GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

*hands out golden medal for best scoring "unpolished, aggressive, less-commercial-than-rest-of-this-league"-album of the tournament*
Golden Medals for Best Scoring "Unpolished, Aggressive, Less-Commercial-Than-Rest-of-This-League"-album of the tournament are not officially affiliated with Greatest Metal Album Cup. These awards are provided by a third party that is not a member of the Greatest Metal Album Cup team. Consume at your own risk. The Greatest Metal Album Cup is not responsible for any side effects that are encountered as a result of honouring this medal. Awards for the Greatest Metal Album Cup are issues solely by and at the discretion of the Greatest Metal Album Cup team. Official Greatest Metal Album Cup awards will be appropriately marked and will be issued by the @LooseCannon account. Don't fall for a fake. Get the real awards when they are issued. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

It’s not even promoting drugs are supposed be experienced under the influence of them, Dirt is the ultimate “I fucked up my life with drugs and please don’t go the route I did” album.

It’s not even promoting drugs are supposed be experienced under the influence of them, Dirt is the ultimate “I fucked up my life with drugs and please don’t go the route I did” album.
Nah... Dirt is the "I'm high as hell, my life's a mess and I don't know where It's heading to" album. The “I fucked up my life with drugs and please don’t go the route I did” album is their self titled.

I’m genuinely curious for all the people voting British Steel over Love At First Sting — are you really that keen on the Priest deep cuts here, or is there something about the Scorpions album that you particularly dislike? I’m frankly pretty shocked by this result.

I think the songwriting on the Scorpions album completely annihilates most of the songs on the Priest album. Like, not even close. So what am I missing?

I’m genuinely curious for all the people voting British Steel over Love At First Sting — are you really that keen on the Priest deep cuts here, or is there something about the Scorpions album that you particularly dislike? I’m frankly pretty shocked by this result.

I think the songwriting on the Scorpions album completely annihilates most of the songs on the Priest album. Like, not even close. So what am I missing?
Speaking for myself, there's more :shred: on British Steel even though Love At First Sting is a pretty strong album.

Some great stuff on that Scorpions album yes.
And true, there are quite a few meh songs on British Steel. In the end I almost regret not voting for Love At First Sting...but I just couldn´t vote twice against Priest. :wub:

I admit I voted mostly for my favourite band in that match. I listened to a couple of songs off Scorpions’ album and I only know a few from British Steel. It’s not a spectacular album, Love at First Bite could indeed be better, I just didn’t care too much about which goes through.

• Sad
Reactions: Jer
Scorpions without Uli interest me to only a rather limited degree, so however ashamed I might be for supporting the Priest bias around here, I do so this time around.

Judas Priest. Look, Dirt is a fine album and a worthy representative of the Seattle scene in the Premiership. But gaining entry doesn't mean a guaranteed advancement. Judas Priest created the superior metal album.
Megadeth because it has Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls and Pantera doesn't.
Black Sabbath. I have enjoyed my time with Walls of Jericho more than I expected to, and it's going to be an album I take away with lots of delight, but Black Sabbath.
I relistened to both British Steel and Love at First Sting over the past day. I think I like Rock You Like a Hurricane more than any track on either album. But for me, Steel is more consistent. Still, both are excellent albums, which is why they're here. Judas Priest.

Reactions: Yax
Priest. As Im sure I have mentioned, I dont get the fascination with Priest but I enjoyed this more than any other of their albums I can remember listening to. Certainly the first half is much better than the second but the second is still mostly decent. Sorry, I dont have details, I listened on headphones in work and dont bother checkin song names all the time. I just go with my overall experience. AIC not really my bag overall despite there bein some good, rockin stuff on this.

Megadeth. Im fond of Megadeths groovy, technically excellent ferocity. Ive never made it full way through a Pantera album. They hurt my head after a few tunes. I got 4 songs into this one. The title track is a banger, though.

Helloween. Tough one. Im probably more likely to listen to MOR again and have heard it more in the past but on yesterdays listenings, Walls of Jericho was much more fun for me.

Scorpions. Again with the Judas Priest. Ive always been bamboozled my this albums status. I find it massively boring. Breaking The Law aside, obviously. Maybe the first track is good too, I cant remember. If Scorpions hadnt won my vote 5 seconds into Rock You Like A Hurricane then Priest had certainly lost it by the chorus of United. What a turd that song is. This album really sums Priest up for me, Breaking The Law and Living After Midnight on the same album, the great and the turgid, side by side. As someone supporting Scorpions here, I know that I shouldn't start poking fun at lyrics but im sure I heard something on British Steel along the lines of "masquerading in his lair, he wants to tangle with your hair." Well, I must admit that my monocle fell into my sherry as I heartily chortled at that one. Like the Jerbil, I am flabbergasted at the severity of the trouncing in this one.

I went with:
DotF. It's a solid album, but with incredibly weird and machine soundalike drum production. The songs range from amazing, to a couple of good songs and the occassional oddness of the title track.
Rust in Peace. This has got to be one of the three best thrash albums ever made. It's just perfection.
Master of Reality. Sabbath with Ozzy, in similarity to Purple, made some incredible tunes, but also a fair bit of filler which just flows by without leaving any lasting impressions on me. Still, the atmosphere on the album is amazing and stuff like Children of the Grave is pure perfection. Facing off against an album I've never really cared for, the result comes easy.
British Steel. This is one of my favorite ever albums. It might not consist of my all time favorite songs, but the energy, performance and flawless production, in conjunction with songs that fit together just right, ranging from very good to perfect makes the choice given to begin with. Plus, the artwork is just to die for.

Back