GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

So far, there are 12 less voters than in the last, Iron Maiden-heavy round. No surprise, of course.

Metallica ends Annihilator's Premiership dreams, and removes them from the GMAC. They'll challenge Helloween next.
W.A.S.P. finishes off Skid Row with a narrow win. They'll match up against Judas Priest.
Iced Earth holds on to finish off the Crüe. They'll challenge Dream Theater in the Premiership.
Death defeats Mercyful Fate, who have one more album to go.

Mayhem_demysteriisdomsathanas.jpg

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 40, Loudwire 49, DigitalDreamDoor 57, Metal Kingdom 21
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
League 2 - Match 25vs.
Dream_Theater_-_Metropolis_Pt._2-_Scenes_from_a_Memory.jpg

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 3
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard, @Collin, @KidInTheDark666, @Midnight, @Saapanael, @The Dissident, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Running Wild - Death or Glory 21-14.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black_Sabbath_Vol._4.png

Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 (1972)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 14, Metal Rules 97, DigitalDreamDoor 25
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @Forostar
League 2 - Match 26vs.
The_Chemical_Wedding.jpg

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Collin, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @Kalata, @karljant, @LooseCannon, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Poto, @The Flash, @Yax
League 3: Defeated Gamma Ray - Land of the Free 28-7.

Black_Sabbath_SbS.jpg

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 36, Metalstorm 39, DigitalDreamDoor 39
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @karljant, @Mosh, @srfc
League 2 - Match 27vs.
JudasPriestFirepower.jpg

Judas Priest - Firepower (2018)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Kalata
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Alice in Chains - Facelift 23-8.
League 5: Defeated Iron Maiden - The X Factor 16-15.
League 4: Defeated Nightwish - Once 21-10.
League 3: Defeated Dream Theater - Awake 20-15.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sepultura_-_Beneath_the_Remains.jpg

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 21, Metal Rules 60, DigitalDreamDoor 41, Metal Kingdom 51
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
League 2 - Match 28vs.
Iron_Maiden_-_Brave_New_World.jpg

Iron Maiden - Brave New World (2000)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 60
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @FTB, @Kalata, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @matic22, @Midnight, @MrKnickerbocker, @phantomoftheicarus, @srfc, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Symphony X - V: New Mythology Suite 26-9.

DMDS wins because it doesn't have interludes and just slays without any interruptions. Also because it's pvre kvlt.

Easiest. Round. Ever.

Dream Theater over whatever death metal band that's supposed to be. I can't read their logo. :wtf:

Bruce, easily. I've always disliked Ozzy's voice, as it sounds childish to me. Comparing anything with Ozzy on it to one of my favorite metal albums of all time is a joke. Even Sabbath's music got better when Ozzy was canned and Dio triumphantly blazed into the band.

I'm predicting that this match will be the closest, but my vote goes with Priest, as Firepower is my favorite album of theirs. Also, see Ozzy's Voice and Me, above. Voc-als fol-low, a-long with the gui-tar, be-cause, Oz-zy can't sing, oh yeah!

Maiden by miles (or kilometres), although this match is slightly more legit than Dream Theater vs. M#txYx){%M up top.

Easiest. Round. Ever.

Dream Theater over whatever death metal band that's supposed to be. I can't read their logo. :wtf:

Bruce, easily. I've always disliked Ozzy's voice, as it sounds childish to me. Comparing anything with Ozzy on it to one of my favorite metal albums of all time is a joke. Even Sabbath's music got better when Ozzy was canned and Dio triumphantly blazed into the band.

I'm predicting that this match will be the closest, but my vote goes with Priest, as Firepower is my favorite album of theirs. Also, see Ozzy's Voice and Me, above. Voc-als fol-low, a-long with the gui-tar, be-cause, Oz-zy can't sing, oh yeah!

Maiden by miles (or kilometres), although this match is slightly more legit than Dream Theater vs. M#txYx){%M up top.

This is also my votes.

Like so much black metal, half of this Mayhem album is mindless cacophony, and the other half is more coherent but super repetitive. And, of course, the production and the vocals stink. “Freezing Moon” and “Pagan Fears” started off with some promise, but quickly veered off into children-banging-on-pots territory. So, not exactly a smashing contender. An easy call for The FlassidightInTheDark Willinael777’s nominee. Winner: Dream Theater

I know we’re supposed to respect our elders and all, but no matter how influential a band has been on music that I love, that doesn’t mean that I’m automatically going to click with that band. Black Sabbath is incredibly hit and miss for me, and this album is no exception. “Changes” is great, and “Laguna Sunrise” is nice, and “Supernaut” is halfway to a good song, and “Under The Sun” had some potential but was underdeveloped. Unfortunately, the rest is basically Spinal Tap Mk. II - Jazz Odyssey, and aside from a few memorable vocal lines it does essentially nothing for me. Yeah, yeah, sacrilege, whatever. The Chemical Wedding absolutely destroys this album, and I’m talking red misting it from a football field away. Sorry, Cornforoed Stick, but The Pfloshiarljeratayaxie’s MrLickerCockerCollieselFTBman’s choice makes your iron bite the dust. Own-nominee bias wasn’t even a factor here. Winner: Bruce Dickinson

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is a step up from Vol. 4, but it still suffers from some of the same problems. The title track is great, if a bit sloppy (and the Bruce and Biohazard cover of it is superior), “Killing Yourself To Live” is quite good, and “Sabbra Cadabra”, “Spiral Architect”, and “Fluff” are solid, but the rest is kind of meh, and I don’t know what the fuck “Who Are You?” is trying to accomplish. So yeah, get your pitchforks out again, because I’m totally not giving this album its supposed due. Sorry, Carlsrfced Mask, but I’ll take Coitalla’s nominee over this any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Winner: Judas Priest

It takes balls for a band so clearly inspired by Metallica to start off their album with such an obvious callback to “The Call Of Ktulu” only 5 years after that album came out. Not a good omen. What follows is a collection of standard bad thrash vocals, too much cut time drumming, and random strings of thrash riffs of varying quality, delivered with some amount of punk attitude. What’s almost completely missing here is competent songwriting, and any meaningful distinction between the different tracks, aside from “Inner Self”, which sounds like it was toned down to be a more approachable single. Some of the guitar parts here are good, but otherwise you can color me unimpressed. While Brave New World is overrated, and only half the album is great, it’s still a far sight better than its competition here. Sorry, @Black Wizard, but MrMidKnickarusrfcollatafed DickInTheDieselmatax FTBannon 45’s choice threads a thin 9 between 10 and 8 here. Winner: Iron Maiden

Ai ai ai, why does an iconic Sabbath album has to meet a popular Maiden related album, and especially in its first encounter.
I wish it could have opposed Mayhem, Dream Theater, any of the previous round albums, or another less popular candidate.

Ozzy Sabbath + Heaven and Hell
Priest
Maiden
Dickinson
Moving Pictures by Rush
The 2nd and 3rd Metallica album.

IMO the most popular works of these bands do not have to meet each other until it's unavoidable.
The only reason for having these albums opposing each other early (meaning first encounter) is leaving open the possibility of having several of them destroyed: perhaps in order to give less popular albums a bigger chance to go through? That may be interesting, but it is not does not sketch a representative image of what we really like most.

Last edited:
imo their most popular works should not meet each other until it's unavoidable imo.
I get what you're saying. Arbitrary, subjective meddling, like that, would on the other hand turn the framework arbitrary. Agree though, not easy choices at this point in the game.

It is not that arbitrary to make a list of e.g. 32 most popular works and put these in different matches (branches). We've been here for years to know what goes on and not unimportant: most of these albums are rated on websites (lists) which were also used to select less popular albums. So it is not that arbitrary. It is a good estimation of what is the most popular. It is a matter of choice: do you wish to have the strongest bunch meet each other, early on? Or not?

That said, LC is putting his soul and energy in this enormous game. He has the right to do this as he prefers. I'll certainly accept it.
Still good to express the consequences (in my view). No offense meant, just my 3 cents.

Last edited:
That last pair is the hardest for me...
Beneath The Remains is probably Sepultura´s best album and a personal favourite but it´s facing one of the best (if not the best) of the Maiden reunion albums.
So should I toss a coin or give the Boys from Brazil a pity vote?

It is not that arbitrary to make a list of e.g. 32 most popular works and put these in different matches (branches). We've been here for years to know what goes on and not unimportant: most of these albums are rated on websites (lists) which were also used to select less popular albums. So it is not that arbitrary. It is a good estimation of what is the most popular. It is a matter of choice: do you wish to have the strongest bunch meet each other, early on? Or not?

That said, LC is putting his soul and energy in this enormous game. He has the right to do this as he prefers. I'll certainly accept it.
Still good to express the consequences (in my view). No offense meant, just my 3 cents.
In my mind, it would be arbitrary. But one could just as well make the argument that albums which face off initially should be of the same sub genre and decade as well to make for a "fair comparison". A Behemoth album vs Last in line? There are a lot of parameters to consider, which is why I think random, or at least close to, selection is the way to go.

In any case, I agree, LC is doing a killer job.

W.A.S.P. finishes off Skid Row with a narrow win. They'll match up against Judas Priest.

Yes! Finally a nomination of mine that isn't Iron Maiden finally wins a game. [chant] "we're going to Wemb-er-ley!" [/chant]

* Skip ahead to the cup draw *

"and W.A.S.P. will be away to.... Number 72... Judas Priest"

ah for fuck's sake.

Back