GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I'll putting double vote for Judas Priest and one for Sabbath.
I'm highly undecided on the second pair though. Both albums are gigantic.

Edit : Pantera it is.

Judas Priest - A little overrated album I think, many would probably have this as Priest's best, but I don't think so. The first 4 songs are out of this world, especially the chosen sample track. The others are ok, not too bad, pretty pretty, pretty good but ultimately eclipsed by the first 4. Also, it sounds crap.

Alice in Chains - opinion given before.

Judas Priest with the win.

Megadeth - I gave half my review of this when I said it was only the classic riff from the Conjuring away from securing my nomination over Peace Sells. Like the rest of the early albums it has a silly little track that let's it down a bit, but unlike the rest Dawn Patrol is actually decent enough. The rest is flawless, and Tornado of Souls has an all timer guitar solo

Pantera - opinion given before

Megadeth with the win

Black Sabbath - Another album very close to my nomination, a flawless record from Sabbath. I prefer the bit of experimentation on SBS and Sabotage but this album is definitely the definitive sound of the Ozzy era. Flawless, even the little interlude tracks.

Helloween - opinion given before

Black Sabbath with the win

Judas Priest - The best Priest commercial album, by a good bit and pretty close to flawless, with only United a bit on the cringey side. Hidden gem tracks like The Rage and Steeler show the power of the album, and no one needs me to point out the strong all time classics that make up the rest of the album

Scorpions - opinion given before

Judas Priest with the win

Alice in Chains - opinion given before.
Pantera - opinion given before
Helloween - opinion given before
Scorpions - opinion given before
Opinions based on previous matches? Do you sometimes vote for an album if you did not vote for it before? These are new matches.

The first half of Defenders is great and The Sentinel is easily a Top 5 Priest track. But that latter half takes a real dive and the last tracks are terrible. This Alice In Chains album is full of great songs and Priest has better records left in the game.

Rust In Peace is a contender for the top of this game. Easy Megadeth vote here, despite Cowboys being an incredibly strong record.

Black Sabbath deserves more votes here, ya'll. I don't love everything on this album, but the good songs trump this Helloween record.

British Steel is also not my favorite Priest record, but the good songs are classics of the genre and I prefer them overall to Scorpions.

I think it's simply that @srfc doesn't want to write paragraphs again that he's mostly already written!

Yeah got it in one!

Also, I think most people probably don't want to read it again either:lol:

Sometimes, I might throw in an extra comment if I particularly like the example track in some round.

EDIT: also, if it's a band I'm not familiar with I tend to write some extra comments too

Last edited:
Do you sometimes vote for an album if you did not vote for it before?

Yep, I probably do, I'm not familiar with Walls of Jericho (and I'm not a big fan of Power Metal in general) and grunge isn't my thing, but I could see voting for Cowboys from Hell and Love at First Sting if they survive.

And I think I possibly did vote for Walls of Jericho in an earlier round, but I can't see it getting a vote from me against the titans that are there now.

EDIT: I did vote for Walls of Jericho against Saboton

Last edited:
Also, I think most people probably don't want to read it again either:lol:
Actually — and I know it’s late in the game and I probably could’ve brought it up earlier — when I read your posts I kinda wouldn’t mind a single blurb summing up your thoughts on something you’ve gone in more in depth before, but it’s what it is and I don’t really mind overall, lol.

I don't really care about the first and fourth matches, so I went with the band I'd rather listen to (Priest x2). Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, and while Cowboys is really good, this is a no-brainer. Finally, Ozzy Sabbath and Helloween both have vocals that annoy the crap out of me, but musically I'd rather listen to classic Sabbath than generic power metal.

Just to drop a note why I voted for Cowboys vs Rust in Peace, album is way more diverse and it retains a great flow while at it. There is no counterpart to Cemetary Gates or The Sleep on that Megadeth album, Rust in Peace is full on 99% of the time. Anselmo makes the things way more versatile.

Back