren't great

Trivium - gave an opinion on these before, there's a couple of things that wind me up about these otherwise I might like them, but those things are absolute deal breakers, not least the shouting vocals

Pretty Maids take this round

Life of Agony - don't really remember these from back in the day apart from a band who practised on my street used to cover This Time, I believe this record is considered a classic, but to be honest it sounds really shit from a production point of view, dated by that time 80's Metallica guitar sound, can't understand any of the words

Rhapsody - :lol: A fanfare, are they serious

Life of Agony by default

Gorgoroth - intro sounds good apart from the epileptic fit drumming, vocals are laughably bad, I think there's a servicable track there if you took out the black metal gimmicks.

Angra - opinion given before

I'm going to have to give this one to Gorgoroth, I wouldn't listen to either band, but there is nothing idiosyncratic, nothing you can credit as original in that Angra track, it's all been done before by better bands, and it sounds so artificial and weak

Converge - rubbish

Buckethead - sounds grand but I don't have the patience for instrumental music

Buckethead with the win

Back